Argus MTB

FCH

Anyone know how much climbing? Paul was riling us up at the start about 1700m - but two people's garmin showed it was around 1200m?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Strava says 1450m. The Garmins seem to have way less climbing. One guy with a Garmin had 1000m and we only had about 10km left, and there wasn't much climbing in the last 10km.

Definitely less than 1700m though, the climbs were all relatively short.

Edited by Lone_Ranger

+1 on it being much better than last year. I enjoyed it a lot but also agree with the comment about jeeptrack being very slippery (maybe I just don't ride a lot of jeeptrack and need to work on that aspect :) )

Quite dusty and loose in some sections but overall it was really fun and very well organized! 2:56 for me, all I wanted was a sub 3 :thumbup:

PS: my elevation 1590 on strava but on garmin in the 1300 somewhere, got really nervous during race as the km's got less to the finish but the climbing wasn't close to 1700 as they said in the beginning :eek:

+1 on it being much better than last year. I enjoyed it a lot but also agree with the comment about jeeptrack being very slippery (maybe I just don't ride a lot of jeeptrack and need to work on that aspect :) )

Quite dusty and loose in some sections but overall it was really fun and very well organized! 2:56 for me, all I wanted was a sub 3 :thumbup:

PS: my elevation 1590 on strava but on garmin in the 1300 somewhere, got really nervous during race as the km's got less to the finish but the climbing wasn't close to 1700 as they said in the beginning :eek:

Ja I kakked myself when I heard a guy say 1000m climbed so far and only about 10km to go. I had this picture of us climbing up the mountain at some crazy gradient, cos I knew we still had to get back down.

I've found pauls information on distance/climbing to be very different to published at times.. try not to take any notice. :)

2:43 in today's "road race", probably lost 10-15mins on most downhills as I was on a rigid fork & was shitting bricks on the climbs due to my 1x10 setup with 36T chainring & 36T cassette, thankfully they were all Short & I didn't have to get off the bike once except when I fell on the 1st single track going at like 5kmph. 2nd last Putin with the rigid as will be doif Sundays road race on the MTB again. With 2 x Sub3's under the belt already I need a new challenge, a sub3 will be a bonus but I will not hold my breath.

THREE friggin sponsors and NO goody bag whatsoever!!! Sies and gah.

Seriously?

What do people expect in these goody bags?

A set of XT pedals, Assos bibs, ESI grips and a years subscription to Ride magazine? (Just not Bicycling, please!)

All they ever put in there is a crap load of flyers about crap you will never use. Samples (5ml) of bath oil, deepheat, deodorant, even tampons and 6 month old magazine's. The water bottles are always crap, like those blue Powerrade ones we got at the Argus, did not seal and was so thin it fell out of you bottlecage.

Only useful thing in there is the Barone sample ... I eat that and chuck the rest in the bin before leaving the expo.

They can ma keep their goody bag!

Seriously?

A set of XT pedals, Assos bibs, ESI grips and a years subscription to Ride magazine? (Just not Bicycling, please!)

All they ever put in there is a crap load of flyers about crap you will never use. Samples (5ml) of bath oil, deepheat, deodorant, even tampons and 6 month old magazine's. The water bottles are always crap, like those blue Powerrade ones we got at the Argus, did not seal and was so thin it fell out of you bottlecage.

Only useful thing in there is the Barone sample ... I eat that and chuck the rest in the bin before leaving the expo.

lol!!!!

2:43 in today's "road race", probably lost 10-15mins on most downhills as I was on a rigid fork & was shitting bricks on the climbs due to my 1x10 setup with 36T chainring & 36T cassette, thankfully they were all Short & I didn't have to get off the bike once except when I fell on the 1st single track going at like 5kmph. 2nd last Putin with the rigid as will be doif Sundays road race on the MTB again. With 2 x Sub3's under the belt already I need a new challenge, a sub3 will be a bonus but I will not hold my breath.

Nice one dude, thats a good time on a Jack Hammer

Seriously?

Here are a few ideas for a goodie bag for this event:

- Free day pass for the Simonsberg Conservancy trails and Delvera Trails to be used after the event

- Free wine tasting voucher / discounted wine tasting at the 5 or so wine farms we visited during the ride to be used during the week leading up to the Argus.

- 15% discount voucher at one or more of the restaurants at the wine farms visited

- 15% off all Dirtopia / AMA rider merchandise at the trail centre

The orginisers missed a golden opportunity to give the farms that generously make their land available some much needed and appreciated exposure to their brands. They could also have benefited from having a good number of riders riding their trails in the week with no traffic and at their own leisurely pace and no doubt spread some very nice word-of-mouth on these trails.

looks like there was a marshal mix-up......

http://www.sssenterp...-argus-mtb-win/

"I cross the line, hands in the air, its finally happened, and been along time coming, but after all my setbacks and issues, I’ve worked harder and smarter than ever, and its paid off now, I’ve won a big race! I’m back, I’m healthy, and I’ve given something small back to my sponsors who stood by me in the lean times.

Only to hear the announcer say “Well done on taking bronze.”

Its then I see the Cannondale/Blend team being interviewed. Confused, upset, angry, embarrassed were just a few of the emotions running through me at the time."

Edited by Stretch