94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed 4:04 on my Trance with Crossmarks! Next time I will ride something else, that wasnt such a good idea for me!

The parking situation was a bit rough, I left Magalies at 5am, parked the car on the polo field at 7am. That bit off the highway was quite tedious.

The amount of litter from the bar one wrappers, GI32 and water plastic sachets was pretty bad in my opinion, those things must have blown everywhere in todays wind! And what is with people just suddenly 'reversing' their bicycles into the traffic at the water points (hit someones wheel as they backed their bike into the road/traffic without even looking!)

But otherwise it was fun for my first 94.7! Lots to see (and how downtown JHB has changed since I was last there many, many moons ago) and it was great was to actually have enough room to overtake people (unlike the MTB races! Hardly ever heard 'keep left' or anything like that!) The amount of support was pretty awesome as was the amount of riders doing their bit for various charities and organisations.

What a great day.

My first big race, and the music & cheering & support was great. Thanks to Joburg for coming out to support everyone.

I came in in 2.53. Sat on my Edge 510 the whole way with a 2.59 profile, and kept checking the Virtual Racer.

I can definitely say that the virtual racer got me to the finish in under 3 hours.

Well done to organizers of the 94,7. A great race. I noted yesterday the setting up of stand barriers and sweeping of streets. What a giant ordeal. And I am happy to pay for me entry. Some times you don't pay, you get nothing. This was a brilliant race.

Only small concern. Coming into town from top of the wild down and past Ponti, the area be Ellis park is a collision waiting to happen with pedestrians chancing it a giants bikes going 65km or more.

But what a great race.

Did anyone see the bloke on the MTB with the insanely fat tires for loose sand riding? Saw him on way in and heard him getting interviewed in D or E bunch

Wonder what time he managed to pull out of that thing.

Clearly either a very brave or very stupid man

Did anyone see the bloke on the MTB with the insanely fat tires for loose sand riding? Saw him on way in and heard him getting interviewed in D or E bunch

Wonder what time he managed to pull out of that thing.

Clearly either a very brave or very stupid man

Yhea, saw him on the N14.

2:58 is all i could manage on my 14 year old Eddy Merckx. (all my training was done on the mtb though) maybe if i trained with you once or twice would do better!

What kit where you in Cav?

Rumour has it that Rouxtjie's wife put 30 minutes on him today....

Wahhahahaha no rumor, wife was a bullet out there, listened to me and didn't touch her bum once for a comfort push, her tjommie on the other hand.......oooo eh eh, had my work cut out for me, 3 punctures, snapped chain....fractured elbow at halfway, at which point I told my wife to go, I will look after her friend....shame man she cried up every hill and stopped pedaling on some, so I had an extra 60kg of deadweight on some hill....I am broken and gona slip into a coma, nag choppers

Does anyone know what the logic is for not letting females ride A & B bunches?

Personally feel that if you can do the pace you should be allowed to ride the appropriate group.

Some female riders will hook onto male groups and beat he ladies racing group time.

Yhea, saw him on the N14.

Anyone any idea what time he finished in / his name so we can look it up?

Truly epic effort

Some female riders will hook onto male groups and beat he ladies racing group time.

Do not see why that is a problem? Three fastest times for women came from D bunch today anyway. Bet you those 3 can give quite a few A bunchers a run for their money

Do not see why that is a problem? Three fastest times for women came from D bunch today anyway. Bet you those 3 can give quite a few A bunchers a run for their money

sure, some very strong aunties out there.

PS I care rocks, just thinking that is the reason

Thoroughly enjoyed the race. Was 20 min late and started with R group in stead of M which wasn't really a biggie. Had to average 30kmph on the last section after the N14 to beat my PB of 3:29:44 and somehow I pulled it off coming in 7 seconds faster. I do however feel that I should spend more time in the saddle leading up to next year's event and get a professional bike setup then I might be able to come close to three hours.

I was a bit disgusted at times with some of my fellow riders being unnecessarily rude to spectators and volunteers. There was a lady at the finish that had to walk with a plastic bag to clean up after people that just dropped their empty cans where they stood.

Other than that had a great day. Congrats to everybody that finished.

Had a good day out compared to last year.

Used my 2:59 ride time (virtual partner) that posted on this thread, but it seemed to keep losing the course, then finding it, and then saying I'm 800m behind then 600m ahead. Anyone else use my file and have any problems?