94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

Jumping to next year's race. In 11 months time there will be less room at Waterfall as houses, offices etc are completed so th estate will simply not be big enough to accommodate 30 000 cyclists. Kyalami's future is uncertain, and the event out grew the track a number of years ago (2005?). So honestly, where is there a venue anywhere near Woodmead that could host the event.

For years JHB City have been suggesting Nasrec .... will it move there, I wonder?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope someone makes a conscious decision to reverse the route.

i.e. do the boring N14 stretch first, and go into town towards the end.

More interesting, more spectators cheering towards the end where they are needed.

This is a problem the whole city faces. We need a multipurpose outdoor venue that can host the likes of a Jhb Day, Cycle Challenge and a pile of other expos and events that require the use of a big outdoor space with ample parking, centrally located (to a point), easy access and loads of infrastructure..

Nasrec seems a logical choice, but that brings with it a MOERSE route change and a whole new chapter on the logistics of the route and all the suppliers and partners. At the moment its pretty much plug and play each year.

Suggestions on a postcard please..

This is a problem the whole city faces. We need a multipurpose outdoor venue that can host the likes of a Jhb Day, Cycle Challenge and a pile of other expos and events that require the use of a big outdoor space with ample parking, centrally located (to a point), easy access and loads of infrastructure..

Nasrec seems a logical choice, but that brings with it a MOERSE route change and a whole new chapter on the logistics of the route and all the suppliers and partners. At the moment its pretty much plug and play each year.

Steyn city next year perhaps:)

I would have it at Ellis Park and surrounds

The only problem is keeping the M1 closed all day......would be worth it

Great venue.Starting and finishing in the middle of the gramadoelas is piss poor

Hmm

It was also my 1st attempt on a road bike on Sunday and i thoroughly enjoyed. So much so that i will be in the market for a road bike to use once a year for this.

Stomach bug aside, which put a abrupt end to my sub 3 ambitions, I also need to relook my race eating plan. On a MTB ride I stop for a bit and eat something real - peanut butter and honey sarmie, bilton and nuts, jungle oats energy bar etc. However when racing (MTB included) I have come to realize that I cant - my mouth is too dry and it becomes a safety hazard, so i need to look at other options. A good hearty breakfast is a good start and then I need to find a way to keep the tank topped up over the course of the next couple of hours. I have always veered away from GU and the likes, but I think its time for a rethink on this.

It always starts off with just one road race. One becomes two, and then comes the Argus and then the Amosova and before you know it you have crossed onto the wild side!

Jumping to next year's race. In 11 months time there will be less room at Waterfall as houses, offices etc are completed so th estate will simply not be big enough to accommodate 30 000 cyclists. Kyalami's future is uncertain, and the event out grew the track a number of years ago (2005?). So honestly, where is there a venue anywhere near Woodmead that could host the event.

For years JHB City have been suggesting Nasrec .... will it move there, I wonder?

Nasrec, going North onto the M1 perhaps - reversing the route....

Alternatively, what about the venue out in the Cradle where they held Jhb day?

More interesting, more spectators cheering towards the end where they are needed.

Ahh. The thought of riding down hill on the N14 and M1!

Yeah, when we went back to our cars after a few beers, one roadie checked out my tyres and said "you do know that "those" tyres are a huge disadvantage"? I replied with "oh well what was your time? He replied just did over 4hours. I replied, with "seems like your tyres are a disadvantage as well because I also did just over 4 hours'.......didn't get a response. Was quite funny actually. Well, next year will be aiming for 3:45

As a medium quality Roadie (Did a 4:01, but had a bit of a bug so maybe 3:40 is on), I salute all you MTB guys who "hum" past me on their MTB's with off road tyres....Well done!

Ahh. The thought of riding down hill on the N14 and M1!

Makes sense from a safety point of view to try arrange the route so that the downhill bits are on smooth wide tar.

Nasrec, going North onto the M1 perhaps - reversing the route....

Alternatively, what about the venue out in the Cradle where they held Jhb day?

Big For Sale sign outside the Polo Club entrance where the people drove into Joberg day. Not sure how long its been there as i only noticed it 2 weeks ago

Now THAT'S a plan I like.

Would just need a different Finish location..Downhill may be a bit hectic............

Big For Sale sign outside the Polo Club entrance where the people drove into Joberg day. Not sure how long its been there as i only noticed it 2 weeks ago

Signs been there a month or so.also noticed it..........

What about ...

First National Bank Stadium or simply FNB Stadium, also known as Soccer City and The Calabash, is a stadium located in Nasrec, the Soweto area of Johannesburg, South Africa...