EPIC COMP CARBON 2014 or Momsen VIPA?

Wasbeer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the way most guys on here seem to think there is only one style of MTBing... Marathon riding. Its multi day stage races or nothing

or am i just generalising??

Edited by CaneRat

Guest notmyname

Having ridden a Spez Epic back to back with my Vipa I'd say this.

If you intend to do pure marathon, jeep track kinda riding it's 50/50. Go with the one you fancy most. But if you're going to throw some trail and fun into the mix the Vipa is the one you're going to want to be on. It's steering and handling in tight stuff belies the fact that is of the bigger wheeled kind and Momsen / Morewood has performed a small miracle with 80mm's worth of rear wheel travel.

Then add the fact that you won't get stuck in propitiatory gear and ridiculously expensive replacement parts and you have yourself a win win win.

Epic titles holds no relevance as the one has been around for more than a decade (and still they tweak it just about every year), the other less than 12 months. And also because Epic titles hold no relevance.

educated opinion right here.

I love the way most guys on here seem to think there is only one style of MTBing... Marathon riding. Its multi day stage races or nothing

or am i just generalising??

By the numbers, they're right. But there's plenty of room for the rest of us too...

I'm highly annoyed with Specialized SA, their odd business model and lack of customer service. That said, their products, including their bikes, are excellent. I want to hate them but can't. Go with the Epic

Tell us more about that?

I am no expert on geometry. But the 2014 Epics are def a little bit more comfortable than the 2013. Thats why they have the standard and more racy World Cup versions in 2014. In 2013 I rather bought the Camber because it was more relaxed. But when I rode the 2014 Epic I was sold. That being said, Vipa is superb, but for R60 000 you can get a Epic with carbon wheels and xo groupset, where for R50 000 you get a Vipa with xt. Being a xo fan my choice is easy. Vipas are also becoming very very popular, seeing just as many of them if not more than Spez Epics these days. Edited by Johny Bravo

I am no expert on geometry. But the 2014 Epics are def a little bit more comfortable than the 2013. Thats why they have the standard and more racy World Cup ersions in 2014. In 2013 I rather bought the Camber because it was more relaxed. But when I rode the 2014 Epic I was sold. That being said, Vipa is superb, but for R60 000 you can get a Epic with carbon wheels and xo groupset, where for R50 000 you get a Vipa with xt. Being a xo fan my choice is easy. Vipas are also becoming very very popular, seeing just as many of them if not more than Spez Epics these days.
for 60k you can also get a vipa with X0 and carbon wheels... the Vipa comes as a frame only option as well, so you can pick what you want. Shimano fan or SRAM.

And edit: BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!! No way in hell, dude.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Spoke to someone at Complete Cyclist yesterday and he said that Specialized has confirmed that the 2015 geometry won't change for the Epic. There will be a few small tweaks, colour scheme changes and an increase in the price. So basically, you need to buy before the 2015 models get here in September.

for 60k you can also get a vipa with X0 and carbon wheels... the Vipa comes as a frame only option as well, so you can pick what you want. Shimano fan or SRAM.

And edit: BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!! No way in hell, dude.

Seriously. Come visit our side of the boerewors curtain. Remember there are many many more shops that sell Momsen than Spez. Very popular bikes. Edited by Johny Bravo

Seriously. Come our side of the boerewors curtain.

I do, of a time, and the Spazzes far outweigh the Vipas. You just see the vipa more often 'cos you lust after it so much, so you notice them more. They stand out of the spaztastic & giant crowd.

Enjoying every ride on my VIPA.

Considered the Spez but was put off by the hassle & cost of servicing that 'brain'. Also considered a Scott 910 - VIPA easily best value for money.