I got my bike back

snowbeast

Last year we where robbed and I lost my GT i-drive. I was gutted and insurance didn't want to pay out as I didn't have a photo of myself with my bike.

Fast forward a couple of months and a customer got chatting at work and I left late. The stars aligned and I was parked in the front at a robot and a white GT i-drive with white Fox forks came riding past me. I had a closed look and there was a Specialized Carbon seatpost and a Rasta on the saddle. I jumped the red robot and followed him into a busy street full of commuters heading home. He had no idea I was following him. I called the cops and they told me to wait 40mins until a vehicle was able to come out. I parked my bakkie and ran after him. I pulled him off my bike and a small crowd formed around us. I took a chance, loaded the bike onto the back and him in the front praying he wouldn't stab me.

I sold the idea of a reward but he soon realised we where heading to the police station. He begged me to go to the taxi rank and talk to the person he bought it off. I started to nip myself as he was getting desperate and people do stupid things when desperate.

He bolted out the bakkie and I didn't give chase. I just went to the police station to have it struck off the A1 form so if insurance ever did investigate they wont see the bike I said was stolen in my garage.

At the police station the police wanted to charge me with robbery as the previous "owner" needed to accompany me. After going back and forth a senior member had a listen, explained I couldn't have done it in a worse way from a legal point of view, but he understood the circumstance. He took my number for any further questions should they crop up.

My friend the Rasta hammered the breaks and I am busy replacing them, broke the wishbone, gears needed to be reset and fiddled with and added lots of dings to it.

All in all, bikes back, last correspondence from the cops was positive and although it started off as a ball ache they followed up and apologized and patrol our street often now.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/snowbeast26/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwMzIwLTAwMjQ4LmpwZw.jpg

My boet giving it a once over before the CANSA 12hr relay in Winterton - First ride since I got it back

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/snowbeast26/utf-8BUGlldGVybWFyaXR6YnVyZy0yMDEzMDExNi0wMDEwMy5qcGc.jpg

5mins before I was reunited - the cops could not use the picture as you cant make out his face

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got your bike back.

The police arresting you for theft, based on what evidence, case reported, claimant? They hardly investigate the reported cases. What a messed up world we live in.

I'm pretty sure everyone will say well done on getting your bike back, but you had better hope the rasta doesn't lay a charge against you, because he can if he wants to.

You effectively stole the bike from him, and by pulling him off the bike, you could also face an assault charge.

I hope you don't get a 3am wake up call from 6 or 8 cops one of these days. They do love disturbing the sleep of an easy target.

Glad you got the bike back.

Shows you how incompetent our police are. You made a citizens arrest according to our Criminal Procedure Act. I find it hard to accept their statement that you did it in the worse possible way from a legal point of view. The police need to pay more attention to policing and leave the legal stuff to the courts.

You arrested the perp, got your property back. If he runs away then so be it.

Gotta love the SAPS!!!!!

just arrest the guy with white crocs... not because of the bike he's riding, lol

Edited by braailegend

5mins before I was reunited - the cops could not use the picture as you cant make out his face

the hub lynch crew is going to take you to task for taking a photo while driving AND for skipping a red light...you are doomed ! :D

Lekker you got your bike back...although not lekker to hear of bike theft in my hometown

I'm pretty sure everyone will say well done on getting your bike back, but you had better hope the rasta doesn't lay a charge against you, because he can if he wants to.

You effectively stole the bike from him, and by pulling him off the bike, you could also face an assault charge.

I hope you don't get a 3am wake up call from 6 or 8 cops one of these days. They do love disturbing the sleep of an easy target.

I totally agree with you - what I forgot to mention is this happened a little while back and I've got the all clear from the cops before posting this.

It was a long couple of nights as I did think I was going to get arrested, but I could not wait 45mins with a crowd forming around me.

I totally agree with you - what I forgot to mention is this happened a little while back and I've got the all clear from the cops before posting this.

It was a long couple of nights as I did think I was going to get arrested, but I could not wait 45mins with a crowd forming around me.

is that by the library?

is that by the library?

Its Church Street - I'm actaully not too sure where the Lib is :wacko:

I was going up Chapel towards Hayfields side of town and turned right into Church.

See why I was nipping, not a nice part of town.

Edited by Snow_Beast

Not sure how this would hold up - remembering law classes back from varsity days, if you are in possession of stolen goods, you have no claim over them, even if you paid for them without knowing they were stolen. So even if he bought it from someone, without knowing it was stolen, he cannot lay charges, as it was never his ... my 2cents

Edited by Smiles

Well….if you ask me you took the bike back in a decent way…(regardless if he bought it from someone else or not..not your problem) …and btw ..its NOT stealing if you take your own property back!! Well done… and it made my day to know a stolen bike was returned!