LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

As you mention, everyone is different, and I will not knock your eating type if to works for you. Just remember not to confuse the three issues of FIT, HEALTHY and LEAN. these are three separate conditions that may or may not overlap.

We naturally assume that people who are lean or fit are healthy, but that is a mistake. Fitness is easy to measure (race times), BMI may be a good measure for Fat/Lean but measuring health starts to require measurements that many folk are not aware of or comfortable with (blood tests, etc).

Just to put some of this in context, some years ago I followed a strict low fat hi carb diet, rode a 3:07 argus and was busy training for Epic, had a body fat % of 15% ... fit? yes! Lean, yes! .... so why did I have a heart attack?? healthy, no!

And before you start thinking that my case is special, I suggest you go have a listen to a recent podcast by Mark Sisson where he rattles off the names of far greater athletes than me who have had health issues (Episode 29 of Primal Blueprint Podcast).

This style of eating / diet / lifestyle is not about weight loss. Its not about athletic perfection. It's about health and giving those of us who are carb intolerant a quality of life that cannot be matched on a high carb diet.

I saw a program on BBC Lifestyle about that whole Fat VS Fit and was blown away when a guy who was slightly bigger than the leanest guy there but was fitter. I used to be a Gym/muscle bound nut as a 20 year old and I was always told I had a high bmi but I was fit cause I played soccer as well. But I have been converted to a cyclist and its amazing. You got to live the lifestyle to enjoy the sport you love and everyone has their own way of lifestyle and everyone likes to be opinionated. Sorry to hear about what happen to you, never nice to hear that. And I have seen football players who are amongst the fittest have health issues.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone. This is my first time on this site and I also started the LCHF diet last week monday. I've noticed that there are some people here who are quite well informed on the topic.

Sine I started I've picked up about 2.5 KG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel vet ,dik, bloated, gloated and after weighing this morning, sommer moerig as well.

From what I read from the previous posts it is normal to feel a bit "af" initially, but is it normal to pick up so much weight? I can understand if I don't loose weight/ fat immediately but not to pick up so much. I can feel my pants also fits a bit tighter.

I started cycling about 5 years ago, am 45 years old and are at this stage 23 kg over weight. Being the same weight during last years 94.7 I rode 2h58 and my best Argus in 2012 of 3h09. I know if I can lost these extra kilos, train smarter I can ride pretty descent times.

I would love some advise from you guys regarding this LCHF and the weight I picked up. How long should I give it a try. I was extremely overweight after last years winter (that was a tough winter :blush: ) but lost 12 KG from beginning August till Nov. picked up a few over the holidays (phew!!) and lost about 8 up to the argus. Since then I slowly picked up 2 KG due to cheating and now another 2.5kg in a week and a half. :cursing:

The diet I were on is a very strict (weighing meat and vegs to the gram, only eat certain meats and vegs, very limited carbs and fat)) paleo based diet. I start loosing weight from the word go and also start feeling great from the word go. Although still being overweight, I felt stronger on the bike and had a solid 94.7 (my best) although I know I didn't trained as nearly as hard and wasn't close to being as fit as in 2012/2013.

I'm looking forward to your valuable input.

First q - how much are you eating? If you're over-eating, you're still not going to be able to shed any weight, no matter how hard you try.

Happens quite often, normally you'll find folk eating too much protein and not enough fat. Eating enough fat will ensure that you feel full.

I eat according to Prof Noakes book. Morning- 2 eggs + 2 bacon with a mushroom fried I coco oil wit thick slice of tomato. lunch- Tin tuna/ 130g pork/ lamb/ beef chicken with about 150 g of vegs (geen list) all fried in coco oil. Supper the same or a nice lentil with vegs soup. The portion sizes are plus/ minus. In between meals I will eat some nuts or perhaps a teaspoon or two of mac butter and or a apple. With the nuts and apple I stay in the recommended 50 g carbs a day. I forgot to mention I get extremely constipated :eek: - like 3 days in a row and then on day 4 I need to go to bathroom in total isolation. Its not safe in a 100 meter radius :nuke: :blush:

I saw a program on BBC Lifestyle about that whole Fat VS Fit and was blown away when a guy who was slightly bigger than the leanest guy there but was fitter. I used to be a Gym/muscle bound nut as a 20 year old and I was always told I had a high bmi but I was fit cause I played soccer as well. But I have been converted to a cyclist and its amazing. You got to live the lifestyle to enjoy the sport you love and everyone has their own way of lifestyle and everyone likes to be opinionated. Sorry to hear about what happen to you, never nice to hear that. And I have seen football players who are amongst the fittest have health issues.

