Argus 2014

vaalkol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That insane wind aside, the race was going perfectly to plan as I was with the lead group until I crashed at speed on the Champmans Peak decent, hit the pavement, the wall then went over the edge through what felt like 20 bushes (although it was probably only 2 or 3). I ended up up 10 meters down the 'cliff' and after paramedics and spectators very kindly pulled me up (by my feet initially). Thanks to all of them and the very sweet middle aged lady who very concerned.

Thereafter I managed to fix the resultant puncture and limp to the finish line with only a handful of working gears, a vibrating buckled wheel and blood and Chapmans Peak greenery decorating my kit and legs. Otherwise all good ;)

That insane wind aside, the race was going perfectly to plan as I was with the lead group until I crashed at speed on the Champmans Peak decent, hit the pavement, the wall then went over the edge through what felt like 20 bushes (although it was probably only 2 or 3). I ended up up 10 meters down the 'cliff' and after paramedics and spectators very kindly pulled me up (by my feet initially). Thanks to all of them and the very sweet middle aged lady who very concerned.

Thereafter I managed to fix the resultant puncture and limp to the finish line with only a handful of working gears, a vibrating buckled wheel and blood and Chapmans Peak greenery decorating my kit and legs. Otherwise all good ;)

a sheese Wez, when did this happen? The one I saw was at about 1.30 pm as I was heading down little chappies hill. I saw a bunch of bikes touch and a guy go over the wall, if that was you it looked terribly painfull. I just hit the gas and went to find a marshal.

a sheese Wez, when did this happen? The one I saw was at about 1.30 pm as I was heading down little chappies hill. I saw a bunch of bikes touch and a guy go over the wall, if that was you it looked terribly painfull. I just hit the gas and went to find a marshal.

Hectic, no that one wasn't me. My crash was at around 9:00ish. I was hanging onto the lead B group and came around the outside of a rider only to find it was that sharp right hand turn (and very kindly there was no warning signs at that time of the morning for us non locals), the rest is history... I just checked on my Garmin, I hit the wall at 50km/h and believe me, I'm feeling it in every joint today.

Hectic, no that one wasn't me. My crash was at around 9:00ish. I was hanging onto the lead B group and came around the outside of a rider only to find it was that sharp right hand turn (and very kindly there was no warning signs at that time of the morning for us non locals), the rest is history... I just checked on my Garmin, I hit the wall at 50km/h and believe me, I'm feeling it in every joint today.

I also saw an old guy (around 55 - 65) that had a crash there moments before I came around there. His bike was all stuffed up and he was full of scratches. Nasty corner that. This was around 14h15.

Hectic stuff.

Wez-O the turn you went down is a lot sharper than all the others at CP.

I were about 10 riders behind you. Luckily the guy in front of me said we should slow down, otherwise i might have been next to you at the bottom of CP.

Glad you are all right

Edited by Pooyan

That insane wind aside, the race was going perfectly to plan as I was with the lead group until I crashed at speed on the Champmans Peak decent, hit the pavement, the wall then went over the edge through what felt like 20 bushes (although it was probably only 2 or 3). I ended up up 10 meters down the 'cliff' and after paramedics and spectators very kindly pulled me up (by my feet initially).

This move also known as a 'Johnny Lee Augustyn'. Takes exceptional skill and courage.

More seriously, glad you're safe!

Hi We zo

Glad to hear that you are okay. You went over the wall a few metres ahead of me and watching the Chappies fynbos swallow you and your bike was as unbelievably surreal as it was almost comical.

I was so visually fixated on the sight of you vanishing before my eyes that I nearly followed you over the wall.

Safe travels back. I think the most dangerous part of your journey is over ;-)

Hectic stuff.

Wez-O the turn you went down is a lot sharper than all the others at CP.

I were about 10 riders behind you. Luckily the guy in front of me said we should slow down, otherwise i might have been next to you at the bottom of CP.

Glad you are all right

That was me ;-) Wez-O your crash looked like a movie stunt. Quite spectacular! It was difficult to process what i had just seen. Glad you are OK.

Wez-O I did some casual riding there last year Easter. When there is no lane closures you have very little space to move in. I eventually got so nervous that I thought I will never do the Argus. Coming down Chappies was the hardest part of the race for me - just could not let go mentally. You lived my fear! Good luck and hope you know it is (and has been pissing in P-town). IDT stuff.

I had a nice first Argus, could've been better I think, but my fault, not the Argus's. Did a time of 4:37. Had a puncture (safety pin) after Chappies and couldn't find my bomb connector thingy, so had to ride a couple km's with a flat until I found a guy on the side of the road with a pump.

Legs were complaining from the beginning. my fault also as I hardly drank any water in preparation for the race, luckily I had enough water on the ride to keep going without having to stop at any of the the water points.

Other than that, had a great race, spoke to lots of people during the ride. Narrowly missed a bad accident as some guy lost it right in front of me, just managed to avoid him without taking anybody else out around me.

Would love to do it again, flipping expensive trip coming from JHB though.