Argus 2014

vaalkol

Started cycling December 2012 when I bought my first MTB (Ghost 26" full suspension) and did my first race Argus 2013 3 months later in 5h12m, sold the bike this December and bought a Specialized Epic Carbon (29" full suspension) and did the 2014 Argus in 4h10m (was aiming for under 4h30m) next year it will be a sub 4 :)

Managed to easily do Chapmans and Suikerbossie and from the top of Suikerbossie I had loads of fuel left in the wheels and passed hundreds of PEOPLE (sure is nice passing all the boys on their Dogma's ect.)

I love the Argus, except for the wind this year but still enjoyed it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

........................... Had a puncture (safety pin) ....................

I hate flapping numbers, so I make sure mine is pinned on properly, but at the finish discovered one safety pin missing. Hope it wasn't mine! :blush:

This move also known as a 'Johnny Lee Augustyn'. Takes exceptional skill and courage.

More seriously, glad you're safe!

Johnny Lee would have been so proud of me! :)

Edited by Wez-O

Hectic stuff.

Wez-O the turn you went down is a lot sharper than all the others at CP.

I were about 10 riders behind you. Luckily the guy in front of me said we should slow down, otherwise i might have been next to you at the bottom of CP.

Glad you are all right

Hi We zo

Glad to hear that you are okay. You went over the wall a few metres ahead of me and watching the Chappies fynbos swallow you and your bike was as unbelievably surreal as it was almost comical.

I was so visually fixated on the sight of you vanishing before my eyes that I nearly followed you over the wall.

Safe travels back. I think the most dangerous part of your journey is over ;-)

That was me ;-) Wez-O your crash looked like a movie stunt. Quite spectacular! It was difficult to process what i had just seen. Glad you are OK.

Thanks guys, it was a crazy experience but glad to have some witnesses as I'm pretty sure my friends & work colleagues thought I was exaggerating. Surely one of you had a Go-Pro? :)

Seriously though, although I'm bruised & grazed everywhere and have some serious whiplash, I think I got off lightly as it could have been a whole lot worse.

Keep the speed limit between Colesburg and Beaufort, 4 speed traps and there is also 2 routine check points on your way back...safe driving.

Anybody know why the start was delayed? My group (DD) started about 4 minutes late.

The start got mixed up at L/M group - some guys went early off front of L (my group) and the announcers then forgot about the rest of the group and moved onto M... we got his attention, but then we had to wait for M's start time, so every group was then delayed by 4mins

My First Argus. Started in L. Was chilly and windy at the start. The first 10kms were rough. Was considering pulling out and going back to the hotel, but decided was good training for potential PE wind for Ironman. Had to stop to raise my seat post as it slipped down 2cm from the start. Felt like a rodeo clown riding a vmx :P

From there, Glen Cairn, I loved the race! Ok, maybe not so much the section after Simons town to Smitswinkle. Hundreds of riders full width of the road. People chaining lines left right and centre (pun intended). Some of the development riders need to be taught how to race and ride in bunches. Some seriously uncool manoeuvring...

Met up with a mate just before Smitswinkle and we decided to drop the hammer over the top. That section was fast! We were cruising along at around 56kph on those flats. Some interesting little "bumps" in the road there...

We didn't kill the ride, but managed to come in around 3:27. Very happy with that and loved the ride. 94.7 is going to be flipping mundane from now on :eek: Argus is a definite yearly fixture now on. Big rave for Focus On The Finish Line for the epic service in getting our bikes down and what not. Drop off was 300m from the finish. Will definitely use them again!

The 17km run after hurt though. This Ironman stuff is a little crazy! Still managed 4:50 per k. So chuffed with that (Tell that to my legs though :P)

Well done all and hope all that crashed a speedy return to the fiets!

Scrumpy

Don't know, but I warned him that if he mentions he did a 3:10 on a 29er with knobblies I'd come and find him and hurt him.

Hi guys. Enjoyed the race a lot this year on my mtb, especially all the funny comments I received along the route. I tried to keep up but at the 52 km mark I was just spinning out and got to tired to keep up with the road bikes. Maybe next year I will try a bigger blade up front. @ sluiper You first have to catch me to hurt me haha :clap:

Hi guys. Enjoyed the race a lot this year on my mtb, especially all the funny comments I received along the route. I tried to keep up but at the 52 km mark I was just spinning out and got to tired to keep up with the road bikes. Maybe next year I will try a bigger blade up front. @ sluiper You first have to catch me to hurt me haha :clap:

Were you able to keep up with the B bunch until top of Smitswinkel?

Sub 3:10???

Who was the beast of a hubber in B in hubkit on a mtb?

Hi

Thanks for asking, but I really had to dig deep to keep up with you guys, but it was great fun and thanks to everyone who made a positive comment.

Were you able to keep up with the B bunch until top of Smitswinkel?

Sub 3:10???

No the bunch split at the bottom and I went over with the other that got dropped. Managed to keep up until the 52km mark and got dropped. did 3:10

Hi

Thanks for asking, but I really had to dig deep to keep up with you guys, but it was great fun and thanks to everyone who made a positive comment.

Were you B1280 on the Santa Cruz? Well done if that was you!!

On the topic of guys on MTBs, did anyone see the guy from D on the MTB with rigid fork, I started in C and finished in 3:01 and he passed me with about 20kms to go so he must be one of the guys from D who got a sub3... on a MTB :eek: . Well done to him too!!