EPIC COMP CARBON 2014 or Momsen VIPA?

Wasbeer

Well, generally speaking, they're ridden by ponces... A vast majority of their fans and owners couldn't tell if the bike they're on IS as awesome as they think it is, or if it had better be considering what they paid. The Cafe Roubaix story. The Epic Wheel Works story. The number of other bullying tactic stories. The stealing Tom Ritcheys design and calling it the Stumpjumper. The fact that only Specialized can service your suspension, in the specified intervals, or else, warranty nonsense. Apples for apples, same exact spec vs same exact spec, the Spez will be more expensive than the other bike, don't care how many you own or how well you're doing. They aren't that much better that they should cost that much more. That said, their marketing dept must be leap years ahead to convince so many fools to part with their money. And no, I'm not jealous coz I don't have/cant afford one. There's an epic sworks in my garage.

Im not a fool, i buy the s-works for what it is, a race machine at its best. Why do we accept that a ferrari is expensive and thats the way it should be but cant afford the same to the S-works. Its expensive for a reason. :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good analogy. A Ferrari is fast for very obvious reasons. There are many, many, many technological marvels that get it to go fast and then be able to handle the speed. A bike has only so many components. Most of which are equal on most top end bikes. What you're left with is a very small margin to make a difference. There's magic there in how some manufacturers bring all the numbers, settings and options together to make a good or great or "fast" bike.

To say the Spez will be faster than a Vipa of equal build simply "because its a Spez" doesn't make sense.

What makes it so fast?

A lot of short travel duals can be bob free when stomping away at the pedals. But on most of those you have to dial out any form of trail manners to get that. The good ones manage to blend the two.

Which brings me back to the Ferrari. To buy one because it's fast around the Nürburgring just so you can get to do 120 on the N1 just like the guy in the GTI in front of you seems an awful waste of money. To buy one to lap the Nürburgring in the same times as a guy in souped-up Civic even more so.

It doesn't take much to equal or better speed in a straight line. Wheels and tyres a should get you 80-90% there.So what are you left with? Where do you make up the time? What are you left with? In the twisty bits or pedalling while standing? In the extra confidence a bike's geometry inspires? In the wise words of Ayrton Senna: " anyone can go fast in a straight line".

Lots of rambling, I know, but it comes down to this for me: I've ridden both and the Vipa offers a better blend and balance of an all round, all day, all trail bike. On an Epic it's not long before you wish you were on a bike that's just a bit slacker and more plush.

So back to my first comment. Decide what it is you want to do. But if there's trail and single track in there, there would be no doubt in my mind which one I would opt for.

Edited by The Crow

Spez Epic is a wannabee hardtail, and yes its damn fast, but the Vipa is the one I would go for, also a great race bike, but is more special than the Specialized.

Edited by Mr X

• 4 months later...

Epic all the way.

The new 2014 with the SWAT system lets you ride with no camelback or a jersey loaded with junk. Plus you get to carry two water bottles.

As for the bike itself, it rocks. The new geometry makes a huge difference to the handling. In my mind it's epic all the way.

Not a good analogy. A Ferrari is fast for very obvious reasons. There are many, many, many technological marvels that get it to go fast and then be able to handle the speed. A bike has only so many components. Most of which are equal on most top end bikes. What you're left with is a very small margin to make a difference. There's magic there in how some manufacturers bring all the numbers, settings and options together to make a good or great or "fast" bike.

To say the Spez will be faster than a Vipa of equal build simply "because its a Spez" doesn't make sense.

What makes it so fast?

A lot of short travel duals can be bob free when stomping away at the pedals. But on most of those you have to dial out any form of trail manners to get that. The good ones manage to blend the two.

Which brings me back to the Ferrari. To buy one because it's fast around the Nürburgring just so you can get to do 120 on the N1 just like the guy in the GTI in front of you seems an awful waste of money. To buy one to lap the Nürburgring in the same times as a guy in souped-up Civic even more so.

It doesn't take much to equal or better speed in a straight line. Wheels and tyres a should get you 80-90% there.So what are you left with? Where do you make up the time? What are you left with? In the twisty bits or pedalling while standing? In the extra confidence a bike's geometry inspires? In the wise words of Ayrton Senna: " anyone can go fast in a straight line".

Lots of rambling, I know, but it comes down to this for me: I've ridden both and the Vipa offers a better blend and balance of an all round, all day, all trail bike. On an Epic it's not long before you wish you were on a bike that's just a bit slacker and more plush.

So back to my first comment. Decide what it is you want to do. But if there's trail and single track in there, there would be no doubt in my mind which one I would opt for.

Prost rides spez, Senna rides into walls. Just saying.

uncalled for, and disrespectul. I'd klap you right now if you had said that in front of me

That comment made me twitch too.

The irony of that comment and your signature.

And the fact that he seems to have swallowed the Spez marketing machine hook, line and stinker.

Ah well, it takes all types...