Cape town weather WTF!!!

canadonis

I'm not sure if anyone feels the same but 2013 summer season has been the most miserable I've ever experienced,more so now that I've been cycling over the past few years, I have not had a chance to train at all. Im not sure how other capies have been able to train for burger and dc races, but it's the latter half in November and this weeken weather was what we experience in July..WTF!!!

Hahaha u r just looking for a reason not to train!!

In korea during summer humid, hot and raining, during winter freezing and snowing. But people cycle as long as roads are ok. Hahaha CT weather is the best even during the winter!!! Only except raining day. Hahahaha.

I'm not sure if anyone feels the same but 2013 summer season has been the most miserable I've ever experienced,more so now that I've been cycling over the past few years, I have not had a chance to train at all. Im not sure how other capies have been able to train for burger and dc races, but it's the latter half in November and this weeken weather was what we experience in July..WTF!!!

If you're a fairweather rider in Cape Town, it can be tough.

Be prepared to roll in the drizzle and chill and gusts every now and then.

I've been running iRide Africa for 5 years now so have been outside, cycling a LOT during this period and have been taking note of the weather during every month for 5 years. This rain is nothing abnormal-what I have noticed is that the rain in Cape Town only really stops in mid December, so that's when I can almost guarantee 90% sunny days.

What does happen sometimes is that the rain comes in the weekends for 4-5 weeks in a row, and the weeks are sunshine bliss! That is when people start moaning about all the rain because the weekends are when most people can squeeze in their long training rides.

The other interesting thing I've noticed is that winter rains really only start in July/August. May and June are incredible riding months in Cape Town besides the shorter daylight hours.

actually, its the volume of rain that's abnormal. Not to mention the intensity of summers. holycrap it's getting stupid hot in the mother city, mostly the city bowl. Consistency of 40+C temps has never been this high.

Plenty sunshine and light winds here in Fish Hoek today! And yesterday wasn't so bad either. Today's weather just confirms what IRide said. Canadonis I hope you took you're bike to work, you could get a short intense ride in during your lunch hour!

Hi guys thanks for the responses, Its been really tough to get out on the rd of late, here's another thought, if it's agreed the weather in cape town only starts clearing mid dec, should the races like burger dc etc not move to a time after argus as there seems to be consensus that the best weather is experienced from feb - April maye even June. By that stage we should have reached our peak. Any comments

For the comments about joining the wet wild and dirty bunches on mtb, I'm a regular table mountain rider but do not believe it can compensate for 5 hours on the rd with rd bike as the gear ratios are completely different.

Can

I would say what happened this past week is like clock work as to what has happened over a past number of years within a 10 day period!

1. Remember last year just before DC - road washed away near Swellendam

2. A year or to prior Montague river did some major destruction just before DC

3. Lookout beach was washed away in Plett the same time bout about 5 to 7 years ago

It seem mother nature does work still like clock work to me - you may also have noticed this years big storm came with or just before full moons!

Now thats just of memory I am sure other can full in the gaps!!!

Edited by Icycling

I think the problem for me is most of the rain is over the weekend and thats when I do most of my training. During the week its a bit difficult because of work commitments etc. That's why I plan on getting on IDT very very soon.

I think recent history will show that the double century can only take place if there’s been a storm of biblical proportions in the fortnight leading up to it.

A cape town cyclist moaning about wind is like a….

….Pimp moaning about wh*res

….fisherman moaning about rotten smells

…a fireman moaning about smoke in his eyes.

Hi guys thanks for the responses, Its been really tough to get out on the rd of late, here's another thought, if it's agreed the weather in cape town only starts clearing mid dec, should the races like burger dc etc not move to a time after argus as there seems to be consensus that the best weather is experienced from feb - April maye even June. By that stage we should have reached our peak. Any comments

For the comments about joining the wet wild and dirty bunches on mtb, I'm a regular table mountain rider but do not believe it can compensate for 5 hours on the rd with rd bike as the gear ratios are completely different.

Can

Then ride a 1x or SS mtb for 5 hours..... ha..

Serious suggestion jokes aside, its ok that you like road riding, but dont complain about the weather in Cape Town forcing you off your bike. I rode for 2 hours on Friday evening in Tokai. It was AWESOME!

Rain, wind, mud and a bit of premature darkness at 18:30 made things tricky but also super fun. Embrace the elements, grit your teeth and spread your smile. After all, training in the worst conditions only better prepares you for when its best...