Try this guy on for fat vs fit...

http://eatingacademy.com/why-i-decided-to-lose-weight

He is an absolute machine but he was quite chubby before he started LCHF.

I noted in today's Business Day that the price of butter in SA has risen 'a whopping 26.75% since April last year'.

At the same time, 'global markets for grains and oil seeds have dropped more than 40% since earlier this year and domestic prices are following suit.'

While I certainly understand there are many possible causes for the swings, the amateur economist in me can't help but imagine how much of it has to do with simple supply & demand theory and the steady awakening of the world to the new facts about nutrition. Butter is in high demand, while the world (hopefully) increasingly rejects oilseed products and grains.

I also wonder how many grain farmers are right this minute planning to switch to paddocks of jersey cows...

Interesting times we live in :)

I noted in today's Business Day that the price of butter in SA has risen 'a whopping 26.75% since April last year'.

At the same time, 'global markets for grains and oil seeds have dropped more than 40% since earlier this year and domestic prices are following suit.'

While I certainly understand there are many possible causes for the swings, the amateur economist in me can't help but imagine how much of it has to do with simple supply & demand theory and the steady awakening of the world to the new facts about nutrition. Butter is in high demand, while the world (hopefully) increasingly rejects oilseed products and grains.

I also wonder how many grain farmers are right this minute planning to switch to paddocks of jersey cows...

Nah. It's simple Dairy economics. Directly tied to the cost of milk, and have you seen how that's risen!!!

Allow me to daydream, mayhem :)

You have a point re seed oils & grains though!

However - that's very good for those living with low income.

Anyway. Who knows where I can get a copy of the Real Meal Revolution? Cholestorol has rocketed up to 6.5 from my normal 4.5 and I am starting to exercise in earnest again, so I have a real motivation to begin the journey (I haven't been doing it at all properly recently)

You have a point re seed oils & grains though!

However - that's very good for those living with low income.

Anyway. Who knows where I can get a copy of the Real Meal Revolution? Cholestorol has rocketed up to 6.5 from my normal 4.5 and I am starting to exercise in earnest again, so I have a real motivation to begin the journey (I haven't been doing it at all properly recently)

Karl Ahari dot kom

I eat according to Prof Noakes book. Morning- 2 eggs + 2 bacon with a mushroom fried I coco oil wit thick slice of tomato. lunch- Tin tuna/ 130g pork/ lamb/ beef chicken with about 150 g of vegs (geen list) all fried in coco oil. Supper the same or a nice lentil with vegs soup. The portion sizes are plus/ minus. In between meals I will eat some nuts or perhaps a teaspoon or two of mac butter and or a apple. With the nuts and apple I stay in the recommended 50 g carbs a day. I forgot to mention I get extremely constipated :eek: - like 3 days in a row and then on day 4 I need to go to bathroom in total isolation. Its not safe in a 100 meter radius :nuke: :blush:

Welcome to the madhouse :)

It's always hard to "diagnose" these problem from a distance, but my thoughts are like this:

You are in that difficult phase where your body is totally confused .... it is no longer getting the carb fuel it was used to and has not learned to burn the fat properly - you're in metabolic no-mans land! Noake's book is lekker with good recipes, but if you're eating 3 meals a day from it, that's a hell of a lot of energy dense food and I'm not surprised you're gaining weight. Aslo, I don't agree with Noakes that you can "eat as much as you want and still loose weight". That may be try for some folk, but not everyone (not me!). Conversely, Im not suggesting you go on a low calorie diet ... be sensible about portion control and learn to listen to your hunter signals (NOT an easy thing to do).

One of the benefits of a hi fat diet is that the meals are satiating, so there is a natural tendency to eat less ... BUT, until you are fat adapted (another week or so), that benefit may not kick in.

For me constipation is almost always caused by two things:

1. too much protein.This one is hard to really measure without counting calories, but a good rule of thumb is 2-3 portions of protein a day each about the size of your palm.

2. too little salad / leafy UNCOOKED greens.

Salad is the thing! or steamed veggies (don't boil the buggers, it takes the nutrients right out of them). Add olive oil, parmesan, avo and blue cheese to the salad and you're good to go.

If I was you I'd do the following.

