The Expense of Mountain Biking

Wes84

Bought my bike in 2007 (maxed credit card to do it.)

Still riding same bike (ok, is on third frame, but they replace them for free).

Still got same shoes (5 Sani's, 2 Berg 'n Bushes, muliple other races + commuting)

One new helmet

New set of tyres per year - crossmax and monorail - not hugely expensive. Go to Cajees. Ask 'What's the price for these?' Follow up with 'Jeez, expensive hey?' and you will get a price that is less than you'd expect.

One new trigger shifter.

Couple BB's.

Couple chains.

Couple cassetts (go for cheap steel ones).

Couple services - including one brake service from SRAM o.O !!

The most expensive part of the whole exercise is #%#$# tubeless conversions. Would have been cheaper just to go get some tubeless rims first thing.

Doesn't need to be completely expensive. Never going to be cheap tho.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought my bike in 2007 (maxed credit card to do it.)

Still riding same bike (ok, is on third frame, but they replace them for free).

Still got same shoes (5 Sani's, 2 Berg 'n Bushes, muliple other races + commuting)

One new helmet

New set of tyres per year - crossmax and monorail - not hugely expensive. Go to Cajees. Ask 'What's the price for these?' Follow up with 'Jeez, expensive hey?' and you will get a price that is less than you'd expect.

One new trigger shifter.

Couple BB's.

Couple chains.

Couple cassetts (go for cheap steel ones).

Couple services - including one brake service from SRAM o.O !!

The most expensive part of the whole exercise is #%#$# tubeless conversions. Would have been cheaper just to go get some tubeless rims first thing.

Doesn't need to be completely expensive. Never going to be cheap tho.

Why?

My problem is I bought a fairly expensive bike, carbon fame and what not, recently sold it, now I won’t be able to ride anything less!!!! Got on a really cheaper bike the other day and it didn’t suck, but it was like settling for the ugly girl… didn’t feel as good... :huh:

My previous hobbies were horse riding (had my own horse) and skydiving so mountain biking in comparison is cheap! A horse costs over R2000 per month to maintain.

Before I first started cycling I was going out at least 4 nights a week spending more than R100 per night on drinks.

So on a cheap week I'd be spending R500 on alcohol, times that by 52 = R26000 per year.

I got to a point where cycling was more important than partying and now spend hardly anything on going out so in my mind, cycling is actually saving me money!

I felt the pain this week. Service, some part replacements and new set of tyres cost a whole lot more than what I intended to pay with the initial idea of only having it serviced.

I felt the pain this week. Service, some part replacements and new set of tyres cost a whole lot more than what I intended to pay with the initial idea of only having it serviced.

Try to get in position where you can do the servicing yourself, only taking your bike to a service center / shop when you really cant do it yourself.

I can't add it up. 99% of the stuff I have I probably don't REALLY need. But it is my money and I will waste it in the way I feel best. At least my kids don't go hungry.

Sure, your money, your rules....you can do with it whatever you want.

Sure, your money, your rules....you can do with it whatever you want.

until the wife finds out how cheap this sport really is, cheaper than chess

Nobody servicing any shocks?

My last quote for the fox front shock was R4500. Some worn parts ... told them to get stuffed. That was pretty much its replacement value.

biggest issue with cost of biking is the devaluation of the Rand as all parts are imported... so the more strikes/ the more corruption is highlighted the weaker the Rand. And parts become more and more expensive!

biggest issue with cost of biking is the devaluation of the Rand as all parts are imported... so the more strikes/ the more corruption is highlighted the weaker the Rand. And parts become more and more expensive!

And buy em cos we need em!

I used to play golf, MTB is cheaper

Lets say 220 for round of golf, 70 for halfway house and then 200 for 19th makes it 500 a week

two rounds of golf a month over a year equals 6000 a year.

Since I got my new bike in Jan 2012: tubeless conversion: 550, service: 450, SLX brakes 2200

SLX chain, 320, middle chainring:180, cassette 345, service: 400

Would probably have to fit new tyres before end of the year at 800 (Spez the Captain Control)

SO over two years, about 6000. I didn't include sundries like lube and that as well as training drinks and so on

But its all worth it. I don't drink much and we don't go out too much, so that is even cheaper.

I run my bike as cheap and keep it in a good running condition. if you look after your stuff, it will last long

Still, much cheaper per year than drinking each week at the pub after work

Edited by RudoJ

I must add, however, that I first look after my wife and son's needs in a month as well as that of the house and cars, and then what's left, is mine to do with as I please