My cyclist on the M3 beats your cyclist on the M5

stratus5

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this oke is crazy, probably the scariest intersection in the city, with a slip lane leading into the fast lane on a tight bridge. it is however a weak link in the CT cycle route. try riding to uct <=> town

Been seeing so many cyclist on the M5 and many of them in rush hour traffic! WTF!!! Some people have a death wish...

http://roadsafety.co...on-the-freeway/

I commuted for yonks on main road in peak traffic.

Always thought the cyclists on M5 were mad, until I tried it.

Best and safest option in peak traffic. Huge shoulder, but have to be careful when crossing on ramps - sometimes you just go up them and down the other side.

id def take m5 over the main/lower main road during rush hour!

I find Main Road rush hour better than when it is free flowing. At least then the traffic moves slowly and at around the speed you go on a bike, or a bit slower even. When it is free flowing you have the bloody Jammie Shuttle and Golden Arrow buses fly past you from behind at break neck speeds. The taxis are usually better than the busus and a LOT better than trophy moms driving top of the range 4x4s delivering their kids to school.

I find Main Road rush hour better than when it is free flowing. At least then the traffic moves slowly and at around the speed you go on a bike, or a bit slower even. When it is free flowing you have the bloody Jammie Shuttle and Golden Arrow buses fly past you from behind at break neck speeds. The taxis are usually better than the busus and a LOT better than trophy moms driving top of the range 4x4s delivering their kids to school.

Oh hell yes. Used to commute Wynberg to Loop Street a few years back. FAR preferred rush hour to mid-day.

Only really true of Short Term insurance, when it comes to doing things like breaking the speed limit (if it's proven) or driving drunk.

Med Aid / Life insurance only generally doesn't pay if the injury / illness etc is self inflicted. Cycling on a freeway wouldn't be one of those things that are categorized as "self inflicted"

ITO Disability insurance, the majority of providers have removed the "in the process of performing an illegal act" thing from their policy documents as an exclusion.

Insurance companies look for every reason not to pay out...not keen to test your theory so I'm staying off the freeway.

Oh hell yes. Used to commute Wynberg to Loop Street a few years back. FAR preferred rush hour to mid-day.

And besides Main Road is a lot more interesting...

Insurance companies look for every reason not to pay out...not keen to test your theory so I'm staying off the freeway.

Dude, life cover even pays out on suicide... (plus it's my profession, life insurance and investment)

<p>

Been seeing so many cyclist on the M5 and many of them in rush hour traffic! WTF!!! Some people have a death wish...

http://roadsafety.co...on-the-freeway/

A person do not need to be licensed to ride a bicycle on the road. We all presume everyone knows the K53 rules.

The link you provided suggests signs, warning pedestrians as well.

"In my view this prohibition sign should appear at the on-ramp to every freeway:" http://roadsafety.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/cycling-pedestians.jpg

<p>

A person do not need to be licensed to ride a bicycle on the road. We all presume everyone knows the K53 rules.

The link you provided suggests signs, warning pedestrians as well.

"In my view this prohibition sign should appear at the on-ramp to every freeway:" http://roadsafety.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/cycling-pedestians.jpg

Yes! :clap:

I heard on the Radio this morning that the Western Cape is having a road safety drive. Part of that involves educating school kids. Another part is about improving road design and signs to enhance safety as well as on-going additions to cycling lanes.

Can someone (with better IT skills than me) get this suggestion to our local Transport Head Honcho please?

Dude, life cover even pays out on suicide... (plus it's my profession, life insurance and investment)

OK I believe you.

the only thing I see wrong is that the photo is under exposed :ph34r:

I don't ride the M5 in the morning and take lower Main Rd, I agree the M5 broad yellow lane is probably safer in peak traffic because you have to be very cautious on lower main rd into town, gets scary at times.

eish, can we please have cycling lanes! trust me I know alot of people that will cycle to work if there were cycling lanes. don't blame the folks.