MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BB33 leads in FP1 [emoji41]

And a 10th in FP2 gives him a good chance of going straight through to Q2 for the first time in what feels like forever.

aeb4716f49cabaa8a06824d9d7294f2a.jpg

MM93 pushing hard and has been down. Seems he’s ok. Actually wondering if this will actually boost his confidence, knowing he can go over the limit and get away with it.

Not a great day for the Binder boys. Bad luck for Darryn though. I’m glad Pacco and Miller got that one although Fabio deserved it. So strange that he just dropped like that. Waiting for the explanation.

Good race.

Must be honest, would have expected more from the “alien” than what has been seen so far.

Not a great day for the Binder boys. Bad luck for Darryn though. I’m glad Pacco and Miller got that one although Fabio deserved it. So strange that he just dropped like that. Waiting for the explanation.

Arm Pump. (From the man himself)

I don't understand the point of Warmup on the morning of race day. Perhaps a last-minute adjustment but frankly if you're not ready at that stage, it's too late excpet for a lst-minute tyre change or fine tuning somewhere. And even that is a punt because track temperature and conditions are different to those at race time.

With the guys pushing it quite hard and some falling, surely the risk of injuring yourself or breaking the bike is not worth it. 

Pol, Nakagami, Lecuona and Marc Marquez all fell during Warmup. Luckily for them they all made the race but it could have been different.

Comments?

Edited by sawystertrance

I don't understand the point of Warmup on the morning of race day. Perhaps a last-minute adjustment but frankly if you're not ready at that stage, it's too late excpet for a lst-minute tyre change or fine tuning somewhere. And even that is a punt because track temperature and conditions are different to those at race time.

With the guys pushing it quite hard and some falling, surely the risk of injuring yourself or breaking the bike is not worth it. 

Pol, Nakagami, Lecuona and Marc Marquez all fell during Warmup. Luckily for them they all made the race but it could have been different.

Comments?

I'm going to jack your post, and not really answer it with something else I thought of on Sat... (Although it may play a part with the end result.)

I think there may even be too much riding. Saturday they had FP3, later FP4, straight into Q1, straight into Q2. No wonder BB sat out the first half of Q2 - the dude must have been exhausted! Yes not all of it is flat-out white-knuckling but jeepers this must take a huge toll on their bodies, and heads.

I don't want to see less, and I know they're all finely tuned athletes now, but for a while there I just felt tired for them.

I'm going to disagree with the two of you.

If the riders didn't think that they needed the time, they wouldn't have gone out in a session. Warmup is an important session because your race engineers would have had another full evening to go over FP3, FP4 and Qualifying data. Which could give you something to test and confirm the next morning. Or you know, perhaps you sent your bike into the airfence during qualifying on Saturday, and you mechanics spent the evening rebuilding your bike. I wouldn't want to be going into a race without having ridden the bike first. If you bin it in Warmup, well that's your problem for pushing too hard.

As for Binder sitting out Q2, he only had one set of soft tyres, so there was no point for him to go out until the last minute to set his time.

And as for total time on track, it's not much different than it has always been. Previously there were 3x Free Practice sessions of 45 mins each, and one qualifying session of an hour. That hour was usually 15 mins at the start to set a banker lap, 30 minutes doing race simulations, and 15 minutes of trying to get pole position. Now it's just been split up into individual sessions, and chucking out all but the 12 fastest for the actual pole position dash. I think it's a great format.

I'm going to disagree with the two of you.

If the riders didn't think that they needed the time, they wouldn't have gone out in a session. Warmup is an important session because your race engineers would have had another full evening to go over FP3, FP4 and Qualifying data. Which could give you something to test and confirm the next morning. Or you know, perhaps you sent your bike into the airfence during qualifying on Saturday, and you mechanics spent the evening rebuilding your bike. I wouldn't want to be going into a race without having ridden the bike first. If you bin it in Warmup, well that's your problem for pushing too hard.

As for Binder sitting out Q2, he only had one set of soft tyres, so there was no point for him to go out until the last minute to set his time.

And as for total time on track, it's not much different than it has always been. Previously there were 3x Free Practice sessions of 45 mins each, and one qualifying session of an hour. That hour was usually 15 mins at the start to set a banker lap, 30 minutes doing race simulations, and 15 minutes of trying to get pole position. Now it's just been split up into individual sessions, and chucking out all but the 12 fastest for the actual pole position dash. I think it's a great format.

Spot on.

Only thing I would say is, as much as I hate the format, they should consider a super pole type quali for Moto3.

They also need to bring the penalty system back, that was removed following the 2015 Sepang fracas that led to Vale's Valencia penalty. Without proper punishment they will never sort out the Moto3 issue. I mean in Acosta can win from a pitlane start then what's the point. Handing out these long laps like an Oprah Winfrey give away show, is a joke.

Absolutely. Whilst I doubt they will go for a Superpole type setup (because it's boring AF), they definitely need to sort out the penalties. But heck, cruising and looking for a tow is even happening in MotoGP now, so I'm not quite sure what the solution is to be honest. But yeah, starting from the back row or pit lane is clearly not serious enough. Championship points or missed races should come to the fore I think.

I...

Thats good to know