Argus 2014

vaalkol

I am never in Hout Bay during the day in the week. Are there actually any working going on on Chapmans? Or have they decided to leave that last few turns a single lane and start with road works after the Argus?

I have not noticed any work being done.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year i parked at the CTICC underground parking, if im not mistaken, it cost me about R30 or so max and they are open all morning i believe...

Another alternative is to park along Somerset road or in the parking lots by the sea area and take a slow cycle in through the waterfront to Town, its free to park there and it provides a nice little warm up to the start.. Or like everyone is saying, waterfront(if you willing to pay)

I have not noticed any work being done.

I agree, i do chappies every Sat and Sun morning and havent noticed any of the rubble being removed as yet, still looks exactly the same as 3 months ago... Also i dont see any of those huge rubble removal trucks parked anywhere there which they usually do when they removing rubble somewhere, So in my opinion, No work has been done there as yet!!

Also hope they are going to make a plan to sweep clean the 1st circle in Hout Bat because that sand can be dangerous if groups are going around that circle...

Edited by FootballingCyclist

I agree, i do chappies every Sat and Sun morning and havent noticed any of the rubble being removed as yet, still looks exactly the same as 3 months ago... Also i dont see any of those huge rubble removal trucks parked anywhere there which they usually do when they removing rubble somewhere, So in my opinion, No work has been done there as yet!!

Also hope they are going to make a plan to sweep clean the 1st circle in Hout Bat because that sand can be dangerous if groups are going around that circle...

Seems that gravel section in the 99er race was actually good training for the Argus!

Ya haha. But in "their" defense, it's swept away now and then, but in a couple of hours it's back to "beachy" road. City should sweep and then organizers should have a guy with a hose pipe standing there on the Sunday keeping the sand wet as not to be blown into the road.

Hey guys. First Argus and coming from Jhb, so not sure what to expect on raceday. What would you recommend for getting to the venue from Tokai for a 7am start?

Here's some quick Stats from last year, bearing in mind that the weather was quite Hot, hence the slower Wining times.

31 653 completed the Tour, with only 480 riders securing Sub 3's. And the lowest group in that 480 was "B"

Of the 480, there were ONLY 2 lucky souls from lower seeded groups that made it.

2:59 - "G"

2:59 - "L"

So if you thinking that your Seeded Group will carry you closer to that Ultimate SUB 3 barrier, then have a look at this!!

Group wining times from last year.

3:01 - C

3:00 - D

3:01 - E

3:02 - F

2:59 - G

3:04 - H

3:05 - J

3:05 - K

2:59 - L

3:07 - M

3:12 - Q

The lowest group to have made it (more than one at least) might have been B, but up to G they came pretty darn close. With slightly better conditions or pacing a whole lot more might have made it? I would say its something to go for even if you aren't in A or B.

my understanding is that most of the parkades only open at 6am - i have a 6.38 start - any idea where to park from just after 5am?

We were there at 05:00 - lots of parking. Will do that again this year.????

We were there at 05:00 - lots of parking. Will do that again this year.

Same here, I stop opposite the Aquarium - in that parkade. Always been open early. Close to finish. I've never been the only one there - always plenty others already parking and packing out and catching gees long before the start!

Same here, I stop opposite the Aquarium - in that parkade. Always been open early. Close to finish. I've never been the only one there - always plenty others already parking and packing out and catching gees long before the start!

Perfect thanks!!

Hey guys. First Argus and coming from Jhb, so not sure what to expect on raceday. What would you recommend for getting to the venue from Tokai for a 7am start?

Hey bud.

You could take the M3 then high level road and into Town or you could take main road through to Town... alternatively, M5 then N2 but you will htne have to go on High Level road anyway, or M5 onto N1 and into Town...

Good Luck in your 1st Argus

Hey bud.

You could take the M3 then high level road and into Town or you could take main road through to Town... alternatively, M5 then N2 but you will htne have to go on High Level road anyway, or M5 onto N1 and into Town...

Good Luck in your 1st Argus

Yip M3 will be your best bet, you need to aim to be there at 6, just drive straight along into town, dont go near High Level Road, that takes you to the Atlantic Seaboard, perhaps footballer meant De Waal Drive? either way, you can go up De Waal and come out on the upper side of town and park anywhere realy or go along Nelson Mandella boulevard (N2) keep right and come out near the start, again lots of parking to be found on the street. You have an early enough start not to stress about traffic and parking

I normally park at the VNA open parking area on the far left towards Sea Point diagonally opposite hospital. You pay a flat rate I think and then cycle through to start as a warm up. Its a short walk past stadium after finish.

They clean and sweep the entire route the night before the Argus. Cape Town Municipality have their sweeper trucks going out regularly at night/very early morning.