What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He wont buy one, I can guarantee that.

He's not biting......yet. Never thought I would see him with gears so things can change

He's not biting......yet. Never thought I would see him with gears so things can change

sure....must just work him a bit.

haha you guys are clowns.

Maybe an old school steel SS roadbike

or one of those gates belt drive road frames.

post-16067-0-58568700-1389189231_thumb.jpg

or this baby running 1x11

post-16067-0-85355400-1389188989_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcmeyerSS

Took my bike for a ride through the Amatola Mtns this weekend. Think I'll put a smaller chainring on. After climbing for 10 km, my legs were toast.

Took my bike for a ride through the Amatola Mtns this weekend. Think I'll put a smaller chainring on. After climbing for 10 km, my legs were toast.

imana is one of the must do rides for sure.

I run 34T front, 11-36T at the back, on a 26" bike. (so basically the same as your setup).

I find I can go pretty much anywhere. And if I can't, it's quicker to walk anyway.

Same as my set up - initially found it tough but now get up just about anything. Good traction at the back helps make it up super steep stuff slowly. Just keep riding and you'll get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking for some advice on the 1 x 10 setups.

I am currently running a 2 x 10 setup with a 39-26 up front and a 11-36 at the back.

My rear derailleur is a sram x9 10 speed type 1

If I want to change to a 1 x 10 setup and I get a long tooth chainring http://www.evobikes.co.za/frm-single-speed-34t-long-tooth-chainring.html

Will I need to get a chainguide?

Will I need to shorten my chain?

Do I need a type 2 (clutch) derailleur?

Thanks

Same as my set up - initially found it tough but now get up just about anything. Good traction at the back helps make it up super steep small stuff slowly. Just keep riding and you'll get used to it.

true, seen that in action Edited by Hairy

Just looking for some advice on the 1 x 10 setups.

I am currently running a 2 x 10 setup with a 39-26 up front and a 11-36 at the back.

My rear derailleur is a sram x9 10 speed type 1

If I want to change to a 1 x 10 setup and I get a long tooth chainring http://www.evobikes....-chainring.html

Will I need to get a chainguide?

Will I need to shorten my chain?

Do I need a type 2 (clutch) derailleur?

Thanks

Rather get a wide/narrow type chainring. The wide/narrow tooth profile helps prevent chain-drop when running a 1x10 setup and I would run it with a type 2 derailleur or chainguide.

From Wolftoothcycling: http://www.wolftooth...g.com/pages/faq

Q: How long should my chain be for a 1x drivetrain?

A: Wrap the chain around the largest cog in the back and the chainring in the front. Do NOT route through the rear derailleur. Overlap the ends of the chain by a total of 4 links (2 links on each end of the chain) -- that's the correct length.

Edited by d@vid

I've got a an XT 2x10 crankset which I'm going to be using for a 1x10 conversion.

The outer ring is 104BCD so I believe that you can just bolt on the desired chainring, which in my case is a RaceFace narrow wide 34t.

With this configuration, the chain line may not be optimal, especially when on the big back cog. Is it better to put in spacers between the spider and the chainring to shift the chainline across slightly?

Is see that for the 30t chainring the chainline will be shifted across slightly to the left by design of the chainring because the chain wouldn't otherwise be able to clear the spider.

I'd be keen to hear from others who have set up 1x10 using a 2x10 crankset if they have felt it necessary to do anything like this.