- throw away the scale (at least for another 2 weeks). that thing measures total weight not fat:muscle percentages or blood sugar or lipid profiles or any of the other meaningful measures.

- take your waist measurement, and measure it every week. for us >40's that's the best outward measure of health.

- you're 1 week in, so don't give up now .. that just sets you back by a week

- cut back on the protein intake to just 2 meals a day.

- reduce the amount of coconut oil ... it s a great energy source, but your body can't use it yet. Also stay away from bullet proof coffee style drinks. Eat your calories, don't drink them.

- give some thought to this approach. http://www.nutritionj.com/content/7/1/30 Don't be confused by the work "ketogenic", this diet is not ketogenic for everyone, but I now know 9 people who have tried it and they have all benefitted in terms of kick starting weight loss.

- keep a food diary. not accurate to the last gram, but make sure you capture everything you eat. This will help you later if you need to tweak the diet or go see a dietician, etc

- hang in there. this is the difficult period, I promise it does get easier :)

There was an article in some newspaper I think Raport about the rise in the demand for cauliflower.

But the big big roleplayers in SA have really f'ed over our dairy industry over the last two decades. That expensive butter is imported and the local stuff can not be called grass fed. Usually during the milking process the cows in SA are fed something to boost production.

I recon same thing happens in Ireland in some form. Cows needs heaps of nutrients to produce commercially viable quantities of the white stuff.

Allow me to daydream, mayhem :)

WRT Dairy, the stringent new laws promulgated a few years ago are only starting to bite now, and the eskom price increases, have resulted in a lot of farmers going out of dairy, also the big supermarkets suppressed the prices for a long time, making dairying uneconomical. It's only starting to bite now.

WRT oilseed prices, I think there has been an overproduction in some areas of the world, because the last report on supply and demand I saw has a 20% increase in the demand for sunflowers for human consumption.

Oilseeds-SD-30-July-2014.pdf

:devil: Sorry :devil: :blush:

Welcome to the madhouse :)

It's always hard to "diagnose" these problem from a distance, but my thoughts are like this:

You are in that difficult phase where your body is totally confused .... it is no longer getting the carb fuel it was used to and has not learned to burn the fat properly - you're in metabolic no-mans land! Noake's book is lekker with good recipes, but if you're eating 3 meals a day from it, that's a hell of a lot of energy dense food and I'm not surprised you're gaining weight. Aslo, I don't agree with Noakes that you can "eat as much as you want and still loose weight". That may be try for some folk, but not everyone (not me!). Conversely, Im not suggesting you go on a low calorie diet ... be sensible about portion control and learn to listen to your hunter signals (NOT an easy thing to do).

One of the benefits of a hi fat diet is that the meals are satiating, so there is a natural tendency to eat less ... BUT, until you are fat adapted (another week or so), that benefit may not kick in.

For me constipation is almost always caused by two things:

1. too much protein.This one is hard to really measure without counting calories, but a good rule of thumb is 2-3 portions of protein a day each about the size of your palm.

2. too little salad / leafy UNCOOKED greens.

Salad is the thing! or steamed veggies (don't boil the buggers, it takes the nutrients right out of them). Add olive oil, parmesan, avo and blue cheese to the salad and you're good to go.

If I was you I'd do the following.

- throw away the scale (at least for another 2 weeks). that thing measures total weight not fat:muscle percentages or blood sugar or lipid profiles or any of the other meaningful measures.

- take your waist measurement, and measure it every week. for us >40's that's the best outward measure of health.

- you're 1 week in, so don't give up now .. that just sets you back by a week

- cut back on the protein intake to just 2 meals a day.

- reduce the amount of coconut oil ... it s a great energy source, but your body can't use it yet. Also stay away from bullet proof coffee style drinks. Eat your calories, don't drink them.

- give some thought to this approach. http://www.nutrition...1/30��Don't be confused by the work "ketogenic", this diet is not ketogenic for everyone, but I now know 9 people who have tried it and they have all benefitted in terms of kick starting weight loss.

- keep a food diary. not accurate to the last gram, but make sure you capture everything you eat. This will help you later if you need to tweak the diet or go see a dietician, etc

- hang in there. this is the difficult period, I promise it does get easier :)

I'm not sure if I misread it, but I'm sure that in an article that I read, it stated that increased salt consumption would help with the constipation too, but I agree with Dale that stinky poo's (can you tell I have young kids :whistling: ), are a result of too much protein, which would be exaggerated by constipation.