Oops I did it again, cracked frame. (and again)

Rouxenator

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First frame that cracked after a year was a 2012 GT Karakoram. Current frame that cracked is a 2013 Zaskar Le 9R Pro.

Actually very tempted to just buy a pick'n'pay special as backup now.

Oops, and again - 3rd frame down...

So that makes it 1x Karakoram and 2x Zaskar

I wanted to see how far my Silverback Sola 1 will go - turns out 31,000km which is more than 3 times I got out of any of my other bikes.

Will probably keep riding it till it breaks off completely then switch to my 26er.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200801_190607.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200801_182441.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200801_182502.jpg

Yeah, I must admit I also think it is a very stupid idea... so I am still contemplating if I should do it. 

Might wrap it in duct tape to soften the blow  :whistling: ?

I don't want to mess up the nice Mavic wheel that is getting fixed now. Or mess up me, as you pointed out.

That said I do recall the time when I was riding Porcupine Ridge MTB in 2016 and 5km into the race this happened : 

attachicon.gifIMG_20160130_102224254_HDR.jpg

Knowing what lied ahead, with that hellish down hill at the end, I looked at my options. I could ride back and quit - smart, or I could push on and possibly have the bike fold open emasculating me - dumb.

Ima just leave this here..... :devil:

attachicon.gifresult.gif

4king hell!

Steel bike Rouxtjie .... and a proper trail / All-mountain frame steel frame too while you are at it.

Alum has a limited lifespan, and you invest more than enough hours on the bike every year to find that lifespan of the material.

Steel bike Rouxtjie .... and a proper trail / All-mountain frame steel frame too while you are at it.

Alum has a limited lifespan, and you invest more than enough hours on the bike every year to find that lifespan of the material.

listen to hairy

I might go titanium next....

4king hell!

Oh, I left out the 2 other Giants that also went before I bought the Silverback. 

Oh, I left out the 2 other Giants that also went before I bought the Silverback. 

Just go steel ... at least you can easily find a local craftsman to fix what you are going to break!

4king hell!

This pic was taken in 2019, at the Fine Breede MTB event.  They say this is the "worst" 30km ride in the year .... only 972m elevation, some hectic climbs having most riders walking ....

The gent in this pic is Roux's dad.  He was almost 70 years old at the time !!!  Beat out a good few younger riders !!!  :eek:

No wonder the young Roux racks up the miles.  :thumbup:  

Certainly is a unique brand opportunity .... sponsoring such a hardcore father and son ....

post-110956-0-48608700-1596471946_thumb.jpg

I'd stay away from Ti if I were you, they are notorious for doing what you are becoming notorious for doing....[emoji6]

I'm with Hairy on the Steel frame suggestion. If I were you I'd definitely consider getting something custom made and reinforced in the right places for you. It's gonna cost more for the initial purchase, but I'm sure it'll save you money in the long run.

This pic was taken in 2019, at the Fine Breede MTB event.  They say this is the "worst" 30km ride in the year .... only 972m elevation, some hectic climbs having most riders walking ....

The gent in this pic is Roux's dad.  He was almost 70 years old at the time !!!  Beat out a good few younger riders !!!  :eek:

No wonder the young Roux racks up the miles.  :thumbup:  

Certainly is a unique brand opportunity .... sponsoring such a hardcore father and son ....

AND it looks like he's got Roux's old rear tyre on the front :ph34r:  :eek:

Seriously Roux, get that steel frame.

Edited by Patensie

Pricing's gone up quite a bit since I last checked though...Must be the rand...

yeah..."the rand" 

they were R4500 just the other day and i'm pretty sure that is still "old" stock since the same frames sizes are out of stock that were back then...i was looking at getting one but the blue frame as pictured above is and was sold out in 21"