Argus 2014

vaalkol

Guest Omega Man

I am very hesitant to ask because I know it "puts you out there" by asking, but here goes: what does it take to do a sub 3? How many training hours per week? Other results that can indicate the possibility of success? Starting bunch? I know weather etc. cannot be predicted.

Just lie like I'm going to. Jokes.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very hesitant to ask because I know it "puts you out there" by asking, but here goes: what does it take to do a sub 3? How many training hours per week? Other results that can indicate the possibility of success? Starting bunch? I know weather etc. cannot be predicted.

Lots and lots of hours on the bike.

Make sure you get a couple of 3-4h rides in over December.

On avg. 8h a week should have you in contention with an "easy" sub3.

Starting bunch......A, B, C, D, E, F....anything later than that is going to be very hard work I guess.

Entry done and dusted! Cant wait for the sub 3hr assault!

Try and find a morning group to join, you'll be sucking some big air for the 1st month but will get you nice and strong!

Lots and lots of hours on the bike.

Make sure you get a couple of 3-4h rides in over December.

On avg. 8h a week should have you in contention with an "easy" sub3.

Starting bunch......A, B, C, D, E, F....anything later than that is going to be very hard work I guess.

I see you are from Gauteng - 94.7 time that is needed for good seeding and reasonable time. I did most seeding races (purely incidental). If I commit I will be gunning big time so I don't want to start something that was never on.

Listen, I read Nostradamus and apparently he's predicting a fierce wind for the 2014 Argus!!

Look, I used the word wind and the correct word Argus MMWwhhaaahaha mmwwhhaaaha!!

Listen, I read Nostradamus and apparently he's predicting a fierce wind for the 2014 Argus!!

Look, I used the word wind and the correct word Argus MMWwhhaaahaha mmwwhhaaaha!!

No you didnt ....

post-23299-0-36247200-1378222703_thumb.png

Entered jay. Will be my 2nd run. last year was magic I enjoyed everything so much except riding past the guy who was receiving paramedic attention and later died of a heart attack. I urge any newbies over 30 who might be slightly overweight to see a cardiologist and have your ticker and cholesterol checked out, you have a responsibility towards your spouse and children. Suikerbossie put to rest my sub 5 ambition (5.06) so this year I am aiming for a 4.30.

Can't wait for the "Argus ready" bikes to appear in the classifieds :clap:

Hahahaha, thats is so true. I almost forgot about these Gumtree gems. :lol: Entered my 2nd one, so I can actually look forward to this one. Last year I was kakking myself for my first one, not knowing what to expect. Sub 4 this year hopefully.

Edited by schalk1982

That was us in the Vets bunch, Breezer, I reckon.

Things got a lil' tense...

I was also in the Vets bunch, the problem was that the year before they put the vets and the sub vets together. This year they split them and the group was not big and strong enough to stay away from A. Now I am probably going to be shot down for this but if they are going to split the vets and sub vets again next year they might as well leave the sub vets group out altogether or they have to make a longer time split between the groups so that A doesn't catch us before Smits.

If they do split the two groups next year without a longer time between groups then I am going down to A or B. (probably B as I don't want to be in A and be up the back side of the sub vets)

Before A caught us I was near the front of the sub vets after about 5 minutes after they caught us they pushed most of us near the back. The yo yo affect was crazy twice I came to a stop and had to unclip just after Simonstown. Having 400 cyclist (132 sub vets +270 A) going through those narrow roads was not a nice place to be.

Can't wait for the "Argus ready" bikes to appear in the classifieds :clap:

And the 'bought for the argus' the week after the race.