Can you "Bunnyhop" without clipless?

braailegend

169 members have voted

1. 1. Can you bunnyhop without clipless?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know, The Shop assistant told me I need clipless to ride a bike
    • Impossibru, you cannot bunnyhop without clipless
  2. 2. How high can you go, with or without clipless?

• a Pavement
    • 30cm
    • 60cm
    • 90cm
    • 1m+
    • None

If you need cleats, you not doing a bunnyhop

Why?

What if you ONLY have cleats and clipless pedals and need to clear an obstacle with both wheels, what would you call that if not a bunny hop?

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for being able to do it without cleats and admire those that can do it with flats

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

What if you ONLY have cleats and clipless pedals and need to clear an obstacle with both wheels, what would you call that if not a bunny hop?

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for being able to do it without cleats and admire those that can do it with flats

If you need cleats to be able to lift the back wheel...

But bru... Come now... Dirt roads, lycra and 29ers. Thats the ****. That is true mtb bikeing.

It's a shame, because there are some gems out there, but even the single-track heavy rides come with auto-bottleneck problems which is also a killjoy.

Races like the TruCape 50km will see me returning, but I reckon with Enduro picking up this will be the more sensible way to go. Trail all to yourself, not overpriced because you are self-supported, always in epic locations where I would go and spend my money over a weekend in any event, more relaxed atmosphere...makes sense. To me of course. I'm not prescribing to anyone.

P.s. I'm just going to ignore the 29'er chirp :ph34r:

Why?

Its fine if you have cleats but its not neccesary...

if you clearing an obstacle by pulling the back up with your feet, you won't be able to clear bigger obstacles because your "hangtime" will be far less...think how far the back wheel has to travel in the air to clear the obstacle since both wheels will be at the same height when you do the "hop"...I don't know what the term for it is, but it isn't a bunnyhop.

You need to lift your front first and roll your weight over to the front so that back will follow. This is the proper technique and will give you much better obstacle clearing height and distance. From the side it should look like a "wave" more than upside down U.

Maybe a video will help in this explanation...see no cleats

Back in the 90's BMX days we used to regularly bunny-hop over any soul brave enough to lie down. Used to become quite a "betcha you can't jump over me lying down" "betcha I can...."

Don't laugh but the movements in essence are very similar...get the nose up and same transfer of weight.

Very similar yes, also in terms of timing..

P.s. I'm just going to ignore the 29'er chirp :ph34r:

29errrr chirps from me will always be in jest. I owned one and I really enjoyed it. SSS model. Single Speed Steel.

Very similar yes, also in terms of timing..

exactly...timing as with most things in life is crucial

Swiss asked me earlier what is the term for the jump / hop where you pull up and have both wheels at the same height....So thought about it and I am settling on "pronk" since its exactly what you doing...you are pronking like a springbok...you might think it looks like a bunny, hopping...but you are not.

Rouxtjie - it's already been termed a jerkoff.

Screw that, I say we stick to the animal kingdom....check it

A bunny hop and a springbok pronk

post-9825-0-26600900-1374738041_thumb.jpg

post-9825-0-52934100-1374738056_thumb.jpg

exactly...timing as with most things in life is crucial

Swiss asked me earlier what is the term for the jump / hop where you pull up and have both wheels at the same height....So thought about it and I am settling on "pronk" since its exactly what you doing...you are pronking like a springbok...you might think it looks like a bunny, hopping...but you are not.

LOL...I prefer the term bunny hop, no forkin way i'm going to say I pronked over that log / hole / root / whatever...

But I get the drift now we are arguing about 2 different techniques to achieve a similar goal.

I have been very frustrated since owning a MTB...in my BMX days I was able to do decent hops. We also measured it with bricks or skateboards.

Now the high seat of a cross country bike just irritates me. I can't get nearly enough whip from the bike. Maybe a dropper post will be a nice to have.

I am currently practising to hop from one side of jeep track to the other path, and going a respectable pace. Not stationary :w00t: Try it...it can be harder than it looks

LOL...I prefer the term bunny hop, no forkin way i'm going to say I pronked over that log / hole / root / whatever...

But I get the drift now we are arguing about 2 different techniques to achieve a similar goal.

Hey nothing wrong with a "pronk" every now and again....its a good skill to have in your arsenal. The thing is just a bunny hop, a proper one at least will give you better height and distance clearance, given the choice between the two, I would prefer a bunny hop

When we were kids we termed them:

Bunnyhop - both wheels of the ground at the same time

American Bunny Hop - Front wheel first

whahahah love it, its like a kiss and a french kiss