Argus 2014

vaalkol

It is a long drive. We did CPT to JNB via KIM and we were on the road for 16hrs with breaks and roadworks.

It's not that it's a hard drive - good roads and light traffic, it's just such a long way.

We had sunshine for the first 1200km - then it got ugly ;-)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a long drive. We did CPT to JNB via KIM and we were on the road for 16hrs with breaks and roadworks.

It's not that it's a hard drive - good roads and light traffic, it's just such a long way.

We had sunshine for the first 1200km - then it got ugly ;-)

Agreed we left a bit late

It was ok til we reached bloem at 20:00, had to fill up, it was freezing and then the last 3 & a half hours we drove in the dark and in the rain, no fun.

Gonna def do it again next year but I either have to stay longer or take a flight to make it more worth my while

Agreed we left a bit late

It was ok til we reached bloem at 20:00, had to fill up, it was freezing and then the last 3 & a half hours we drove in the dark and in the rain, no fun.

Gonna def do it again next year but I either have to stay longer or take a flight to make it more worth my while

Dude. Try driving through to Durbs overnight. NEVER. AGAIN. Sheesh. Thought it'd be okay. But the depth perception is thrown for a major whack as soona s you see lights coming towards you. They could be 2lm, or 200m away..

What an amazing race. I have done it every year since 2012 and have enjoyed every one! I managed a PB of 2:58 and a bit and was really happy to have finally cracked the elusive sub3!! There will always be the challenges associated with big races with big start groups. There were a few unfortunate crashes and many near misses but overall a great weekend from a non-Capetonian's perspective. Would be nice to get a local perspective on the event.

Edited by BDF

I found everyone on both laps very chilled this year compared to the last 7 or so. Except in A group going up that ocean view climb, some guy shoulder barged a tandem, think he knocked the Mrs on the back of bike. Not sure the cause but was off the racing line. He got plenty of abuse thrown at him.

They guys(and girls) riding in the VA, VB, VC, VM, A & % bunch have a LOT of guts, I've done it in the past and its really impressive and I respect it tremendously!

I've done more Arguses than I can count on 2 hands and I need to claim that we were riding the above mentioned tandem. Knowing how racing goes in the Argus, everyone in those groups aiming for a sub 3 etc and how hectic the racing bunches ride I specifically moved over to the non-racing line(like skistar15 mentioned) with another tandem or 2 behind us. And after a few minutes this guy(VA630) just rode into the back of the tandem quite fast and hit my stoker so hard that her handlebars turned 45 degrees and she hurt her neck in the process. What the guy was actually thinking I really don't know as we were clearly out of the way, probably he lost his concentration or something which I can also understand in bunches like that. Obviously I wasn't planning to thank or kiss him and I got a fright so I lost it a bit and shouted at him. It's something to fall on a single bike but to fall on a tandem the stoker normally gets hurt much worse and the stoker being me GF it is quite a responsibility to ride responsible on a tandem. My apologies for VA630.

On the other hand, the crash at the end with that mens tandem pushing the guy out of the way is also unacceptable! The tandem came from way behind the bunch, squeezing in between the single riders and sprinting for 2nd place with the other tandem to the left. The funny thing is there is no second tandem places in the Argus(Only 1st Mixed, 1st Mens and 1st Women's categories). That tandem should be banned from the Argus, it's totally on their heads causing that accident!

I also experienced that the back markers were much more chilled this year, maybe because most of them thought that they will not be able to do a PB with the wind. Personally I believe with the wind you can do a very good time if you up the pace from Smits.

There was just one bloke who was swaying all over the road in Noordhoek. Lucky I saw this bloke was not lekker and passed him quick, only to hear lots of cursing about 30 secs later as he ended up right in front of someone else causing a small crash. He was either very dehydrated or drunk.

BTW, who were those fast blokes coming through shouting "Cut off at Suikerbossie in 20!"? It was not even close to cut-off time BTW.

