Assaulted rider on the Spruit

Paulst12

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving this disgusting scenario out of the equation.

And I personally feel that if the assaulted rider gave an accurate description of the events, then dog lady and tattoo man need to get taken in for questioning and we all know how fruitless and expensive this can become, not to even mention time consuming.

Also counter charges and he said/she said, all of it one big mess.

But as I said, this specific scenario out of the equation .

We need to understand that it's a privilege and not a right to be able to ride our bikes along the spruit.

A little bit of common courtesy will go a long way in changing the publics perception of us.

The Spruit runs through parks, and other parks are being utilized to create what will be to many, a great route to ride.

I have never had a problem with a pedestrian, hiker, runner or dog handler along The Spruit.

Could be for the fact that I slow down when I approach them and also look for a wide way around said individuals.

However I don't ride there much as it is the cyclists that have made riding the Spruit an unpleasant experience for me.

This from their WIKI page:

There is an ongoing effort to make this space a world class river park for the use of all Joburg residents.

I am almost very certain that the cyclists will be a load more unhappy the day the council decide to put these up.

http://www.schoolsignsonline.com.au/contents/media/4604-no-cycling.gif

So he had tattoos...... was he riding flats or clipped in, and could he bunny hop while smoking and shouting halleluja!?

:whistling:

Thanks!

Looks as though the previous post went way over your head so going to leave it at.

Nothing went over my head.

Lets get it straight, you like the spruit, i don't. Simple. I am sure there are many other things i like and you don't and vice versa so why make it an issue.

You can be glad that not every single MTB rider in JHB likes the spruit...........if they did, it would be like the N1 at 7am.

hahah...

You need to pass that law before you can set a speed limit... but by all means go ahead.

I have not seen the people you speak of "who cant loose 5 seconds" and anyway... if its important to them and they are abiding by the law... and not injuring anyone... then good for them... you guys get all pompous when people ride faster than you...

You guys need the chill pills

!!GO LANCE GO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

There is no 1.5m passing law on the road yet, so you are saying if a car brushes past you but doesn't bump you everything in fine....... they didn't break any laws.

Its being considerate towards others.

Speed has its place and time, definitely not when there are people and dogs everywhere.

From what you said it looks like you are one of them who cant loose 5 seconds.

and 1 more thing, was that Giraffe stupid for crushing that guys bike?

Edited by Peach.

I have never had a problem with a pedestrian, hiker, runner or dog handler along The Spruit.

Could be for the fact that I slow down when I approach them and also look for a wide way around said individuals.

However I don't ride there much as it is the cyclists that have made riding the Spruit an unpleasant experience for me.

There is an ongoing effort to make this space a world class river park for the use of all Joburg residents.

I am almost very certain that the cyclists will be a load more unhappy the day the council decide to put these up.

http://www.schoolsignsonline.com.au/contents/media/4604-no-cycling.gif

Seems like bikers all over the world have the same problem, there is already a movement here in Switz trying to ban mountain bikers from many trails that are currently shared with walkers / hikers.

The key when sharing trails is to show them so much respect that they cannot find fault with you, or as you said is to "I slow down when I approach them and also look for a wide way around said individuals"

Here's one sign I see often in my area, typically I ignore it but when I do come across a "legal user" I always give them right of way first and never look them straight in the eyes, rather look down and appear guilty. Often they will simply smile and move aside letting me continue but occasionally there is a hero who wants to discuss the situation who then gets my defensive argument in poor german, resulting in even more head shaking...

post-182-0-29335500-1378800480_thumb.jpg

I've ridden the spruit once before when i got detention and had to spend a weekend in the big smoke.

It seems clear that there is just too much traffic on it no matter how many wheels or legs the users have. Surely there's enough space for a second path almost the entire way?

Although I dont ride the Spruit whenever I see people on paths that I use around here, I slow down and go off the track. Let the dog walkers and other pedestrians make use of the path, 2 seconds later you are past the walkers and can get back on track and up to speed again. Sometimes the pedestrians move off the path for me and I will always thank them and tell them its not necessary (thats why I have a mountain bike!) but appreciated.

A bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

So he had tattoos...... was he riding flats or clipped in, and could he bunny hop while smoking and shouting halleluja!?

:whistling:

You find it funny, read Sherriff Dangle's post above

You find it funny, read Sherriff Dangle's post above

Couldn't find it............ I like to put petrol on fire, that way the fire burns out quicker.

I don't know what Spruit you okes ride on... My happy place is full of laughs, the chirps of birds and the odd tinkle of a bicycle bell! Sure you get the odd ass trying to set a land speed record on the least technical track on planet earth, but if you let those okes ruin your ride, then you are doing it wrong ;)

don'f forget the faeries and friendly park goers :thumbup:

Every morning I wake up happy that I live in Tzaneen.

No vagrants, no faeces, no stravaholes, no PKs (unless you hang in the bosveld lapa on friday night drinking brandy and then its your own fault ;) ).

Nothing but mountains.

Come up on the 2nd November for the Magoebaskloof Classic and spend a weekend forgetting there is a spruit.

Agreed, once you have done the Magoebaskloof Classic you will ride on your indoor trainer before riding the Spruit again. :)

don'f forget the faeries and friendly park goers :thumbup:

....... trolls under the bridge???????

post-24908-0-79395400-1378807696_thumb.png

Edited by Big H*

I ride to keep fit... I have a slight OCD issue so I either go as fast as I can... Or as slow as I prefer... Either way I do not ride into any walkers... I slow down when there is no way to pass wide and safe... I greet everyone I come across... More than I can say for the so called "polite" walkers,runners, and slow cyclist... Who I now regret have some kind of grudge against anyone who doesn't ride like they do...

I make no apologies for enjoying the way I ride. And neither should any of you.. Be safe... Don't put anyone in harm's way... Be kind to everyone... And love what you do.. Or don't!

Although I dont ride the Spruit whenever I see people on paths that I use around here, I slow down and go off the track. Let the dog walkers and other pedestrians make use of the path, 2 seconds later you are past the walkers and can get back on track and up to speed again. Sometimes the pedestrians move off the path for me and I will always thank them and tell them its not necessary (thats why I have a mountain bike!) but appreciated.

A bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

There have been sections of trails made that are off the main path - some even built by us cyclists...

Yet it is only a matter of time before runners and walkers take to these paths as well.

I think it all boils down to common decency and consideration- by every person on the trails ( and life in general).

But this is something sadly lacking in our society these days.

And I for one don't see it changing soon...

Edit-spelling

Edited by mrbaker