94.7 MTB Race bottle necks

Spinsei

It was my 1st and last 94.7 MTB event. I started in A8 of the 55km ride that bottle neck held me back for over and 1hr then the second bottle neck another 40 odd min. By that time I was already burnt Medium Rare from the sun. When we headed back to waterfall we saw the 15Km sign and decided to finish the event on 33km. We did 33K's in over 3h21 no thank you. I was very disappointed as I was really aiming for a sub 3h30 :(

LEADSA pls set an example and get this race organised better and listen to your fellow entrants without them this event is not possible. have chicken runs for the technical areas this will make very one enj the event. MOST importantly have a cut off number if you enter late sorry for YOU.

Maybe use saseeding for the time keeping this way you have the experienced rides seeded accordingly and the 94.7 1 day warrior's in a separate class or batch.

Edited by maffias

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, was waiting for a thread like this to appear. This race is all about maximizing profits for the organisers.

The Spruit was lovely and quiet this morning.

We commuted to and from the race on the spruit. The commute was great, the race rubbish (pun intended).

My opinion is that it is to be expected, in these larger races, where it has become "fashion" to MTB.

This race should be regarded as training.

Serious racers/riders should stay away from this event.

Very , very true statement that.

Everyone goes on about how the sport is growing, this however is not the case.

Guest Hollow Man

As I read this feedback, I am so grateful that my allergic reaction to crowds keeps me away from Gang Bangs like this. I'd rather ride my bike alone or with a couple of mates and enjoy it, thanks. I'd even rather carry my bike 10km than get involved in this kind of chaos. Aren't we supposed to have fun on our bikes? Crazy World, ne ?

I am really amused to see that people seem genuinly surprised by the chaos that is the 94.7 mtb event......... Like this has never happened before.

I had a nice quite ramble around the cradle on my SS.....bliss......

94.7 MTB is not a race. It's an event.

If you want to race, get into A1 or A2 (it's not exactly hard) and you'll be 100's.

If you're out of that, then chill, and enjoy.

PS: I rode out of A2 - was a little surprised at what A2 riders can't ride - but then again, it is 94.7 MTB. Shouldn't be surprised...

They shouldn't have added that section of single track. Big mistake. The rest of the route was cool. I'm glad I started in A2. The worst I had was a walk through there, no waiting.

Nick - did you SS it? Didn't see you in A2 (not that I was looking...)

Started in A5.

The race was fine until we got to the major bottle neck and then I got to have a nice 30 minute picnic.

The seeding was a joke in general, not so much for me but for guys from work I entered with: One guy bought an MTB a month ago, hasn't raced in 7 years and got into A2. I passed him at about the 30km mark.

Just saw on facebook that some 55km riders were stopped due to bottlenecks and told to do 33 odd km....not good!! But after riding the course today there was only one place that caused bottle necks the rest was open and fast flowing. Not sure what the solution is bar smaller batches based on sas seedlings.

Simple. Cap the entries at X amount of riders. But greed prevailed.

Nick - did you SS it? Didn't see you in A2 (not that I was looking...)

Yup started in the middle of A2 and had a cracker. I got to the bottleneck ahead of the masses so wasn't delayed more than a minute or 2. I beat last year's time by 15min.

As stated here previously:

• Organisers, remove any rocky techy stuff and keep it flowing, there was only 1 or 2 places that killed it for everyone.
  • If you want to "race", be in A1 or A2.

As an aside, this route is the most single-speed friendly out of this year's races I have done, with loads of nice gradual uphill drags where we can eat up the gearies.

The ride was not tooo bad. Started in A5 waited about 20min at the single track but had a good chat to mates and fellow riders. Still did a 3:00:29 just missed the 3 hour mark. Must say that I think the water points were well equipped but they ran out of beer at the end so I had to go home and drink there. Will I do it again, well, yes it was hot and you had to wait at the single track but it is not a "race" as nissan or mtn will do it again with the mates as a ride. sometimes us joburg okes must just stop and enjoy a race, we are so head stuck up in our own asses about race, race ,race. Take the 94.7 as a ride and enjoy it

Edited by flat29

Does anyone know when the results are coming out for the race. Nothing is appearing on the site as yet>

check racetec site

Naive of them to include such single track as they did. Doesn't take rocket science to see it. A big commercial race like that obviously needs big commercial tracks. As an occasion it was brilliant, but it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

EVERYONE who enters a "race" is entitled to "flowing" track. If it's not, they paid, so they are certainly entitled to complain. Otherwise don't bother timing it, (what's the point?) and let's call it a ride.

Edited by Spinsei