NicoBoshoff

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yea, 29ers are fast mkay...

Very :D

I had a lengthy discussion with a rider on Sunday about the merits of 29ers based on his preferences and riding style. A bike is a bike and trail is a trail. The two should meet regularly and lots of fun should be had by all.

CSA's site has so little info, including the 'more info PDF'. How many laps, elevation, start times etc.. these things are surely of interest? Should I have to google it?

Anyone want to take a guess why XCO is just bumbling along? This is Africa Champs, right?

Fully agree, not even a word on starting times or where the clothing kit can be collected

Aren't you glad the sport evolved?

A large number of riders have successfully dumbed themselves and the sport down to dirt roads thinking it's mountain biking. It isn't.

Come on, those are nonsensical statements. Marathon and stage events are as much mountain biking as anything else. They just present a different challenge, and over some incredibly tough terrain not just dirt roads.

But this is half the problem, manne trying to proclaim what 'mountain biking' actually is.

Technically the sport started with the Repack, which was downhill on a dirt road, but yes the sport evolved into a number of different disciplines and tech.

It's all MTB and you have a smile on your face and dirt on the tyres, then that's 'real'

Come on, those are nonsensical statements. Marathon and stage events are as much mountain biking as anything else. They just present a different challenge, and over some incredibly tough terrain not just dirt roads.

But this is half the problem, manne trying to proclaim what 'mountain biking' actually is.

Technically the sport started with the Repack, which was downhill on a dirt road, but yes the sport evolved into a number of different disciplines and tech.

It's all MTB and you have a smile on your face and dirt on the tyres, then that's 'real'

Fully agree with you. Selective quoting doesn't really help me here. Hehe

Well said dassie man...everyone is a legend in their own lunchtime. The housewife doing the 20km loop at northern farms, the lycra wearing guy doing 15 hour week's in prep for the epic on district roads to the gnarly spruit rat klapping jumps on a friday afternoon are ALL mountain bikers. It's for no-one to dictate how you should be having fun, people know when they are or not. The real kicker is that some are soooo worried about others discipline that, that becomes the most important thing to them.

If you are having a good time, with your tjommies....you are doing it right.

Well said.

Guest Omega Man

On the actual topic.

I "blame" (Term used very loosely) the demise of XCO on 4 things.

1. Apartheid. Bear with me here. During isolation due to our lack of exposure to international sport, things like the Comrades and the Dusi were huge newsworthy events and people like Bruce Fordyce were national hero's. This has carried over into Mountain Biking where endurance rather than skill is praiseworthy.

2. Geography. In Europe you can't easily ride a bike on dirt for 100km. Here you can. It's a similar situation in Aus and I speak under correction but XC marathon type events are big there too not so?

3. Land Owners. Only recently are land owners beginning to cotton on to the income potential provided by Mountain Biking so trail centers are only now starting to spring up. We're 10 years behind the UK when it comes to trail centers.

4. Race organizers. It's cheaper and easier to get permission from a farmer to ride the dirt roads over his land than building tech single track that might never be used again.

Disclaimer. This is not a diss of anyone, any event, political party or racial group. It's just my opinion.

Well said dassie man...everyone is a legend in their own lunchtime. The housewife doing the 20km loop at northern farms, the lycra wearing guy doing 15 hour week's in prep for the epic on district roads to the gnarly spruit rat klapping jumps on a friday afternoon are ALL mountain bikers. It's for no-one to dictate how you should be having fun, people know when they are or not. The real kicker is that some are soooo worried about others discipline that, that becomes the most important thing to them.

If you are having a good time, with your tjommies....you are doing it right.

You originally from Capetown dood :eek: so chilled .....

Its great to hear that there is someone out there actively working on trying to improve the situation...but what is a XC Marathon with XCO elements? They 2 are very different disciplines. Thats like saying you have 100m sprints in a 42km marathon.

XCO is not just about singletrack. Its a totally different type of fitness, skill set and race strategy.

I am not trying to say you not doing good (hell...you doing more than others!) but am interested in the concept.

What we have done is to include genuine cross country sections varying in distance from about 4 to 5km in our routes and also to vary the degree or level of difficulty of the sections to cater for different skill levels. We have manage to introduce , for example, at least 3 to 4 four of these per 50 to 60 km trail. The riders also have the option of just training on these specific sections to hone their skills. It has worked very well for us.