LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Day one of my second attempt at this diet. This time as a meat eater. I hope it is easier and more fun than the last effort when I was still a vegetarian.

I have used the last month to adapt to my new carnivorous status. I have stopped using protein shakes and protein bars. The problem is I sometimes forget to eat meat as after most of my adult life as a vege meat just isn't on my menu. I am a fairly good cook but don't know how to cook meat in a tasty way.

I have put on a lot of weight, about 6kg, as I have just not been disciplined. Today is a new beginning

I don't believe I am carb resistant. My blood sauger was measured at 4.2 quite recently and even overweight I am only 80kg at 181cm in height. My plan is to limit carbs to around 100g per day. Breakfast was 2 eggs on spinach with feta cheese and coffee.

Snack is dried wors, an apple and a banana. 2 carrots, cucumber and celery, some nuts. Lunch is chicken livers with a very small amount of brown rice. Supper will be a salad with a vegetable juice.

Combines with this I am back on the bike trainer this evening for an hour. Just going easy. I am combining the diet change with a block of base training. Even on my old diet I never found it difficult to ride 2 or 3 hours with just a small energy drink and water. Don't think I should suffer too much.

My aims for riding are to get back on my old pace from 2 years back when I did a 94.7 in a time of 2:45. I am recently separated from my wife so what with the diet changes lots of stuff is now new. Not so easy at 53

I'd say you should drop the banana and just go for half an apple. Will spike ur glucose and make you hungry shortly after. And don't bother with the brown rice. Rather have a salad. Don't worry about food quantities. Your brain will regulate that on its own. You don't Just try to keep the fat up, use an app like myfitnesspal to track ur fat. Get it over 70% of intake but DONT COUNT CALORIES. Its pointless. To quote Mark Sisson: Eat lots of plants and animals (self explanatory) and avoid poisons (all breads, grains, rice, root veg, processed food, food in sealed packets)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be a fairly common scenario. Without knowing how much you've read, etc ... and not wanting to teach you to suck eggs ... herewith some comments.

The 3kg's you lost in the first week are almost certainly glycogen stores and the water that is attached to them. This is very normal. Be aware that if you go back to a high carb regimen, most of this will come back fairly quickly - don't let that freak you out.

Some potential reasons for not loosing anything after that are:

1. too much protein. around 1,5g per kg of lean body mass is required per day, even when training hard. More than that and it converts to carb in your body which reduces the body's ability to burn fat.

2. Nuts. these have a HUGE calorific value. 100g Macadamia's = 700 calories! and it's pretty easy so scarf down 200g per day if you're not careful.

Also, not all nuts are equal. cashews have lots of carbs, macadamias are best, brazils and pecans are ok. peanuts are not nuts - stay away from them.

3. I am of the opinion that calories DO (unfortunately) count. If you want to loose weight you need to create an energy deficit. The problem is how to do this without getting hungry and that's why the LCHF approach with it's high satiety foods works for many folk. You can still over eat, especially on the protein.

If you want to get into the detail, find your basal metabolic rate (http://www.bloodsugar101.com has a good nutritional calculator under the 'diet' tab) to see roughly how much you should be eating. Then calculate how much carb and protein you want to eat and get the balance of the calories from fats.

4. exercise should not be a factor. In fact I find my weight INCREASES when I start exercising after a holiday. This is possibly a shift from fat to muscle or just that exercise makes me hungry, so I eat more ... not really sure.

Regarding calories. My opinion. They do count... but don't count them. THEY'RE NOT RELEVANT ENOUGH. Three weeks will not give u an indication if the "diet" "works". It can only work. It's science. Take it over a year before you decide it doesn't "work". Let me guarantee you, it works. I lost 23 kgs in 2005 and been stable within 3 kgs since. My tips: Make sure you track fat for a few days though to get used to the amount of fat you need. Use an app like myfitnesspal to track fat (BUT DONT COUNT CALORIES - NOT RELEVANT). 70% of intake should come from fat. Remember it's NOT lo-carb high protein. It's lo-carb hi-fat moderate-protein. Don't worry about quantities of food, the brain will do that for you IF your fat is high enough. If your fat is high enough you CANNOT feel hungry.

I'd say you should drop the banana and just go for half an apple. Will spike ur glucose and make you hungry shortly after. And don't bother with the brown rice. Rather have a salad. Don't worry about food quantities. Your brain will regulate that on its own. You don't Just try to keep the fat up, use an app like myfitnesspal to track ur fat. Get it over 70% of intake but DONT COUNT CALORIES. Its pointless. To quote Mark Sisson: Eat lots of plants and animals (self explanatory) and avoid poisons (all breads, grains, rice, root veg, processed food, food in sealed packets)

I hear you on this issue but one thing bothers me a bit. I'm getting about 20 g of rice. Not much. One banana and one apple is pretty much most of the rest of my carbs. I would like about 100g a day. Today I don't think I got near that.

Anyway with all the snacks today I feel quite full. Salad and that it for the day.

One thing I have found helps me is I brush my teeth after my supper. For some reason it stops me raiding the fridge for snacks in the evening.

