Bad luck.. or other peoples stupidity?

big.mamma

My riding buddy took delivery of the R 20 K Carbon 29er this morning. Goes for a quick 10 minute ride. Returning home he gets charged by a huge aggressive Boerboel which takes the front end out under him and he falls his moer off. Some cosmetic damage to bike and brand new cycling kit ruined.

The owner of the dog is outside and pretends nothing has happened.

When we confront him he asks my friend w

hether he is ok upon which he replies that he is very sore. The owner Louis replies that he is sorry. I ask him about the damage and he replies that accidents do happen My Reply was that the aggressive dog was not on a leash and in the street. He replies his dog can be in the street.

He indicates that he will not pay damage upon which I reply in that case we will report to the police as his dog was a menace previously. He replies that we must report to the police.

Can I request that they remove the aggressive dog? Or put it down?

What to do.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.....En die boerboel het nie eers vir jou geskrik nie, jy verloor jou touch outjie.

If you report to police chances are that the dog will be put down.

you sure , I don't think that will happen that quick , as the dog didn't bite anyone , the owner will probally just get a warning and a fine.

It will be less trouble if you just break a couple of his windows , as the dog owner won't pay for the kit easily , but would be a bit childish

Despite what the owner thinks, he is responsible for the damage. Doubt the dog would be put down, he/she didn't attack anyone or bite them.

Question is, does your friend feel the energy/resources for a civil claim is worth it?

In most cases. If anyone needs to be punished it's the owner, not the dog.

Neighbour's dog bit the Mrs, we said that if they didnt make sure it couldnt run out their gate we'd get it put down. Friends told us that we could go through SPCA, esp as the dogs had been reported before.

Anyway the guy was apologetic and paid the hospital and penned them in.

Funny thing was that when i went round to see him, he came down the drive with his 5yr old kid - i think it was "you wouldnt hit me in front of a little kid would you?" - not that i had that intention.

Exact thing happened to me in january... Owner was also aggressive and defensive toward me.. He even went as far as saying to me that I had no witnesses!! Absolute shocker.... I was going about 40kph... Bike was badly damaged and I was badly roastied head to toe.....

As dit die eienaar se houding is sal hy ook niks daarvan dink as die hond n kind byt nie. Rapporteer dit, al maak dit hom net n bietjie skrik. Hy sal volgende keer twee keer dink voor hy sy hond in die straat sal laat loop.

The dog was a menace previously? He's done it before? If there weren't consequences for the dog, would you report it?

I don't know why so many people try defend aggressive / dangerous dogs. Especially ones that are allowed to roam free outside their yards.

Some dogs are better off getting the lethal injection. Same thing goes for some dog owners, unfortunately thats not legal.

Forget about police (no help) and forget about worrying about the dog (not its fault)

Solution: Have an attorney friend issue a letter demanding payment for the damages within say 7 days, and which threatens with further legal action if he fails to do so, which will aso be for his cost. This often scares most people into responding, but if it doesn't, its up to you to decide if you feel it is worth intrducing further legal action.

Edited by Firemeister