Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

I checked last years results and after the 2nd stage last year they where more than 8 minutes down and won.

A question, are you allowed to swop a bike with a teammate, or only parts?

As far as I know you need to finish the stage on the bike you started with.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only parts.

You're right Mackie, its going to be a big fight. Attack attack attack!! (BTW are you training for Monster?)

Of course, I am up to 6 beers a day, move to 8 on Friday.

@mackie correct, you need to finish on the bike you started since the number board cannot be removed during the stage

Edited by GoLefty!!

would be great to have a amateur and/or weekend warrior categories

ja there was a thread on this the other day, see hannes is riding with nic lamond, maybe sakkie has had enough of waiting(he's the brother who rode semi pro road racing)!

would love to know who the top camping team is with the weather!

i think the Hanekom brothers(legendary apple farmers from witzenberg valley) deserve this since epic is in the heart of harvest season.

I'd like to see the following categories, maybe on thehub we can identify who fits them, in some cases it might need to be just one rider in the team.

* top privateer team

* top camping team

* top team on 26ers

* top v-brake team$

* top singlespeed team

* top rigid team

* top team on 'budget bikes'%

$ yup v-brakes were at XC world champs at pmb last year on one of the lesotho bikes so it's not impossible

% i would thumbsuck a budget bike as something weighing more than 14kg, probably with alivio or equivalent. then again there might be some long travel 'comfort bikes' that are quite pricey, so i suppose anything under 10grand should be a good marker(when the entry fee costs R25k pp).

As far as goals go -

"Says Schurter “We’re racing together for the first time and I’m really looking forward to it. Philip is a great guy and a great talent. His experiences on stage races in the South African heat and my experiences in cross-country races will make us super strong. Our goal is to win the race."

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/nino-schurter-philip-buys-team-2014-absa-cape-epic/

Mos gese die mense moet hul mud guards inpak! Manne was erg vuil vandag en die meeste het by WP3 byMedi-Clinic gestop vir oogdruppels! Nadat ek vandag weer gaan kyk het, brand my gat weer van voor af vir my 3de Epic. Hierdie keer soek ek n borg en ons almal weet wat daai kanse is, steeds hoor mens altyd van mense wat ALS geborg kry! I WISH.......

32.9 UCI pro-elite category riders are entitled to accept physical and technical assistance (including replacement bike

parts/frame) from other riders, including non-UCI pro-elite category riders but excluding outcast riders.

7 Bicycles

7.1 Only mountain bikes in good working order and race ready at the start of each stage will be allowed to start that stage.

7.2 For purposes of rule 7.1, “race ready” means the following:

7.2.1 the front number board is securely fitted and visible from the front;

7.2.2 the frame marking is displayed as per instructions received at registration;

7.2.3 the bike is in safe working order, as determined in the discretion of the commissaire;

7.2.4 handlebar ends and handlebar extensions shall be plugged and must not have sharp or jagged edges. The use of tribars

and bladed wheels is not allowed; and

7.2.5 bicycles may be propelled only through a chainset and by the rider’s leg action, without any form of assistance

(electrical or otherwise)

7.3 Tandem bikes complying with the requirements set out in rules 7.1and 7.2 above are allowed.

7.4 Each rider is responsible for the maintenance of his/her own bike for the duration of the race.

7.5 In all cases of maintenance and repair, riders are required to complete the full distance of the stage and must complete

the stage within the maximum stage time. Time spent on maintenance and repair will thus not entitle a rider to any

extension of the maximum stage time.

ja there was a thread on this the other day, see hannes is riding with nic lamond, maybe sakkie has had enough of waiting(he's the brother who rode semi pro road racing)!

would love to know who the top camping team is with the weather!

The top camping team of all time go to Gawie Combrink and Nico Bell in 2012, finished 9th, camping!

Should be fairly easy for the organisers to see which teams did not get their entry sponsored and paid their own way! Should be a mention category at least...

cant see why the winning amatuer team can't win an upgraded entry to the following years event., the runnrs up some zooshy EVOC bike luggage and the third place a gift voucher to the tune of a R1000-00 to spend at Woolies or with one of the other sponsors

As far as goals go -

"Says Schurter “We’re racing together for the first time and I’m really looking forward to it. Philip is a great guy and a great talent. His experiences on stage races in the South African heat and my experiences in cross-country races will make us super strong. Our goal is to win the race."

http://www.treadmtb....absa-cape-epic/

Not gonna win it on 650b :ph34r:

The top camping team of all time go to Gawie Combrink and Nico Bell in 2012, finished 9th, camping!

that is frikken amazing.

someone ask mannie if they camped in the first one or already had a bit of support.