thehubsa classifieds epic failures

PaulTeague

It can happen, a mate bought a Silverback, did one ride of about 20km with me, he did another 10km ride on his own, did the 40km Magalies Monster, thought it was all a bad idea and I took it off his hands for the princely sum of R1500, stripped the bike down, sold the frame, bought the wife another frame and used all the parts!

Good on you Mojo. A sweet deal indeed. :thumbup:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think you should have a minimum post limit to use the classifieds. The problem is that anyone selling a bike will search for classified to post it in, setting up an account takes two mins here, so they're here for 20 mins and you never hear from them again. That's where the problems seem to come in. Those of us who are regulars mostly know about sizing, pictures, etc.

I also think that crap of editing your post as SOLD is useless. Just remove it dammit. It's shorter than the edit anyway. And what you trying to prove? Look how cool I am? I sold this part? Wtf?

Pricing sorts itself out, as we witness over and over. This is also the site with provably the fewest suckers! I think.

I still think you should have a minimum post limit to use the classifieds. The problem is that anyone selling a bike will search for classified to post it in, setting up an account takes two mins here, so they're here for 20 mins and you never hear from them again. That's where the problems seem to come in. Those of us who are regulars mostly know about sizing, pictures, etc.

I also think that crap of editing your post as SOLD is useless. Just remove it dammit. It's shorter than the edit anyway. And what you trying to prove? Look how cool I am? I sold this part? Wtf?

Pricing sorts itself out, as we witness over and over. This is also the site with provably the fewest suckers! I think.

when you rate the buyer, you need the ad number, which is on the ad. If its gone, you cant get it. Thus saying sold, means one can avoid all the emails, while giving the buyer time to rate the seller.

Edit: spelling

Edited by braailegend

two favourite fails

when the seller lists a 29er dual suspension as a mountain bike.........

when someone tries to sell a trek "livestrong" bike or a trek bike, "as ridden buy Lance Armstrong".

It is like calling the EFF a political party- technically true, but not really).

My favourite is the bikes that have only done 80 km! Who on earth buys a bike, rides it for 80km and then decides to sell it? 80km is one Saturday morning ride. There is no way on earth that you can buy a bike, ride it 80km and then decide that its not for you.

The classifieds are littered with them and I've seen it in action:

- Guy gets bored of current toys

- Mate rides and has hell nice bike

- Guy likes the look of that, decides time to take up cycling

- Guy has to go buy decent bike & all the kit or thinks people will point and laugh

- Guy hasn't ridden since nipper

- Mate says he'll take Guy for ride but has been riding so long has forgotten what it's like to start

- Pair hit 'easy trails' 20kms later Guy is flogged, gets home, takes a week to recover, back stuffed, legs stiff and butt beaten.

- Guy is mentally scared, seems all a bit hard work, new bike sits in garage with boat, dirt bike, surfboard, wakeboard, golf clubs and only taken out on the odd ride with his kids around street on their bug bikes less than a km

- Guys other mate spots said bike in corner of garage dusty with a clothes dryer leaning up against it and 2 flat tyres. 'Says we should ride', Guy remembers and say 'nah, that thing? Piece of s*it. You can have it if you want, R2K, it's a bit buggered'.

- Mate buys @ R1500, pumps up original tyres, cleans off dust, quick service and heads out for a session on a brand new, 3 year old bike with less then 100kms on the thing... in my case it was a Scott Scale 40.

Have a mate who looks like doing the same thing with his ski boat. Bought, never bothered to get skippers, can't be bothered, now taking up space, 3 years later. :)

Ok this is unrelated but some advice would be appreciated on my upcoming sale ..

i have recently been given a 3bike b&b bike rack as a gift from the Mrs , (as me reversing trailers leads to a lot of foul words and things been thrown about )

but i now have an aluminum light weight 4 bike trailer with accessories box for sale.

It is licensed registered etc , now i know what it cost me to get the trailer and what it cost to get it licensed ie vin number etc.

it is lightweight and can accommodate 4 bikes (if 26inch it can take the wheels on the trailer as well) not 29inch wheels on trailer but bike and rear wheel . It has a quick release mechanism holding bikes in place.

what do you value an item like this at, and secondly how would you market it correctly ?

:)

- Guy has to go buy decent bike & all the kit or thinks people will point and laugh

- Mate says he'll take Guy for ride but has been riding so long has forgotten what it's like to start

- Pair hit 'easy trails' 20kms later Guy is flogged, gets home, takes a week to recover, back stuffed, legs stiff and butt beaten.

- Guy is mentally scared, seems all a bit hard work, new bike sits in garage with boat, dirt bike, surfboard, wakeboard, golf clubs and only taken out on the odd ride with his kids around street on their bug bikes less than a km

- Guys other mate spots said bike in corner of garage dusty with a clothes dryer leaning up against it and 2 flat tyres. 'Says we should ride', Guy remembers and say 'nah, that thing? Piece of s*it. You can have it if you want, R2K, it's a bit buggered'.

- Mate buys @ R1500, pumps up original tyres, cleans off dust, quick service and heads out for a session on a brand new, 3 year old bike with less then 100kms on the thing... in my case it was a Scott Scale 40.

Have a mate who looks like doing the same thing with his ski boat. Bought, never bothered to get skippers, can't be bothered, now taking up space, 3 years later. :)

Suppose not everyone loves cycling as much as I do.

I can relate. List of toys at home that I have hardly ever used"

- Nintendo Wii (should have gotten the Playstation 4?)

- Tri wetsuite (used once, almost drowned and I am yet to try open water swimming again)

- Circular saw. Bought it for one specific DIY project. Should have rented one. Its much easier buying hand made furniture from skilled artisans

- Bialetti esspresso pot (first one exploded, so the nice fancy one my wife bought me was used once or twice on camping trips afterwards)

- Just about all my camping gear. These days we rent a chalet.

- Snorkeling gear. Just thankful I never got the scuba gear too

- New Taylormade golf clubs bought in 2006. Used it for 2 rounds and once at the driving range. Then I bought a mountainbike and forgot all about golf.

- Road bike. Used quite a bit in 2007 and 2008. Now it gathers dust in my garage as it was last used for DC almost 3 years ago

- Tandem. Bought in Jan last year, did 4 training rides and 3 races with the missus. Did the Argus with her, now hands from my garage rafters.

- Tri wetsuite (used once, almost drowned and I am yet to try open water swimming again)

- Circular saw. Bought it for one specific DIY project. Should have rented one. Its much easier buying hand made furniture from skilled artisans

- Bialetti esspresso pot (first one exploded, so the nice fancy one my wife bought me was used once or twice on camping trips afterwards)

- New Taylormade golf clubs bought in 2006. Used it for 2 rounds and once at the driving range. Then I bought a mountainbike and forgot all about golf.

- Road bike. Used quite a bit in 2007 and 2008. Now it gathers dust in my garage as it was last used for DC almost 3 years ago

- Tandem. Bought in Jan last year, did 4 training rides and 3 races with the missus. Did the Argus with her, now hands from my garage rafters.

You should make use of the classifieds :whistling:

I'll gladly take whatever you are willing to donate to those less fortunate then you? - Dibs on the circular saw, road bike, espresso pot & the Nintendo Wii. Many Thanks

Ok this is unrelated but some advice would be appreciated on my upcoming sale ..

i have recently been given a 3bike b&b bike rack as a gift from the Mrs , (as me reversing trailers leads to a lot of foul words and things been thrown about )

but i now have an aluminum light weight 4 bike trailer with accessories box for sale.

It is licensed registered etc , now i know what it cost me to get the trailer and what it cost to get it licensed ie vin number etc.

it is lightweight and can accommodate 4 bikes (if 26inch it can take the wheels on the trailer as well) not 29inch wheels on trailer but bike and rear wheel . It has a quick release mechanism holding bikes in place.

what do you value an item like this at, and secondly how would you market it correctly ?

:)

You just did

Best picture I have seen on a hub ad.

If you try and sell your bike and take a picture of it, Try and keep yourself out of the picture.

Sorry if this is any of you but had to share.

Best picture I have seen on a hub ad.

If you try and sell your bike and take a picture of it, Try and keep yourself out of the picture.

Sorry if this is any of you but had to share.

Could the upside down number on the bike be a clue?

I think he was being sarcastic. Just saying.

yeah, we addressed my failure a page or so back..

It's so simple, just be honest and fair with what you are selling.

Wait, I just posted my old MTB frame, maybe I should have said it rolls well or that it's got great peddle action to help the sale :P