Coaches-cum-selectors?

macclemore

See - question asked and answered - OP should be comfortable with that - if he/she is not, then now would be a good time to say something

Thanks for clarifying J - can't ask for more than that.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx Jeroen...

For the transparency.

Wonder what the OP has to say in response after PUBLICLY questioning a medical professional's ethical conduct.

The question was a valid question, can a person making money out a sport (by coaching or selling a product) be an unbiased selector? Or in plain speak, can someone with a vested interest in the final selection be involved in that selection?

These are valid ethical questions. It may have been a bit unfair to focus on the good doctors involvement. As the doctor has pointed out, his perceived involvement in the industry does not give him a vested interest in the selection.

Another point that the doctor does point out is that the selection committee has a fairly restricted range of selection criteria wherein they can exercise discretion, and even this is published before the time and is easily audited. So there is no beef against his position.

However, as South Africans we are very cynical and sceptical of all selection process as often the criteria are poor defined and poorly communicated prior to the participants at the start of the season AND the committees in many sports are very secretive about their discretionary latitude that the exercise. This results in rather interesting selections being made and justified by further secrecy.

Kudo's for the doctor for bring ethics back into selection.

Edited by Witkop

The question was a valid question, can a person making money out a sport (by coaching or selling a product) be an unbiased selector? Or in plain speak, can someone with a vested interest in the final selection be involved in that selection?

These are valid ethical questions. It may have been a bit unfair to focus on the good doctors involvement. As the doctor has pointed out, his perceived involvement in the industry does not give him a vested interest in the selection.

Another point that the doctor does point out is that the selection committee has a fairly restricted range of selection criteria wherein they can exercise discretion, and even this is published before the time and is easily audited. So there is no beef against his position.

However, as South Africans we are very cynical and sceptical of all selection process as often the criteria are poor defined and poorly communicated prior to the participants at the start of the season AND the committees in many sports are very secretive about their discretionary latitude that the exercise. This results in rather interesting selections being made and justified by further secrecy.

Kudo's for the doctor for bring ethics back into selection.

Good post :thumbup:

Unfortunately, there are a few sports where this is the case...no point in shouting because about it because you'll go blue in the face before anything is done. Only thing to do is put your head down and let your results speak! Rock up on race day and make the so called "high performance guys" look like they standing still!

Having spent a fair number of years observing the local racing scene and watching our youngsters try and make a career out of the sport I must say I was quite shocked this past weekend to learn that one of our national selectors is also a coach.

I gather Dr Jeroen Swart is a coach/owner in a Cape Town based company called Science2sport as well as one of three national high performance selectors? What's more, apparently he is on the board of Drug Free Sport South Africa as well as owns his own nutrition company, called Cadence?

Talk about a conflict of interests? I mean, I have an aspiring sub-junior youngster, but clearly if I don't have the right coach he's not going anywhere. What's more, if he grows up and indirectly takes the wrong supplement, he may just sit in front of a panel and recieve a stern 'I told you to take my supplement, not theirs?' :eek:

Doesn't seem right to me :thumbdown:

Piece of advice. Don't put to much pressure on your aspiring sub-junior youngster. Let him/her have fun and enjoy cycling. Don't let it become work before he/she is grown up otherwise he/she will start hating the sport and stop doing it. If he/she grows up and want to take it to the next level, then get a coach.

Thanks to The Doctor for the very clear and comprehensive response.

Given that the OP's post was directed at Dr. Swart specifically, and that he has responded to the questions raised, it will be closed shortly.

A great response from the good Doctor. I think that everything is above board with that. Great that he is so transparent. It is also good to have someone of his expertise assisting with anti-doping.

I agree with the advice Hennie VR posted. Let him enjoy his riding and if he has the required talent then it will show. Too much pressure now can be extremely damaging.

Thanks to The Doctor for the very clear and comprehensive response.

Given that the OP's post was directed at Dr. Swart specifically, and that he has responded to the questions raised, it will be closed shortly.

Please feel free to leave it open.

I am all for accountability and integrity and aspiring to the highest ethics.

Just querying the first post nature of the author and the intent.

Is there an conflict of interest with Jeroen that was not named?

Hmmm...

I am all for accountability and integrity and aspiring to the highest ethics.

Just querying the first post nature of the author and the intent.

Is there an conflict of interest with Jeroen that was not named?

Hmmm...

I think the OP should make an appropriate response - seems like the right thing to do......

I think the OP should make an appropriate response - seems like the right thing to do......

I'd be surprised if he came back. He said what he had to say and left.

Props to the Doctor for responding.