Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Figured out a lekker little spice mix the other night for pork chops - Robertsons Crushed Garlic, with Ina Paarman's Meat Spice and Robertsons Steak & Chop spice, it came out lekker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone had any experience with a slow cooker? The Mrs and I bought one a little while ago, but haven't used it yet.

Brilliant for soups and stews!! Have not used it for anything else.

Not sure what functions yours has. We had one at the office last winter (nice thing about a small office) and would prepare everything in the morning, timer would kick in at 11h30 and start the cooking of the soup, lovely fresh soup for lunch at 14h00!!!

Brilliant for soups and stews!! Have not used it for anything else.

Not sure what functions yours has. We had one at the office last winter (nice thing about a small office) and would prepare everything in the morning, timer would kick in at 11h30 and start the cooking of the soup, lovely fresh soup for lunch at 14h00!!!

Sounds good, I think we'll test it out this winter then :thumbup:

Most likely a better question for the Braai thread, but here goes:

I love cooking on the weber, recently got a pizza stone which works like a dream. However I find that on the 3rd or 4th pizza the coals die out, then in comes the braai dragon and I need to jumpstart the fire again. How does one go about keeping your fire alive and kicking whilst the lid is closed. I have the bottom and top vents completely open.

Anyone had any experience with a slow cooker? The Mrs and I bought one a little while ago, but haven't used it yet.

Soups, stews..leg of lamb/ topside..does oxtail really well..curry, you name it it can go into the slow cooker.. really handy in winter when you make hearty meals... no fuss.. chuck it all in an forget about it ...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have read that food cooked in a pressure cooker is way healthier than food cooked in a slow cooker. Apparently slow cooking destroys a lot of the nutrients whereas pressure cooking locks them in. This is what I read.

Most likely a better question for the Braai thread, but here goes:

I love cooking on the weber, recently got a pizza stone which works like a dream. However I find that on the 3rd or 4th pizza the coals die out, then in comes the braai dragon and I need to jumpstart the fire again. How does one go about keeping your fire alive and kicking whilst the lid is closed. I have the bottom and top vents completely open.

Try closing the bottom vents halfway to prolong the coal life. You'll need to find the sweet spot where they're getting just enough air to burn but not too much to burn out quickly. Also try use charka triquettes. Much longer burn time as they use less filler in the production.

I have read that food cooked in a pressure cooker is way healthier than food cooked in a slow cooker. Apparently slow cooking destroys a lot of the nutrients whereas pressure cooking locks them in. This is what I read.

I've just spoken to someone in the office about that, and she says the same thing. Oh well, 1x slow cooker will be advertised for sale.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

We have a pressure cooker that we have used countless times - 1 000 x soups, leg of lamb so tender it falls of the bone in 60 mins, stews, etc. Tomato soup in 20 mins, butternut 40 mins, and so on.

If you plan on getting one get the electric one, and one that has a "browning" function. Do everything in the same pot, and dinner is ready within an hour max.

We have a pressure cooker that we have used countless times - 1 000 x soups, leg of lamb so tender it falls of the bone in 60 mins, stews, etc. Tomato soup in 20 mins, butternut 40 mins, and so on.

If you plan on getting one get the electric one, and one that has a "browning" function. Do everything in the same pot, and dinner is ready within an hour max.

Ja I think a pressure cooker will be the way to go for winter.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I reckon I will use my smart shopper credit and go buy myself an electric pressure cooker..as I am moer scared of the stove top one.

I reckon I will use my smart shopper credit and go buy myself an electric pressure cooker..as I am moer scared of the stove top one.

I think I remember us having one when we grew up, and my mom forbid us to go into the kitchen when she used it, haha. Seems dodge, probably isn't.

You won't be sorry for getting one - really a great piece of kitchen equipment.

They are pretty safe provided you familiarize yourself with the destructions. I use mine for sterilizing Mycology stuff. When it starts singing, that takes some getting used to.