94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

I have always understood to be time from the 'gun' to crossing the timing mats at the end .....

Yeah, time of batch start irrespective of where you are, front or back, to when you cross the timing mat at end. One thing i did not notice was timing mats along the route.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, time of batch start irrespective of where you are, front or back, to when you cross the timing mat at end. One thing i did not notice was timing mats along the route.

The announcer asked people not to all try and bunch up at the front as timing only starts once you cross the mat ? He said that a few times , you mos know these roadies , all wanna stand in the front . :thumbdown:

To all those who complained about the cost of this event I'd like to point out a few items:

Firstly, my house is on the route (Douglas Drive), for a few days before the event the pavements were cleaned up, the road was cleaned and one or two potholes were sorted out. This was not done by the town council but privately and probably paid for by the organisers.

Road closure items like barriers etc. were delivered lateish on Saturday evening and were gone by 15h00 yesterday afternoon. Water and bananas etc. on the route were cold at every point I stopped at.

The start and finish went off without a hitch. I saw plenty of serious looking accidents and if there were no medics there already, I could hear the emergency vehicles coming up behind me on every occasion. I'll bet those poor cyclists who were taken care of by the medics found good value in their entry fee.

Frankly, the well oiled machine that I witnessed yesterday and the peace of mind I had knowing that in the event of an off I would be sorted quickly is worth every penny spent on entry fees, especially considering the fact that I had one or two riders moving across my line and almost taking me out more yesterday than I've seen in the past.

Great event once again and looking forward to next year already.

My time was 4:08 and some change.

Edited by Jigghead

The announcer asked people not to all try and bunch up at the front as timing only starts once you cross the mat ? He said that a few times , you mos know these roadies , all wanna stand in the front . :thumbdown:

Pretty much the way I understand things to be, first mat to last mat is race time.

Which climb was the toughest for you guys? The hardest one for me was in Malibongwe just before the N14...heartbreak hill wasn't too bad, not hart broken at all, maybe a light sob or two :blush:

I stand, cycle corrected then :lol: I lined up near the front of my queue but by the time our batch started I was 2/3 back from all the riders pushing in in front..

I had a great race, 94.7 is the only road race I do and I'll probably do it every year because is flippin awesome, the people, the atmosphere, the route are all amazing. My time was 3:32 :D

Which climb was the toughest for you guys? The hardest one for me was in Malibongwe just before the N14...heartbreak hill wasn't too bad, not hart broken at all, maybe a light sob or two :blush:

The whole of the N14 was tough for me. I was stupid enough to try and get up to pass someone on heartbreak hill and had both legs cramp solid. Luckily this happened right next to a physio who applied ice immediately. Had to walk for about 200meters and then I was ok to the end.

Any news on some of the patients from yesterday? One of our riders from Cycling for Pathways managed to resuscitate a suspected heart attack rider after he fell over next to him. He left when the medics arrived and took over the heart massage. We all hope the rider managed to pull through.

Frankly, the well oiled machine that I witnessed yesterday and the peace of mind I had knowing that in the event of an off I would be sorted quickly is worth every penny spent on entry fees, especially considering the fact that I had one or two riders moving across my line and almost taking me out more yesterday than I've seen in the past.

Great event once again and looking forward to next year already.

My time was 4:08 and some change.

My thoughts exactly, will be back for next year as well

The whole of the N14 was tough for me. I was stupid enough to try and get up to pass someone on heartbreak hill and had both legs cramp solid. Luckily this happened right next to a physio who applied ice immediately. Had to walk for about 200meters and then I was ok to the end.

My real cramps came just after I washed down the first beer....had to jump up and hobble a bit, was ok afterwards

I think the Racetec results are preliminary.

Yesterday mine was 3:13 and today back to 3:09:12 which agrees exactly with my Garmin which I started on the gun even though I was not near the front of the group.

Oh - and toughest climb for me was that last little climb before turning into Waterfall and the finish.

I nearly nearly abandoned ship there.

Scraped in.

Edited by Rob K

My time was 7 hours :) , Was my first time and with my mtb, took it really slow for the first half of the race just to keep some energy for the n14 which I walked up. It was so hot..Im glad I finished before the cut off time. I will get a road bike and try again next year and aim for a good time. I really enjoyed it!

I think the Racetec results are preliminary.

Yesterday mine was 3:13 and today back to 3:09:12 which agrees exactly with my Garmin which I started on the gun even though I was not near the front of the group.

Oh - and toughest climb for me was that last little climb before turning into Waterfall and the finish.

I nearly nearly abandoned ship there.

Scraped in.

I enjoyed that last climb, I had a lady hanging off my left pocket and my right hand on another ladies bum :blush: