Knoblies vs slicks

Active Monkey

Like most here said already... no need really to get used to it. Just ride it. It will go much faster and less painful than a mtb.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban legend - they may wear down a little more quickly

First hand experience. I've smashed a rear WTB inside 100km on tar. From new. Crossmarks and the like will be a bit better, but that centre ridge will never grip quite the same again.

First hand experience. I've smashed a rear WTB inside 100km on tar. From new. Crossmarks and the like will be a bit better, but that centre ridge will never grip quite the same again.

Wolverine? Those things last n-1 km on tar...

I'm also going to do 94.7 on MTB with knobblies. This is due to a few reasons: getting a road bike will be grounds for divorce in my house, too lazy to swop tyres around and stuff up my tubeless setup. My current tyres (Specialized the Captain Control) are near their end, so in two weeks time they should be semi-slicked. I will replace them end of November. So, just going to pump them to the max, get on and ride.

too lazy to swop tyres around and stuff up my tubeless setup.

This is why I'm riding the 94.7 in knobblies, just got the conversion done last week.

Will be riding on Maxxis Ardents, which I guess isn't ideal, but I'm only aiming for 5-6 hours anyway.

This is why I'm riding the 94.7 in knobblies, just got the conversion done last week.

Will be riding on Maxxis Ardents, which I guess isn't ideal, but I'm only aiming for 5-6 hours anyway.

You'll write off your rear tyre... Ardents are soft with not many centre knobs. Rather borrow a rear wheel from a mate and put a slick on it. The front will probably be ok though.

Just do it on knobblies! A few of us did it on our MTB's last year and one guy in our group had slicks. The speed difference was so minor, that I don't feel it is worth the effort of changing tyres. What tyres are you running? We were all running hard Crossmarks and we did a 3:30

Edited by dalem44

My crossmarks are just about finished so I will be using them. Hopefully they wont feel too grippy on the road!

Just do it on knobblies! A few of us did it on our MTB's last year and one guy in our group had slicks. The speed difference was so minor, that I don't feel it is worth the effort of changing tyres. What tyres are you running? We were all running hard Crossmarks and we did a 3:30

Well there you go. Crossmarks are so hard they're virtually slicks anyway. If you'd done the same on a set of Nevegals / Mountain Kings / Nobby Nics / Hans Dampfs I can promise you'd be singing a different tune entirely.

You'll write off your rear tyre... Ardents are soft with not many centre knobs. Rather borrow a rear wheel from a mate and put a slick on it. The front will probably be ok though.

This thing about MTB tires not lasting on tar? Hearsay. Urban legend.

I have had the following tires as a back tire in the last few years: Kenda Smallblock 8, Conti Race King and my all time favourite, the Crossmark. Not one of these tires lasted less than 3000km. MOSTLY tar.

After the Barberton MTB race in January, I installed Crossmark UST as a rear tire an an Ikon front. Did Feb and March TAR ROAD training for Epic. Then I did the Epic on the same tires. After that I did more km's on tar. Then I did the Jock road race in July on the same tires, trained and did the 3 Towers on the same tires. The Ikon is close to new condition, but the rear may be close to the end of its lifespan.

Go figure...