Idiotic cyclists .

Wyatt Earp

Cyclists can be their own worst enemy.  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Can they possibly be ?

• Yes
    • No

Dear Smimby, take note, if I wanted to rant, I would have done it like this in the first place, but seeing you encouraged me to do so, I have to thank you.

Driving in the car yesterday towards the Spruit looking for a park of some sorts, I noticed three cyclists coming back from their ride.

They rode two abreast and not sitting tightly but the female was taking over the entire right hand lane (we were in the left hand lane)

The motorist behind them eventually overtook them concentrating so heavily on them that they nearly took us out, I had to swerve quite heavily to avoid collision.

Yes the motorist was aggressive, yes he was irritable and annoyed, I do believe however that the cyclists, who were on mountain bikes ,two of them in Urban Fit kit played the biggest part in what could potentially have been a bad accident.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mountainbikers on tar roads are becoming a big pain in the A...ride the sidewalk, it's a lot more fun!

I ride the sidewalk, the problem comes in when having to cross intersections from the sidewalk.....some would say "look at that f $@ en idiot"

What time was it? And where about did this happen?

Cyclists (including myself) need to be more aware that we are not the only idiots on the road!

You get idiots on motorcycles, in cars, on boats and on bicycles! Also on foot! But we have to keep trying.

22% of all those killed on the roads are pedestrians (think how many there are) and 18% cyclists, 23% motorcyclists (they (or we) will soon be extinct).

Come on this is serious. On a bicycle you can be right and still dead or crippled. So ride very defensively. Support Thinkbike.

Cycling in the Inchange area on Saturday, I noticed that a vehicle had gone over the edge of a very precarious embankment along the route - drivers can often be the own worst enemy.

Read in the news paper last week about how the scourge of drug abuse is growing - people, their won worst enemy.

Read almost daily, in the news, of spousal abuse and murder - people, their own worse enemy.

Managed to get out on my bicycle on both Saturday and Sunday and boy, what a pleasure it was to be out on the road. Felt like a dog with it's head out of the car window, but then many a non cyclist would think - 'cyclists, their own worst nightmare, choosing to be out on the road, with all the traffic on the road' - have too admit, that in the midst of inherent danger, I sure felt good.

And I admit that i'm my own worst enemy....

What time was it? And where about did this happen?

Cyclists (including myself) need to be more aware that we are not the only idiots on the road!

Hi Stiggy, it was around noon and going down the road that runs over the Highway from the old FPC when you turn left (sorry, don't know the name of the road, I know the other end is Umkomaas or something like that)

Driving out to Hout Bay yesterday the cyclists on the Hout Bay road (with literally no shoulder) were riding at least 1m from the "shoulder" holding up traffic and causing potential collisions as cars tried to pass while also avoiding oncoming traffic navigating the bends. I understand that it's really tight riding down that road with traffic but at least try to stay closer to the shoulder instead of riding closer to the middle of the lane.

Had a close call with a guy this morning on Van Riebeeck towards Modderfontein Road, about 8AM. Seems he tried to cross three lanes of traffic, I would not have seen him had the car behind me not hooted at him, as I slowed to let him pass in front of me, I moved over to my right to give him space and a motorbike came up on my right.

Was crazy - and best part, this dude (dressed in all black with a black beanie) wasn't even wearing a helmet - riding during peak traffic without a helmet is madness.

But I agree that there's idiots on the road - in all forms - but cyclists / motorcyclist / pedestrians do need to take more care as they will come off second best against a car / truck / bus.

Edited by Uni

I ride the sidewalk, the problem comes in when having to cross intersections from the sidewalk.....some would say "look at that f $@ en idiot"

I'm specifically refering to the 'new breed' of on-road mountainbikers...I too need to ride a bit of tar on the way to my favourite forest loop...

Rode from Kensington through Boksburg to Carnival city and back via Atlas road and Edenvale. Took me about 3 and a half hours. Bit windy but nice and sunny. Finished the ride around 14:00. Being Sunday the roads were fairly quiet.

No drama at all. Not one aggravating incident.

The number of complaints on this forum amazes me. The amount of unhappiness is astonishing. Have you guys not considered trying a different hobby. Something inherently annoying like politics perhaps.