Argus 2014

vaalkol

Hi guys. Enjoyed the race a lot this year on my mtb, especially all the funny comments I received along the route. I tried to keep up but at the 52 km mark I was just spinning out and got to tired to keep up with the road bikes. Maybe next year I will try a bigger blade up front. @ sluiper You first have to catch me to hurt me haha :clap:

I spoke to you briefly at the registration. Well done. What bike?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will vote for the ANC if they promise no wind for the next Argus, :ph34r:

I had the misfortune of having two punctures, clipped a couple of things riding behind the mtbers in the group, Stopped on that stretch before you get to Chappies(not sure what the area is called), got surrounded by some of the local children and one nicked my tube, I had to walk to the water point and luckily there was a repair shop, and then on Chapmans peak coming down, I phoned the wife and dropped my iPhone 4S at 60km/h, best phone in the wolrd. I saw how it was tumbling on the tar into the bushes, I stopped walked back thinking it would be in pieces, but when I found my phone, part from a couple of scratches on the corners the phone is 100%, did a 4h30

Edited by Mr.E

Were you B1280 on the Santa Cruz? Well done if that was you!!

On the topic of guys on MTBs, did anyone see the guy from D on the MTB with rigid fork, I started in C and finished in 3:01 and he passed me with about 20kms to go so he must be one of the guys from D who got a sub3... on a MTB :eek: . Well done to him too!!

Yes that's me. And well done to that rider. To do Sub 3 on mtb with knoblies you must be super strong.

I will vote for the ANC if they promise no wind for the next Argus, :ph34r:

I had the misfortune of having two punctures, clipped a couple of things riding behind the mtbers in the group, Stopped on that stretch before you get to Chappies(not sure what the area is called), got surrounded by some of the local children and one nicked my tube, I had to walk to the water point and luckily there was a repair shop, and then on Chapmans peak coming down, I phoned the wife and dropped my iPhone 4S at 60km/h, best phone in the wolrd. I saw how it was tumbling on the tar into the bushes, I stopped walked back thinking it would be in pieces, but when I found my phone, part from a couple of scratches on the corners the phone is 100%, did a 4h30

Phoned your wife at 60 km/h?? Not cool mate. We have responsibility to those around us to ride predictably. Stop, phone, ride - like in a car! One brake, one hand the bar on a descent - not cool!

Phoned your wife at 60 km/h?? Not cool mate. We have responsibility to those around us to ride predictably. Stop, phone, ride - like in a car! One brake, one hand the bar on a descent - not cool!

I saw a couple of guys sit up to stretch their backs and necks, hands off the bars, at 50 km/h past bumpy Misty Cliffs and in a loose group! Needless to say, I led team DJR very wide around them. I did not admire their skill, I was awed by their stupidity.

Had a lovely outing in Z. Finished around 4:20.

That guy on his MTB towing "Anita" brought tears to my eyes. Very special.

And then to the guys on their unicycles - HUGE respect!!

And to the guys with SS - lots of respect.

But then a gripe - the loading procedure was a shocker. Last year was bad, but today was really below par.

I also started in Z group. Got caught up in slow traffic approaching Smitties but other than that had a good race. Managed a sub 4 - just!!!

Once we crested Smitties and got moving some poor guy pulled over the left to eat a banana and as he pulled it out his pocket his car keys went flying across the road onto the dirt on the right hand side!!! I did alert him to what had happened, I just hope he found them!

My chain came off up chappies while I was passing people on the right hand side and some clever dick screams at me to not stop there - where the hell was I supposed to stop!!!

I agree with you on the loading procedure. It was a mess with guys pushing their way through before they even loaded the pen. I started at the back of Z group and still managed a good time.

Other than the minor problem at the start, I thought it was a very well managed race and maybe it was just me but there seemed to be more water points and more marshals than before. The wind added a nice challenge but it was a welcome tailwind on all the major climbs!

Well done Cycle Tour organisers.

not to worry bud, I phoned on the summit, the phone dropped at 60, dont know if I put it between the number and shirt or if it was just inserted halfway Edited by Mr.E

As i was coming past millers point i had to swerve as i saw an object in the road... Thinking to myself "that looks very much like my S4 battery... Then as i looked down again, i managed to just miss a S4 laying face up in the middle of the road!! If i wasnt pulling abunch of about 100 wheelsuckers, i would have picked it up and posted it on here.. Anyway, i hope someone did the ryt thing and picked it up and the owner manages to get their fone back!! If its yours, my apologies for not stopping, but i wud have been like a cow running into the middle of 100 stampeding rhinos..

We saw a timing chip, a bike tool bag and a R20 note in the road! Not all at the same time, obviously!

I started in DD group and as I was reaching top of Smitties I was blocked by a slower guy (from I think Z group which started ahead of me) chatting to his mate on his left (ignoring the "keep left, pass right" rule, which is maybe unwritten but should be commion sense???).

I was trying to pass him on his right AND coming under pressure from guys trying to pass me, so I politely (in years gone bye I have yelled!) said "Please keep left".he ignored me so I said it louder, and when he moved I politely said "Thank you"......he seemed to not like this and sped up to chirp me that at our level time doesn't matter etc........

What do you giuys think? I think I was in the right as no matter what my start, I am chasing my own time, not to mention the safety aspect as there were plenty guys coming through due to them being faster than their start times..........

I was trying to pass him on his right AND coming under pressure from guys trying to pass me, so I politely (in years gone bye I have yelled!) said "Please keep left".he ignored me so I said it louder, and when he moved I politely said "Thank you"......he seemed to not like this and sped up to chirp me that at our level time doesn't matter etc........

What do youguys think

I rode from GA with my brother and little nephew who set the pace. We stopped often and rode conservatively. For him a finish was more important than any time..

By the time we got to Chappies somewhere between 4:30 and 5 hours, I needed the bathroom and decided to go up and over and meet them at the Houtbay Hotel.

I went up Chapman's on the right hand side and with the exception of someone doing their second lap, was not passed by anyone. However, i was glued to the righthand side of the road, politely announcing my progress with a " passing right" followed by a "thank you" as with one exception when he guy could not move accross, everybody gave me a clear run. i really appreciated it.

On the way down, I helped a guy without levers get his tube changed, had a duck behind the bushes to drain the radiator, ordered and had a beer at the Hotel, and joined up with my boet and nephew as they came past.

...a beer - ai Eddy - carry more money next time!

All I had time for, next time I won't stop to help a guy with a puncture and will have time for a couple of Tequila chasers ?

Did your flu slow you down much ?

Did you guys and gals also find that there are still a lot of mullets shouting for someone to hold their line in the bunches. What the hell are they expecting to happen anyway, in a bunch of 50 to 100 no one knows who is being asked to hold their line anyway.

If you are behind someone you should be aware of what he is doing and adapt, sometimes a gentle hand on his/her but or shoulder nudging him back is all that is needed to restore calm.

and don't get me started on the bottle "showers"

I saw a couple of guys sit up to stretch their backs and necks, hands off the bars, at 50 km/h past bumpy Misty Cliffs and in a loose group! Needless to say, I led team DJR very wide around them. I did not admire their skill, I was awed by their stupidity.

DJR. There was one huge mtb guy in a beige/mustard colour t-shirt along that stretch, arms by his side, way over on the right - I called out " Are you nuts ? You're an accident just waiting to happen mate" as I gave him a very wide berth - did you see this idiot ?