Cyclist down - Johan Labuschagne

RABUBI

No need to bow. If you'd been around a bit longer you'd know what he's done. Ironic based on his track record that he ended up with a sheriff as a user name don't you think? Aaah that's right, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Your'e still a noob.

Ok. Ok. Holster your gun & get back on your horse. Lets not derail this thread. If my suggestion aint gonna work what do you suggest cyclists do?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost a close friend a month ago when she was hit by a car in a yellow lane. The driver, an african lady, with 4 passengers in her vw polo confirmed that they were late for work and the front passenger said she didn't see the cyclist as she was busy texting. I'm sure the driver's eyes were on her phone too. The yellow lane is so wide on that specific road, a whole car can ride in it. We have now received info that the young driver, who is pregnant with her 4th child, in deep debt and on debt review couldn't even care enough to give her insurance details. She admitted seeing the cyclist in the yellow lane and only when she passed noticed that she knocked her off her bike. Zané's head cracked her windscreen. Her bike was broken in a few places. Zané's husband and 2 little girls of 3years and 7 months must now carry on with their lives and the drivers that injures or kills cyclists walks away, not even bothered because nothing wi happen to them.. Because of this, my husband and I will stay off the road, and only ride mtb from now. We owe it to our children and family. So sad that we must give up our sport because of bad driving!

Get well soon Johan!

We lost a close friend a month ago when she was hit by a car in a yellow lane. The driver, an african lady, with 4 passengers in her vw polo confirmed that they were late for work and the front passenger said she didn't see the cyclist as she was busy texting. I'm sure the driver's eyes were on her phone too. The yellow lane is so wide on that specific road, a whole car can ride in it. We have now received info that the young driver, who is pregnant with her 4th child, in deep debt and on debt review couldn't even care enough to give her insurance details. She admitted seeing the cyclist in the yellow lane and only when she passed noticed that she knocked her off her bike. Zané's head cracked her windscreen. Her bike was broken in a few places. Zané's husband and 2 little girls of 3years and 7 months must now carry on with their lives and the drivers that injures or kills cyclists walks away, not even bothered because nothing wi happen to them.. Because of this, my husband and I will stay off the road, and only ride mtb from now. We owe it to our children and family. So sad that we must give up our sport because of bad driving!

Get well soon Johan!

Sad man really sad story. Yes it is an enormous problem this. We were involved in a hit and run a few weeks ago. A horrible experience. No fatalities luckily. When the driver was traced and arrested, he was more concerned about getting his car back than the injuries he had caused.

Ok. Ok. Holster your gun & get back on your horse. Lets not derail this thread. If my suggestion aint gonna work what do you suggest cyclists do?

Perhaps change your name to Rewind, sit back and get to know some hubbers before you make your fingers do the talking again without knowing who you talking to on the Hub.

Perhaps change your name to Rewind, sit back and get to know some hubbers before you make your fingers do the talking again without knowing who you talking to on the Hub.

Geez you guys r full of testosterone. Im trying to keep this on track. Lets work towards a solution, dont you agree? Let me try again...

if money is less of an issue, then an interested party can appoint an attorney on watching brief to ensure a criminal investigation & prosecution agains a driver does not get derailed along the way & he is dealt with the full force of the law.

What will happen is that a prosecutor will make a decision to prosecute (go to court or set a fine) or not based on the evidence that is provided to him via the investigating officer. You do not need a photo of video clip of the incident. However, any material or corroborating witnesses will only strengthen your own evidence. this will make it easier for the prosecutor to make an informed decision and if the case should go to court the chances of a conviction is so much better.

My point is that, even if you are a single witness, and even if the driver does not get a fine or get prosecuted, by laying a charge your incident will become part of the statistics (which is what we need - more stats on cycling accidents - more reason for government to react) and also, important, the driver would still be 'harassed' / 'irritated' by the police looking for him & taking his warning statement. To some extent this will put stress on the driver and he will think twice in future before he drives like an idiot again. Technically we are all able to police our roads, we don't need traffic cops to do it alone.

Imagine driving through an area where you know cyclists are known for laying charges against reckless drivers. If you are that driver - would you not drive with more caution in that area in fear of a cyclist laying charges against you?

I was hit by a taxi in 2001 and the driver was only convicted in 2008.The avg person doesn't have the time to sit at court and have the case postponed 27 times.....That's almost a month that i sat at court.

I followed up weekly with the guy investigating my case and eventually took the docket from him as he had more important cases.....i was lucky as i was in the SAPS at the time.

It was my word against his but i paid to have a accident scene expert draw plans of the accident.

After all of this he was convicted of reckless and/or neg driving...he was given a 6months prison or R3000 fine.He only sat 30 days and was released.

Was it worth it?Hell YES

Lovely strory, however the prosecutor is guaranteed to take the "he said , she said stance" followed by "lack of evidence"

The reason taxis break every conceivable road law is that they never get prosecuted, almost as if they have an invincibility cloak.

A "cloak of stupidity"?

No need to bow. If you'd been around a bit longer you'd know what he's done. Ironic based on his track record that he ended up with a sheriff as a user name don't you think? Aaah that's right, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Your'e still a noob.

To be honest, I had to Google the name and found this section in Wikipedia that might lighten the mood :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyatt_Earp#Dubious_claims_by_Earp

To be honest, I had to Google the name and found this section in Wikipedia that might lighten the mood :)

http://en.wikipedia...._claims_by_Earp

I didn't want to confess to the Johnny Ringo murder at first, I was worried of being lynched.

I then made my way to South Africa as I knew they were very lenient on wrongful offenders in this country.

Edit:

You will also see that not all you read on Wiki can be believed, if you look at this snippet from the same page, you will notice they spelt Pretoria wrong.

He also told Lake that he had hunted buffalo during 1871 and 1872, yet arrest records show he was arrested and jailed on a horse theft charge on April 6, 1871, and arrested in Peoria during February 1872.[112]

Edited by Wyatt Earp

From yesterday

@cyclelab_PTA: Johan is out of 3,5hour surgery. All went well. Still very swollen. Still in ICU. Thanks for all the support and messages.

Hey Johan, I only found out now. I really hope you get better soon. I was wondering why I didn't see you either in Irene or Old Jhb. Get better soon dude, I look forward to riding to work with you again. SK.