Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mutton.

Grilled in oven with grill set to high for 7-8 minutes a side to brown it. Set aside to cool a bit, added roughly chopped veg (carrots, onions, sweet peppers) to dish, salt and pepper, some white wine vinegar. Placed mutton on top, drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil, added garlic and spice rub. 

Covered tightly in foil and cooked at 100C for 6 hours. Took mutton out and set it aside to rest loosely covered with foil, thickened the sauce with maizena, placed back in the oven under moderate grill for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.

Potato wedges in air fryer

Cut potatoes in thick slices. Covered in water for 30 minutes to extract starch, threw away water then dried wedges. Sprinkled oil and mixed with wedges to completely cover them, then added spices to taste (we like BBQ, cayenne pepper and garlic). Fried at 160C for 16 minutes, shook, then 6 minutes at 180C, shook, and another 6 minutes at 180C. Times will vary slightly depending on amount of potatoes and thickness of cut.

Result

Meat quite tender, but somewhat grey. Could have cooked at 80C rather, then meat might have remained pink and been even more tender. Carrots still quite hard. Could have cut them smaller and/or parboiled them for 5-10 minutes. Lots of sauce that formed from the meat juice that cooked out, so could have added more veg.

Bonus

Lots of meat and sauce left over. Can probably freeze sauce and use for soups and stews and use meat for wraps and stirfry.

Satisfaction

7/10

Enjoyed it, quite tasty, but can be improved.

7FLRMPN.png

5lqAy7F.png

gy8fFNi.png

55OyIIk.png

psxfVXF.png

Now I want to learn how to make bread. I thought it might be easier to start with a flatbread, which I can then use for naan, pita or pizza. Any favourite recipes? I don't want to use self-raising flour. 

I bought a few packets of 10g instant yeast and a kilo of whole wheat bread flour. I've been looking at these two recipes:

Flatbread

http://lekkerreseptevirdiejongergeslag.blogspot.com/2015/07/flat-bread.html
360g Cake flour
1X10g Sachet of instant yeast
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1½ Cups (375ml) warm water
3 Tbsp Extra olive oil
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Make the flatbread by mixing together the flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt.
Add the water and knead for 10 minutes to form soft dough. If the dough is too dry add more water, if too wet add more flour.
Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to prove (rise) for 1 hour.

• Once proven, knock out the air and roll into a rough rectangular shape.
    Place on a floured baking tray, bake for 20 minutes, then remove and brush with olive oil.

PIZZA DEEG

http://lekkerreseptevirdiejongergeslag.blogspot.com/2013/03/pizza-idees-deeg.html
500 ml koekmeel

5 ml sout
1 x 10g kits suurdeeg
5 ml suiker
100 ml olie
240 ml lou warm water
1. Gooi alles in die voedselverwerker en knie goed.
2. Laat rys so in die bak tot dubbeld en pulse weer goed.
3. Rol baie dun uit. Sit tamatie en uiesous op en enige vulsel.
4. Bak 20 min in warm oond.

Now I want to learn how to make bread. I thought it might be easier to start with a flatbread, which I can then use for naan, pita or pizza. Any favourite recipes? I don't want to use self-raising flour. 

I bought a few packets of 10g instant yeast and a kilo of whole wheat bread flour. I've been looking at these two recipes:

Flatbread

360g Cake flour

2 Tbsp Sugar

1 tsp Salt

3 Tbsp Extra olive oil

Preheat oven to 180°C.

Add the water and knead for 10 minutes to form soft dough. If the dough is too dry add more water, if too wet add more flour.

Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to prove (rise) for 1 hour.

Place on a floured baking tray, bake for 20 minutes, then remove and brush with olive oil.

PIZZA DEEG

http://lekkerreseptevirdiejongergeslag.blogspot.com/2013/03/pizza-idees-deeg.html

500 ml koekmeel

5 ml sout

1 x 10g kits suurdeeg

5 ml suiker

100 ml olie

240 ml lou warm water

My fool proof bread recipe (I even use it as pizza dough):

4 cups cake/bread flour

2 cups tepid/warm water (adjust as needed)

4 teaspoons sugar

1 to 2 t salt

7g yeast

mix dry ingredients, add water, mix/knead, place in lightly oiled mixing bowl, cover and let rise.

after dough doubled in size, knock down, form to desired shape/rolls and let rise again.

Bake in hot oven (200C - 220C), time dependant on bread thickness.

My fool proof bread recipe (I even use it as pizza dough):

4 cups cake/bread flour

2 cups tepid/warm water (adjust as needed)

4 teaspoons sugar

1 to 2 t salt

7g yeast

mix dry ingredients, add water, mix/knead, place in lightly oiled mixing bowl, cover and let rise.

after dough doubled in size, knock down, form to desired shape/rolls and let rise again.

Bake in hot oven (200C - 220C), time dependant on bread thickness.

Do you put this in a pan, or do you free form it?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I

Edited by mulmi

Do you put this in a pan, or do you free form it?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I

Both work well - I do mostly freeform bread. After knockdown (before second rising).

Seen a youtube vid where dough is formed, covered in bran. A heavy based pan is then pre-heated to as hot as possible (250C), olive added (as you would for frying an egg) and then the bran covered, risen dough into the pan and baked. Gives a very crusty bread.

Flatbread

360g Cake flour

2 Tbsp Sugar

1 tsp Salt

3 Tbsp Extra olive oil

Preheat oven to 180°C.

PIZZA DEEG

500 ml koekmeel

5 ml sout

1 x 10g kits suurdeeg

5 ml suiker

100 ml olie

240 ml lou warm water

You have got to try this

Amish white bread.. it is delicious ..

I used a butter wash as it came out the oven

http://www.scratchthiswithsandy.com/2014/01/19/amish-white-bread/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My first attempt. Came out great, I thought. This is the recipe I used.

FLAT BREAD http://lekkerreseptevirdiejongergeslag.blogspot.com/2015/07/flat-bread.html

My result:

tKBi3Pv.png

I changed the flour to about 200g cake flour and about 160g whole wheat bread flour. Also, I only used half the dough and rolled it out as thin as I could since I like thin, crispy pizza bases. Happy to say the flatbread came out exactly as I hoped, with a slightly chewy center.

That looks really good. 

Did you know that an air fryer is the same as a convection oven? So basically if your oven has a fan in it, you can use it the same way as an air fryer

That looks really good. 

Did you know that an air fryer is the same as a convection oven? So basically if your oven has a fan in it, you can use it the same way as an air fryer

Our oven is just a normal old-fashioned oven. But we use the air fryer about 4 times a week - or more!