Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

What we have done is to include genuine cross country sections varying in distance from about 4 to 5km in our routes and also to vary the degree or level of difficulty of the sections to cater for different skill levels. We have manage to introduce , for example, at least 3 to 4 four of these per 50 to 60 km trail. The riders also have the option of just training on these specific sections to hone their skills. It has worked very well for us.

So it's a technical XC trail...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about you (actually, I know you share my sentiment but you know what I mean) but I ascribe "fun" to blasting down a technical section barely holding on far more than miles and miles of jeep track boredom.

I like both technical and jeep track rides. Here in Kimberley you get both, you do a race with miles and miles of jeep track. Then you climb a koppie with some single track and a lot of rocks and go downhill on the other side!

But, technical is better than jeep track (my opinion).

Edited by Super Sywurm

See it is cross country

There can be a bit of confusion with the term, I would think most marathon events are essentially 'cross country' in the sense that they cross the country, but in the competitive UCI sense the term is used to describe events that are shorter laps, intense racing of up to one and a half hours duration.

There can be a bit of confusion with the term, I would think most marathon events are essentially 'cross country' in the sense that they cross the country, but in the competitive UCI sense the term is used to describe events that are shorter laps, intense racing of up to one and a half hours duration.

That's why it's XCM and XCO.

I liked this tweet I saw on the weekend of the attakwas race, I think it is pertinent to this thread and very true.

post-41053-0-67706600-1390476120_thumb.jpg

The only thing I have to add is if you aren't racing the slammer on Saturday you better be watching! It is going to be a great days racing.

Edited by NitroDoni41

My experience of XCO is that it is by far the toughest form of the sport form a fitness and skills perspective but isnt high on the fun factor IMO. High speed, brutal climbs and usually some seriously sketchy descending. If you ain't fit or skilled you will hate it even more.

Marathon type funrides are easy for a reason - you can make far more money with mass participation events like this and the numbers make technical trails a problem. SA seems to be a world leader in this industry - we pay a fortune to "race" rather than just go and ride or explore on our own.

What if xc tracks were only 500 meters long, full of tech sections and jump/rhythm sections and the riders didnt wear lycra. Like 4x but more laps. Say 10 minute heats and a 15 minute final. Or six 30 minute heats and a 1 hour final. Top two riders from each heat go through. It could be called xc super twelve!

What if xc tracks were only 500 meters long, full of tech sections and jump/rhythm sections and the riders didnt wear lycra. Like 4x but more laps. Say 10 minute heats and a 15 minute final. Or six 30 minute heats and a 1 hour final. Top two riders from each heat go through. It could be called xc super twelve!

Thats pretty close to what XCE is now anyway ... just not the 30minute heats and hour final.

What you've described is pretty much XCE...

Well said dassie man...everyone is a legend in their own lunchtime. The housewife doing the 20km loop at northern farms, the lycra wearing guy doing 15 hour week's in prep for the epic on district roads to the gnarly spruit rat klapping jumps on a friday afternoon are ALL mountain bikers. It's for no-one to dictate how you should be having fun, people know when they are or not. The real kicker is that some are soooo worried about others discipline that, that becomes the most important thing to them.

If you are having a good time, with your tjommies....you are doing it right.

They'll NEVER let you ride All Mountain in lycra. You have to wear baggies for that... :ph34r:

It's because organisers are lazy and greedy.

Much easier to stick 1000 sheeple into a holding pen and then blast them off for 40 odd kays with a bit of bunting and signage here and there. XCO takes a lot more organisation and it's much more difficult to draw larger numbers of riders hence more difficult to make money.

Seriously though, in the "early days" they did use dirt roads (fire access roads if I recall) to do their "mountain biking" but if you go watch Klunkers you will also see that they made their own paths to get both up and down that mountain so it wasn't only reserved for dirt roads.

XCO has the potential to be bigger than Marathon and DHI. We just need a little more support of the events. Perhaps a few events with shorter race distances/less laps to encourage the people to give it a go. Also, we need the kids involved. It is, after all, an Olympic discipline!

Thats pretty close to what XCE is now anyway ... just not the 30minute heats and hour final.
What you've described is pretty much XCE...

Ha, I just prefer how you said it MH.. "Like*

sorry Nige.. :whistling: