Motivation

Overlord

Seems I have lost all my motivation to ride my bike. How does one go about getting motivated again?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems I have lost all my motivation to ride my bike. How does one go about getting motivated again?

Thats not the Onetime i know.... Get on your bike and ride boet!!!!!

http://bennyandboone.com/Animationgifs/Benny-Mountain-Bikes.gif

I can only guess you got tired of the type of riding you do perhaps? Mix it up or change. Swap you XC bike for an all mountainbike or your full suss for a hardtail.

Or take a brake, nothing wrong with that either......

About 2 weeks ago for about 2 weeks I thought it was me being unmotivated to ride my bike too then I gave him a wash and went for a ride and realise it was other things in my life that was making me feel like that and that riding my bike actually makes me feel better about those things too.

Just wash it and the get on and go ride it.

take the time off, go do differnt things. If you train alot, go ride without a clock or HRM, and stop often if the area you are riding in is scenic.

overhaul your bike yourself, then go ride to test it.

Get more sleep.

l am not at the level that you are but this works for me: :)

I "train" in the week and on weekends l ride with the local mtbgroup.

For me this is fun as apose to riding alone or with on or two other riders.

l identify specific races so that l have a target to work to and l also set personal goals for myself.

I never have routine in my routes. ie ride the same route everyday, but on the other hand there is people for whom that works fine.

But Capricorn might be right with taking it easy for a while. :)

Guest Heino

This always gets me going when I'm feeling demotivated. In fact, I wanna go ride right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4b4DJFStVQ

This is so inspirational!

Thanks!!

Last Sunday was the first time I got off may backside and did 80km. I had to FORCE myself to carry on and this is exactly what I went through. Our nature has been developed to protect ourselves, more sleep, more rest, common sense in that we know that it is easier NOT to train or to rest. to just survive, to be in our comfort zone and do what is comfortable. To choose the road less travelled brings you further than the easy way out. As the guy says, There is an easy way and there is the RIGHT way... Check the snow, and the ice on the one guys' bike... We have much better conditions in SA. (On the West Coast at least...)

Boy, Im going for a ride at 4AM!! Serious!

Look out for a big dude on the R 27. Direction Cape Town!

Was in the same situation a few months back, I found a new training partner. Now I am back in full swing. He was sick this weekend, I was lost. Tried to do a 85km yesterday on the mtb. Turned out to be a 40 because there was no motivation. Maybe you should try joining a group.

There was this picture doing the rounds on facebook saying something like riding your bike everyday makes you awesome. :)

Standing on a mountain, overlooking a town, still fast asleep, knowing that 99,99% will not experience what you are now........ever....,makes it Awesome. :)

Doing intervals at 100%HR, gasping for air, sweat dripping .............makes you Awesome. :)

..........And thats what l missed the last month - with my bikes stolen and the whole process of getting it back - is to be Awesome. :)

Was in the same situation a few months back, I found a new training partner. Now I am back in full swing. He was sick this weekend, I was lost. Tried to do a 85km yesterday on the mtb. Turned out to be a 40 because there was no motivation. Maybe you should try joining a group.

A new bike also works, but not for very long.

I find the best thing is to sit down, set goals and then work around a plan to get there. Keep a log of actual vs planned. And get good music! :thumbup:

Motivation does fade (especially in the winter months like now!) but what works for me is to have a plan and stick to it. if there is no fixed distance or time I should do, I tend to do very little.... So even when my motivation is on 0, I tend to still slog throught the workout, because I know the intended end...

Edited by ebenvn

i know some would advocate pushing harder, but i think of it this way: demotivation is like a racing car needing new tyres: everything's mostly okay,but you just not gettng the results you want. But you still want to get ahead. You have to pit. Put some spit and shine on the visor, and a fresh set of rubber.

Stopping and resting more is getting ahead. It's called overtaking in the pits.

but if you personally prefer the more is better approach, and no problem with that, then maybe these could help. I keep em on hand for 'rainy days', because i personally take a lot of motivation from watching others struggle toward their goals.

1:59.. that's classic NeverGivingUp..