@JacquesR: “Three major scientific reviews show that low-carbohydrate diets increase the risk of sickness and death”

I know this is falling on the deaf ears of the evangelised, but I'm going to post this anyway.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/jan/smoke.htm?utm_content=buffer1da9b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Contrarian views are quite welcome on this thread North Shore. I should know, I have posted quite a few myself.

What interests me is why you chose a disparaging term as in " on the deaf ears of the evangelized" in order to make your point?

It's not a smart way to open a logical debate where people might listen to your point of view. It is far more likely to get peoples backs up and lead to a mudslinging contest.

So let's try again shall we.

You don't agree with the diet and that fine. Many parts of it I am also uncomfortable with. Please tell us in your own words what experiences you have had or heard of that have made you doubt the safety of the LCHF diet so that we can all benefit from what you have to say.

I have tried reason, rationality and the burden of proof on this thread already. Unfortunately people seem to follow this diet, and the dogma behind it, with a fervency that only the extremely religious could be in envy of. A kind of faith that requires the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved, and Noakes is the most guilty of promoting this kind of pseudoscience.

Did you read those papers? The Meta analyses of hundreds of other studies into the effect of low carb diets?

It feels baffling to me to see how many people can accept this kind of potentially incredibly harmful advice without requiring hard, sound, and double blind medical advice? And no I don't mean a collection of 127 self reported "case studies".

Hmm I did read most of it. And most of it is beyond me quite honestly.

But the first three studies mentioned are interesting.

1 the first one states that a LC diet based of vegetables results in a lower mortality rate than one based of animals. Not really a comparison between LC and HC is it then.

2 the second study speaks of LC but high protein. A

So nothing to do with this thread then

3 the third paper is a analysis of observational studies. Not double blind medical advice what ever that may be. It should be remembered that data is not the collective noun of anecdotal evidence.

Still thanks for the debate. It's an interesting subject that is for sure.

@JacquesR: “Three major scientific reviews show that low-carbohydrate diets increase the risk of sickness and death”

I know this is falling on the deaf ears of the evangelised, but I'm going to post this anyway.

http://www.drmcdouga...campaign=buffer

You've taken a page from a guy (Dr McDougall) who has a business interest in poo-poohing anything but the "McDougall Program" so it doesn't exactly come from a non-biased source. Out of interest, "The McDougall Program uses a pure-vegetarian diet based on starchy vegetables, plus fresh or frozen fruits and other vegetables."

If you're looking for reason, rationality and the burden of proof, here are a couple of studies that may interest you:

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

As opposed to the unbiased Tim Noakes?

The very well recognised, published and peer reviewed studies he cites aren't subject to the same bias.

The sources you cite are all out of date, the youngest is 11 years old, and all consist of too small numbers to be statistically relevant. These are not meta analyses.

The last study appears to be from 2012, but be that as it may this is not a Google competition. Most of the contributors to this thread are here to share their own experiences which may or may not include references to Prof. Noakes & others advocating a low carb diet. Personally I feel better and go faster than ever before although I lean more towards Paleo than LCHF. Done enough reading to make up my own mind, discussed it with my GP and cardiologist and I am happy with my decision. There is enough material and references here to make up your own mind.

Guys,

This is not a debate, its a free world. If you wanna die form carb poisoning or fat poisoning for that matter, is your adult choice.

For goodness sake Northshore, if you wanna cause k @ K why dont you go do it somewhere else. And, please, Noakes is not the villian here, he is a convert, and just sharing his experience with us, with an added bit of science etc.

I mean really....

Have not read the whole thread, but is there a health benefit for cholesterol levels on the LCHF diet? My GP told me this morning to watch out for fat in meat.

Just started the 2nd time now on low carb - which basically means cut out/reduce greatly, sugar (inc. fruit) and flour.

5 days in and lost a kg and feel much better, though thinking ahead for food plans is a schlep.

Thats why i gave it up last time, having lost 5kgs in 5 weeks, it does get involving.

Getting to realise that as i get older, my bod doesnt deal with sugar/refined carbs very well and I cant shift the weight any other way.

The biggest benefit of this approach is you dont have the hunger cycle that the hi-GI carbs sets off.

Have not read the whole thread, but is there a health benefit for cholesterol levels on the LCHF diet? My GP told me this morning to watch out for fat in meat.

On the 6th December 2012, Faculty of Health Sciences' Department of Medicine and the Chronic Disease Initiative in Africa presented a Centenary Academic debate with the following Topic:

"Cholesterol is not an important risk factor for heart disease and current dietary recommendations do more harm than good"

http://www.health.uct.ac.za/centenary/past_events/centenary_debate/

You really need to read, Good calories, Bad calories by Gary Taubes, also, why we get fat and what we can do about it by same author.

Tim Noakes latest "Real meal Revolution" also has long explanations in it.

Your GP should rather have told you that cholestrol as a stand alone figure is not complete and only factor to consider in CVD, as a matter of fact people on this thread are not worried about cholestrol. He should also rather have told you that sugar and processed vegetable oils are the most poisonous.

But ja, years and years of wrong learning wont be turned around in a rush.

Regards