Argus 2014

vaalkol

We parked our car in the car park of the Volvo / Jaguar dealership on the rhs just past the start line - so after the race (which we enjoyed immensely) we had to cross the start line to get back there. We went through the tunnel at the civic center. Was about 2pm I guess. My partner was literally blown off her bike. I ended up hiding her and the bikes in the lee of the building and walking/ crawling through the wind tunnel to go fetch the car. Was great fun but glad the wind wasn't like that at the start!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First-timer from Norway (and got some advice on these forums a couple of weeks back) and had a great experience! What an amazing event! :-)

Rode in A group and placed 2nd in it with 2:50. Woman winner Cherise Stander on my wheel as we crossed the finish-line narrowly avoiding the two guys next to me who went down just before the line. Unfortunately i was bunched in by the fence in the sprint.

I filmed the last hour, including Chapman's, Suikerboisse and the final sprint, which I'll get up on my blog martinhoff.com when I get back to Norway. Got a few pictures out last night - including my selfie with Stephen Roche after the race!

Question: The guys on motorbicycles filming - where can some of the footage be seen? Is it on the internet somewhere, or is it a local tv-channel?

Are you gonna take your concerns up with them?

That'll be far more important than ranting here, I reckon.

I tried, and had quite a discussion, face to face with SS himself at the Argus expo, and I did tell him what I thought, but he has put himself in charge and nothing is going to change.

I also run, and I guess I just cannot help comparing cycling to running, after running 10 Two Oceans, you become part of the Blue Number Club. When you finish your 10th, there and then you are awarded your permanent no, and a badge and have your hand shaken by a running celebrity and a pic. From there on you register in a special Blue Number area where there are refreshments. Even if you are not running you can pop in at the expo, with your spouse, and sit around and chat to other runners.

Your race number also has your name and also the number of Ultras that you have run!

It would nice if maybe just a little of that could be done for the Argus, but like I say I give up!

On a happier note, I had an awesome Argus, managed to stay out of trouble (except for the poor chap that fell on top of me and knocked me off my bike AFTER the finish banner, he cramped!) aaaaand I had the wind at my back at least some of the time.... wasn't it great blowing up Suikerbossie and Chappies! Oh well 22nd Argus done safely, now I can hang up my bike for a bit and concentrate on running, bring on Two Oceans and Comrades! :-)

Ek en my vrou was in die ongeluk op die M3. Haar sleutelbeen is af en sy het harsingskudding. Sy was vir ongeveer 3 minute bewusteloos en in daardie tyd het daar bloed by haar mond uitgekom. 'n Ander vrou langs haar in die hospitaal se oog is amper weg in dieselfde ongeluk. Dit sou my 11 de een wees en ek het al 'n 2:58 gery so ek kan bietjie fietsry. Ek is egter klaar met die Argus.

Ai.. good luck to her with the recovery.

Too many riders.. just too many.

Nice one, jbeckett!

Ride your bike and enjoy the freedom

Seems, like all clubs, the 21 Club has improvements to make.

From the Racetec site.... :whistling:

Also attached the 2013 stats...although done a long time ago

E&OE

post-17974-0-94724100-1394430343_thumb.jpg

post-17974-0-76657900-1394430472_thumb.jpg

Edited by Btus

Lost a pair of white oakley jawbones with fire orange polarized lenses if anyone found them please let me know.

Much appreciated

We parked our car in the car park of the Volvo / Jaguar dealership on the rhs just past the start line - so after the race (which we enjoyed immensely) we had to cross the start line to get back there. We went through the tunnel at the civic center. Was about 2pm I guess. My partner was literally blown off her bike. I ended up hiding her and the bikes in the lee of the building and walking/ crawling through the wind tunnel to go fetch the car. Was great fun but glad the wind wasn't like that at the start!

It was for some of us at the back end of the race.

Racetec site keeps on crashing now. Everybody probably got to their offices and want to chck out their results.

Only 472 finishers in our group. And top male rider in our age 45-49 only managed 4.32. PC group.

I rode back to Pinelands about that time. Was HECTIC. I took my buff off at the finish so my helmet (which has excellent ventilation) was a little loose. Riding down past the castle the wind lifted it off my head, dragging it up and backwards. Thought I might fly off like Mary Poppins. Most scary piece of riding!!!

Did it with my wife - her third and my 14th. She hadnt ridden for 10 years so we started at 9h22 in the wind, which was miserabe. Did a 5h46.

However the major observation was how chilled it is back there compared to the racing groups. Everyone walks up behind the rope on the line and it is a gentle pedal off the line. No bunches for sure so it was a bit of a time trial and i had to slow down for her a number of times.

Sorry to hear about the accidents, but it is a bit of a zoo in the top groups. The Argus is the gold standard of races in amateur cycling so everyone trains and does their best. the fast groups are mental, but its the same in any big races.

Done and dusted, just glad I made it through safely, though had some close shaves in the front bunch of L as well. Was not aware of the big crash in the bunch till reading about it hear. Sure was a lot of accidents yesterday, a lot of it caused by riders who underestimated the strength of the wind and the power of slipstreaming. As soon as they left the gulley and faced the wind to overtake, they turned in way to quickly to get protection from wind and cut the rider they passing off, which to avoid contact had to brake causing concertina effect, and those not paying attention was caught out. Brother-in-law broke his collar bone in a crash up front in vets as well. Hope all will heal soon and will be back on their bicycles in the near future.

As for my race, manged to do a 3.26 from L, was hoping for sub 3.15, but had no legs for the second half of chappies and suikerbossie. Also found that there was only a had full of us that was working up front which slowed the pace a bit. Happy though with end result considering the wind, now to work on the sub 3 for next year and my first half marathon next month.

I enjoyed my 5th Argus immensely...decided to enjoy the vibe and not race it this year...stopped at just about all the coke stands...and had 2 technical stops for a freewheelhub bearing that wanted to seize...and finished on 4hours still :thumbup:

Did my first Argus on my mountainbike and did a 5:00:37.Very happy with that out of SS.I saw a lady on the ground just past Soetwater I think on the downhill that had a m0er of a fall. Hope shes allright as we all came flying downhill with screamimg brakes as we got waved down.