Edited by Moridin

They guys(and girls) riding in the VA, VB, VC, VM, A & % bunch have a LOT of guts, I've done it in the past and its really impressive and I respect it tremendously!

I've done more Arguses than I can count on 2 hands and I need to claim that we were riding the above mentioned tandem. Knowing how racing goes in the Argus, everyone in those groups aiming for a sub 3 etc and how hectic the racing bunches ride I specifically moved over to the non-racing line(like skistar15 mentioned) with another tandem or 2 behind us. And after a few minutes this guy(VA630) just rode into the back of the tandem quite fast and hit my stoker so hard that her handlebars turned 45 degrees and she hurt her neck in the process. What the guy was actually thinking I really don't know as we were clearly out of the way, probably he lost his concentration or something which I can also understand in bunches like that. Obviously I wasn't planning to thank or kiss him and I got a fright so I lost it a bit and shouted at him. It's something to fall on a single bike but to fall on a tandem the stoker normally gets hurt much worse and the stoker being me GF it is quite a responsibility to ride responsible on a tandem. My apologies for VA630.

On the other hand, the crash at the end with that mens tandem pushing the guy out of the way is also unacceptable! The tandem came from way behind the bunch, squeezing in between the single riders and sprinting for 2nd place with the other tandem to the left. The funny thing is there is no second tandem places in the Argus(Only 1st Mixed, 1st Mens and 1st Women's categories). That tandem should be banned from the Argus, it's totally on their heads causing that accident!

I just looked up and saw the collision between you two, I could not understand why he was so far from the pace line like of the rest of us. As I said the force between you was rather hectic!

I hope your GF, heals up well and is not put off too much by the incident!

I started in U and found that choice of words there: "passing right" works much better than "keep left"

I also started in U, how was that section between muizenberg & Fish Hoek? with the continual braking and the bunch riding on the right, I got tired of "excuse me, passing right" and then trying to pass people i just cycled in the (open) left hand lane and easily passed the slower bunches.

Found the same, Andre... different group, but same mentality. Everybody hogging the right on the climbs. Having been braking (yes, on climbs), spent time evading, bumped onto gravel and what not all on the right... I simply went left and found and entire open lane up most of the climbs.

Maybe we should start telling everybody that's where the space is, then we can have the right-hand side of the road open next year! :whistling:

Or :

There are a number of very nice littel guesthouses on the way and nowadays, if I have to drive to cape town, I stay over. Have a beer, dinner, nice farm breakfast and hit the road again in the morning.

It turns a chore into part of the holiday.

whats wrong with the train ?

Everything.

Heard it's gone to the dogs. Noisy, smelly / filthy, no water in toilets / showers, constantly late.

Not worth it anymore.

Everything.

Heard it's gone to the dogs. Noisy, smelly / filthy, no water in toilets / showers, constantly late.

Not worth it anymore.

Sorry to go off-topic here but how was your Argus?

Sorry to go off-topic here but how was your Argus?

Haha, no, going back to the topic. :whistling:

Can't complain really. Wind put an end to my plans for a PB (and the fairly dangerous riding of the okes in the bunches)

Took care to stay out of trouble till over Smits, then just hopped from one bunch to the next.

Finished nice and strong, and only a few minutes of last year's time. Happy with that.

And you?

Haha, no, going back to the topic. :whistling:

Can't complain really. Wind put an end to my plans for a PB (and the fairly dangerous riding of the okes in the bunches)

Took care to stay out of trouble till over Smits, then just hopped from one bunch to the next.

Finished nice and strong, and only a few minutes of last year's time. Happy with that.

And you?

Agree on the dangerous riding in bunches.

Also managed to stay out of trouble but probably more due to luck than design, and had a good ride despite the wind.

Did a second lap, a lot of atrocious handling skills around but felt a lot safer, at least most of the crashes happen in slow motion at the back of the field!