Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Tumbleweed

That's a sh*tty comment man... The guy messed up and he's admitted to it and willing accepts punishment.

What were you hoping to achieve with that?

He messed up and you're going to alienate him? Hopefully you don't get caught doing something wrong and have people like you around...

Its amazing that if you get caught, and then confess, it's all ok.

He had the chance to come clean at the Epic. Bet he did not have sleepless nights after that test and celebrated at Lourensford.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He had the chance to come clean at the Epic. Bet he did not have sleepless nights after that test and celebrated at Lourensford.

You're missing the point.

By no means is this ok. But honesty should be applauded, not picked apart by spectators.

You're not helping with those comments. Instead, you're trying to make him feel worse than is necessary.

Either take his apology or don't.

Nobody said it is cool what he did, not even MTBsaaiklist himself. The fact is however he is willing to face the music, even here on a public forum, and for that, I am willing to admit that he has bigger balls than me.

Would you be man enough to come out and confess everything, were you in his shoes? And don't just say yes, because you will have to really try and place yourself in his shoes...

Edited by Coenie

Hell, how much of this **** did you take that it's still in your system 5months after you stopped using it?

You claim that you have contributed positively to your cycling community. Yes, it's must be the first positive drug test in your community.

You knowly took PED before the 3 Towers, no wonder you are not going to defend yourself, you could face a lifetime banned like LA.

L on your forehead!

Blah blah blah... yawn

What I don't see is this drug helps muscle gain for body builders but surely a big guy like MTBaaisiklilist is at a distinct disadvantage on a climb?

So yes he doped for another sport and yes the drug under discussion is on the list for cycling but obviously he didn't dope for the Epic and the doping didn't give him any advantage, quite the opposite in fact.

Really a storm in a teacup. You would think he had groped a child the way some people carry on. He gets my sympathy on this.

The only thing that puzzles me is why he even bothers to get into a debate with the Hub boffins. Not like he is going to learn anything.

Is it legal to wear those during a race?

I wear a hearing aid its just as well I dont race cos you cant wear the damn thing when you ride they get stuffed up by sweat etc but not hearing guys coming up behind you on a downhill presents some interesting problems....people have to shout really loud to get my attention....by the time Ive realised someones "passing left" theyre gone already ...

Edited by mikethebike234

Hell, how much of this **** did you take that it's still in your system 5months after you stopped using it?

You claim that you have contributed positively to your cycling community. Yes, it's must be the first positive drug test in your community.

You knowly took PED before the 3 Towers, no wonder you are not going to defend yourself, you could face a lifetime banned like LA.

L on your forehead!

Like i said to Kranswurm earlier..........What's it like in your little perfect world? I take it you have never driven after having a few beers, spoken on your cell while driving, been caught speeding or never been economical with the truth on your SARS return?? Glass houses and throwing stones come to mind here buddy!! Get off your high horse man!!

This is a cycling forum, not a SARS amnesty group, Barry has chosen to be tried by the hub rather than SAIDS. Sorry but my opinion on doping is that it's totally wrong, in all sports. Just because its not policed in body building does not make it legal.

Well said Happy M! Barry did this inadvertently with no gain for cycling. He's prepared to take his punishment and I think it takes some guts to keep hitting the ball back on this forum.

The Owen Hannie comment is valid. I hope Kranswurm and MooToo are as vocal in their criticism of him as he definitely did it to improve his cycling performance. Shouldn't he be banned for life by your "standards" (which are a bit flexible based on MooToo's attempted dodge above),

Finally, and from this occurrence, it would be an interesting exercise to test everyone on say the Epic (bulk buy for Mr Noakes?). How many dopers would be found? 1%, 2%, 5%, 10% or more?

Nobody said it is cool what he did, not even MTBsaaiklist himself. The fact is however he is willing to face the music, even here on a public forum, and for that, I am willing to admit that he has bigger balls than me.

Would you be man enough to come out and confess everything, were you in his shoes? And don't just say yes, because you will have to really try and place yourself in his shoes...

He has no option but to face the music

Willing has got nothing to do with it

Btw Your suddenly reborn sinner only made his emotional revelation and apology once he was bust not before.Then he did not give a damn

Fyi the steroid is generally not detectable after 9 Weeks of injecting Not 5 Months

All bs

He has no option but to face the music

Willing has got nothing to do with it

Btw Your suddenly reborn sinner only made his emotional revelation and apology once he was bust not before.Then he did not give a damn

Fyi the steroid is generally not detectable after 9 Weeks of injecting Not 5 Months

All bs

What u implying,correct me if I am wrong. That juice was used closer to the time than stated? THE particular steroid that was picked up would def. not benefit a athlete in a endurance event like the epic in fact it would be counterproductive, if I listen to the accused he seems to know the effects of juice and would know this, I too have read that the window of detection is shorter but using winstrol so close to an endurance event makes no sense

What u implying,correct me if I am wrong. That juice was used closer to the time than stated? THE particular steroid that was picked up would def. not benefit a athlete in a endurance event like the epic in fact it would be counterproductive, if I listen to the accused he seems to know the effects of juice and would know this, I too have read that the window of detection is shorter but using winstrol so close to an endurance event makes no sense

Then why lie about the time period?

Maybe it shows longer?? But using it closer will not be done by someone who has used juice before,(he has admitted to this) because he would know that the cramping ( this particular steriods side effect) would be impossible to bear through a epic

Does anyone know how many non-pros were tested during the event? I don't buy the random test thing. Perhaps the Epic should offer voluntary testing prior to the event to anyone that think that due to a medical situation or the like he/she may produce a positive sample of some sort. I wonder how many Sani amateurs would have failed a dope test due to catching a cold / flu beforehand and trying to doctor it away. Sounds like every second rider had some form of cold/flu.

Some education / communication is also required to avoid mass paranoia at next years Epic. What items on the banned list would sanction action against non-competitive amateurs and what over the counter /prescription meds contain these substances?

It's all here: http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/

I am no pro when it comes to roids, but I think you all need to know that some roids builds size. With little effect on strength, whilst other roids builds strength rather than size (pushing heavier weights does however result in size gains to some extent). The test prop (that barry mentioned using before 3 Towers) increases ones strength greatly, and would therefor benefit a cyclist in that he/she would be able to push bigger gears.

You should also know that there is a reason why pros get tested outside their racing seasons. Some of the gains made in the off-peak season will still be there during the peak season. Here is an example: say I can bench press 20kg currently. By using roids ght be able to bench press 40kg in a month's time. If I then stop using roids, still be able to bench press say 30kg in 2 months time. If er used the roids to start with have been able to bensh press 25kg in the two month's time, so the net effect of using roids is still of benefit. That is why loads of guys in the gym "shotgun" roids for short periods of time, because they are "better off" even after the roids are out of their systems.

Again, I am no pro when it comes to roids, but go do yourself a favor and read up on "half life". Each roid has a half life which basically tels you how long it stays in your system. In general, roids with longer half lifes are stronger and yield more results. Dopers (in any sport) therefor use the "stronger" stuff in their non competition season and then taper towards events by using roids with shorter half lifes closer to competitions (so they don't get bust...). Therefor, a pro that tests negative at a race could still have the benefit of doping, even though he/she does not have any roids in his/her system at that time.

Big up to Barry for comming clean, even though it is after the fact. Some people will never own up even after their B sample showed the same results. That being said, I think it is wrong of anyone to assume Barry did not have any benefits due to the type of roids in question.

Barry, please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above, I am no expert...

Sorry about my spelling...