LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

>Not happy with cholesterol levels

You should really be checking your Ratios. Not the absolute numbers.

https://bantingcore.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/so-what-about-cholesterol/

http://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/

The absolute number may go up, or down... but the ratio will really tell you whether your particle size is increasing. If you are still not convinced, then go for an (expensive) particle size test.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand particle size testing is not available in SA.

Jock next - http://lowcarbperformance.blogspot.com/2015/07/new-week-and-new-challenge.html

This is very interesting. Particularly your ketone levels. Have you tried a spoon of coconut oil before bed? I use this sometimes if I've over carbed. Mct breaks down into ketones, which also have the effect of lowering blood glucose. Out of interest, how much fat are you eating?

This is very interesting. Particularly your ketone levels. Have you tried a spoon of coconut oil before bed? I use this sometimes if I've over carbed. Mct breaks down into ketones, which also have the effect of lowering blood glucose. Out of interest, how much fat are you eating?

Fat approx. 70% of daily intake. Carbs approx. 30 grams per day. Don't think I can stomach a spoonful of coconut oil. 

The link just leads to a whole bunch of code.

Interested in your experience at the jock, and am enjoying your blog.

Think there was a problem with Blogger

Been trolling the interwebs after we (SWAMBO and I) started in LCHF "reg eet" 7 weeks ago.  I have lost a total of 17kg and 7cm on the tube so far (and I cheated 2 weeks ago, BIG time!).  I still have far to go though.  The last week it has felt as if everything slowed down.  I do however think it's my dairy consumption.  My training has not been up to standard, very little cm loss, I'm tired, lethargic and very bem03rd.

SWAMBO has cheated more often than I have.  She has lost 8kg though, but she usually craves normal, 100% OJ.  No idea why.  Her BP has stabilised and dropped dramatically though.  From levels where our doc panicked to barely above normal!

So now the questions (I'm on page 26 of the thread, so if it's been said before please excuse me).

1. How do I calculate the F/P/C ratios?
  2. How can I test my ketone levels? I saw someone mention sticks, etc but I can't find anything at the local pharmacy.
  3. I am starting on MAF today.  I did see that it is not advisable to race, but we've entered for Amashova.  So treat it like a training ride?
  4. On MAF, I live in an area with very little flats.  I have seen quite a bit of improvement on my riding, but I am worried about the rolling stuff while trying to keep the HRM just there.  Any advice on this?
  5. Am I having carb fever again due to cheating?
  6. I try and go riding every morning.  We then get to work and after work (5-ish) we go to gym (various reasons, but SWAMBO is not comfortable with getting up at 5AM to go riding).  Will one of the bulletproof coffees help me to go longer before breakfast?
  7. Will USN Phedra Cuts, etc. help?  Or should I rather avoid.  The same with CLA?
  8. Where oh where do I get proper organic chicken with the skin still on?  Our Woolies have the best cuts, but no skin!
  9. Why would SMABO crave OJ?
Edited by ewep

Been trolling the interwebs after we (SWAMBO and I) started in LCHF "reg eet" 7 weeks ago.  I have lost a total of 17kg and 7cm on the tube so far (and I cheated 2 weeks ago, BIG time!).  I still have far to go though.  The last week it has felt as if everything slowed down.  I do however think it's my dairy consumption.  My training has not been up to standard, very little cm loss, I'm tired, lethargic and very bem03rd.

SWAMBO has cheated more often than I have.  She has lost 8kg though, but she usually craves normal, 100% OJ.  No idea why.  Her BP has stabilised and dropped dramatically though.  From levels where our doc panicked to barely above normal!

So now the questions (I'm on page 26 of the thread, so if it's been said before please excuse me).

• How do I calculate the F/P/C ratios?
  • How can I test my ketone levels? I saw someone mention sticks, etc but I can't find anything at the local pharmacy.
  • I am starting on MAF today.  I did see that it is not advisable to race, but we've entered for Amashova.  So treat it like a training ride?
  • On MAF, I live in an area with very little flats.  I have seen quite a bit of improvement on my riding, but I am worried about the rolling stuff while trying to keep the HRM just there.  Any advice on this?
  • Am I having carb fever again due to cheating?
  • I try and go riding every morning.  We then get to work and after work (5-ish) we go to gym (various reasons, but SWAMBO is not comfortable with getting up at 5AM to go riding).  Will one of the bulletproof coffees help me to go longer before breakfast?
  • Will USN Phedra Cuts, etc. help?  Or should I rather avoid.  The same with CLA?
  • Where oh where do I get proper organic chicken with the skin still on?  Our Woolies have the best cuts, but no skin!
  • Why would SMABO crave OJ?

Hi, congrats on the weight loss so far. Try using MyFitnessPal for the F/P/C calculation. I find this very handy.

You can get the ketone sticks at Dischem.

There are some quite knowledgeable guys here, whom I'm pretty sure can give you good advice. I also still have a lot to learn.

I'm curios though, do you experience a lack of power during higher intensity training?

Thanks HBO. I'll pop into Dischem tonight.

Big time drop on power (purely anecdotal observation though). I am going to do a long one this weekend using MAF principle and then LCHF eating to see what happens.

I understand your views. It was a very long slog for me to get to a point where I really felt strong again on very low carb. The kicker also is this: maintaining this state is even harder. I had to go to India for work where I had very little control on meals. I tried to be strict but often had no options. It was a single week of eating "badly", and it put me right back into the starting point again. I went from easily maintaining 2.8 mmol/L ketone levels to struggling to get to 0.8 mmol/L.

Even once your in stable longer term ketosis, there is another set of adaptations that need to happen in the muscles (additional mitochondrial growth, and enlarging) to allow them to become more efficient at burning fatty acids directly. This takes me almost a month to regain.

It seems just one or two insulin spikes completely reverses this in a day.

It's tough. I'm not 100% sure it's sustainable if you really want to race on low carb....

I understand your views. It was a very long slog for me to get to a point where I really felt strong again on very low carb. The kicker also is this: maintaining this state is even harder. I had to go to India for work where I had very little control on meals. I tried to be strict but often had no options. It was a single week of eating "badly", and it put me right back into the starting point again. I went from easily maintaining 2.8 mmol/L ketone levels to struggling to get to 0.8 mmol/L.

Even once your in stable longer term ketosis, there is another set of adaptations that need to happen in the muscles (additional mitochondrial growth, and enlarging) to allow them to become more efficient at burning fatty acids directly. This takes me almost a month to regain.

It seems just one or two insulin spikes completely reverses this in a day.

It's tough. I'm not 100% sure it's sustainable if you really want to race on low carb....

I have not seen anything indicating where muscle glycogen is going to come from and my own experience mirrors this. In short I don't believe it is possible to perform or even train properly. I agree that there benefit to train low, race high but not all training should be done this way. There are numerous studies showing the benefit of CHO for endurance athletes and the results are always the same. It improves performance. 

just a question to the clever LCHF okes on here. What are the health implications of a train low race high lifestyle? I don't race, but my weekend rides are pretty flat out usually, so I don't do carbs in the week, but have some on Friday night and Saturday/Sunday morning. So in essence, I am combining carbs with a highish fat (I don't do very high fat) diet.

Fat approx. 70% of daily intake. Carbs approx. 30 grams per day. Don't think I can stomach a spoonful of coconut oil. 

I pour my cocnut oil in ice cube trays and stick it in the fridge. You now get nice 10g blocks of easy to eat coconut.