My cyclist on the M3 beats your cyclist on the M5

stratus5

This guy might just be onto something #OccupyHospitalBend :whistling:

More seriously, a dedicated bicycle lane from the southern suburbs (even the peninsula) to town is sorely needed. Main/ Victoria Road and Malta/ Albert Road are completely unsuitable for bicycles. Government and citizens in South Africa need to start seeing private cars as the last option, not the primary one.

But yes, that would require some initiative to change public behaviour, improve public transport and non-motorised transport infrastructure. It's the only way to go, don't believe me, just look at some of the most successful cities around the world. /rant

Edited by Nick.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy might just be onto something #OccupyHospitalBend :whistling:

More seriously, a dedicated bicycle lane from the southern suburbs (even the peninsula) to town is sorely needed. Main/ Victoria Road and Malta/ Albert Road are completely unsuitable for bicycles. Government and citizens in South Africa need to start seeing private cars as the last option, not the primary one.

But yes, that would require some initiative to change public behaviour, improve public transport and non-motorised transport infrastructure. It's the only way to go, don't believe me, just look at some of the most successful cities around the world. /rant

Didn't I read about a Peninsula cycling lane/track that is on the cards?

Or is it just one of my wildest dreams.

Didn't I read about a Peninsula cycling lane/track that is on the cards?

Or is it just one of my wildest dreams.

That would be great!

There have been so many opportunities to slowly build such a lane, when roads have been upgrade, but sadly the foresight has not been there. Best example being the restoration of Main Road from Muizenberg southwards.

.................More seriously, a dedicated bicycle lane from the southern suburbs (even the peninsula) to town is sorely needed. Main/ Victoria Road and Malta/ Albert Road are completely unsuitable for bicycles. Government and citizens in South Africa need to start seeing private cars as the last option, not the primary one.........................

I understand that the next cycle lane the City of Cape Town plans to build (paint?) will link up the Milnerton one at the Old Brewery in Woodstock with the Southern Suburbs (incomplete) one that now ends at the River Club in Observatory. I assume this will run along Albert Road? That will help if cars cannot obstruct it. Otherwise it will be a waste, like the current bus lane. I think much more is needed all the way from the Deep South to the City centre. Also, something from the east along Klipfontein Road? Also, along Voortrekker Road. I suppose we can dream.

I have no problem with that at all, I encourage him further to do it more often

Duuuude, the oke is in work clothes, isn't there a thread about it.

I understand that the next cycle lane the City of Cape Town plans to build (paint?) will link up the Milnerton one at the Old Brewery in Woodstock with the Southern Suburbs (incomplete) one that now ends at the River Club in Observatory. I assume this will run along Albert Road? That will help if cars cannot obstruct it. Otherwise it will be a waste, like the current bus lane. I think much more is needed all the way from the Deep South to the City centre. Also, something from the east along Klipfontein Road? Also, along Voortrekker Road. I suppose we can dream.

The bus lane is patrolled rather heavily regarding the atoppig of cara during the rush hours time. The hand out tons of tickets.

Duuuude, the oke is in work clothes, isn't there a thread about it.

He's gonna meet his creator in those clothes too, thats why I encourage

Edited by ChUkKy

hope so, that bit the missing link coming from the south, but they might as well restart the liesbeeck parkway ones from scratch. I think it got black balled, but following railway with a dedicated path seemed like the best option.

Less graft for Avbob.

and just a bit more for the poor sod who has to wipe his intestines out from the wheel arches of the 18 wheeler that flattens him

hope so, that bit the missing link coming from the south, but they might as well restart the liesbeeck parkway ones from scratch. I think it got black balled, but following railway with a dedicated path seemed like the best option.

My thoughts exactly - it is virtually level, straighter than any other route, and will have no interruptions / crossing streets.

OK I believe you.

some of the old (pre-2003/2004) policies may still have arcane exclusions, but most of those should be surrendered by now as their cash values and insurance amounts would do FAR better in their respective sectors (far better ROI in a dedicated investment with AG / Marriott etc & far better costings & coverage on Life insurance / disability benefits)

Sorry, but didn't the M5 debate come up a long time ago, like 2 years back.... Certain parts of the m5 is legal to cycle isn't it? From N2 to Wynberg i understood?

Sorry, but didn't the M5 debate come up a long time ago, like 2 years back.... Certain parts of the m5 is legal to cycle isn't it? From N2 to Wynberg i understood?

And the N1 into town at some point. But having some facts at hand would be far less entertaining.

And the N1 into town at some point. But having some facts at hand would be far less entertaining.

You may not cycle on a freeway, that's why you are allowed on the N1 out of town until church street exit, as the sign that a freeway starts is after the church street exit. Find it much safer going n1 for that bit than down main road.

Not sure which parts of M5 are high way, I am sure past ottery I don't think its a freeway.