Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you end up with drumsticks like these when your guests have polished the casserole.........what did you have?

post-17716-0-15450800-1570371747_thumb.jpg

is that true or is it just an old wives tale?

I.M.H.O. an old wives tale. 

Edit: They are likely to have parasites in their gut, as most animals will, wild or domesticated, but I have never found any and certainly not in the meat.

Edited by DJR

I.M.H.O. an old wives tale. 

Edit: They are likely to have parasites in their gut, as most animals will, wild or domesticated, but I have never found any and certainly not in the meat.

My father in law who lived on Guinea dats and trout for years in the berg told me that and its only for a certain period.He seemed to know everything so believed him

Not a recipe, but if you like sauce on your food, and if you like steaks and pork chops - Ina Paarman's Blue Cheese sauce goes very well on both.

• 6 months later...

Who has a really fool-proof bread recipe for me to try out as part of my lock-down resolutions to learn a few new skills?

I went through the pantry and I have the following":

White bread flour 1 big packet

White self raising flour 1 small packet

Olive and sunflower oil

Milk

Salt

Sugar

Dry yeast 3 packets

Beer

Eggs

Flat baking tray and muffin tray, no deep bread tray

All kinds and sizes of cast iron pots

A really good electric oven, nogal with a fan

One virgin baker

I am good with the Weber, braai and I can make a mean potjie, but keep in mind that I've never tried something like this, so, please be precise, but still keep it simple enough for a dummy!

Who has a really fool-proof bread recipe for me to try out as part of my lock-down resolutions to learn a few new skills?

Olive and sunflower oil

Milk

Salt

Sugar

Dry yeast 3 packets

Beer

Eggs

One virgin baker

I am good with the Weber, braai and I can make a mean potjie, but keep in mind that I've never tried something like this, so, please be precise, but still keep it simple enough for a dummy!

hold on you have beer? Name your price.

Olive and sunflower oil

Milk

Salt

Sugar

Dry yeast 3 packets

Beer

Eggs

One virgin baker

I used this recipe one for years before I got a bread machine. Can use the dough for anything, from bread rolls to  pizzas to tortillas you can grill on the fire. Simple and easy.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/751098/recipe/easy-white-bread-rolls

Edited by Readsalot

A good old favorite using mostly tinned goods

attachicon.gif33AF5230-3D2B-4BE7-93D0-236F68282A33.jpeg

We have that same Krups ice cream maker, it works well.

My wife makes hand made custard as a base for her ice cream, takes about 45 mins of stirring on the stove, but man its the best ice cream you will ever taste!

Quick cheat method is to use the First Choice velvet flavoured custards, you can literally just toss it in the machine from the box and come out with a pretty good ice cream.

We have that same Krups ice cream maker, it works well.

My wife makes hand made custard as a base for her ice cream, takes about 45 mins of stirring on the stove, but man its the best ice cream you will ever taste!

Quick cheat method is to use the First Choice velvet flavoured custards, you can literally just toss it in the machine from the box and come out with a pretty good ice cream.

I made an ice cream from a recipe on Masterchef Aus - the guy that finished runner-up about a or two ago. Fantastic taste as ot is also a custard base (with egg yolks).