Helmets optional?!

TheKaiser

I have notice this thing. It seems like it is 'back in fasion' to go without a helmet.

The other day I saw a family of 4 riding along, all accept dad had a helmet....ummmm...so who is going to look after the family if he is lying in hospital (or worse) due to some head injury....eish people.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the argument is very similar to why guys dont use condoms Slowbee.

I have to disagree there... Riding my bike with my helmet on still feels awesome... :whistling:

*RANT ON*

On Sunday moring as myself and a bunch headed back up suikerbossie from Camps Bay side, an elderly man (prob mid 60's) was coming down suikerbossie (from hout bay side) on a road bike, fully kitted out with NO helmet on...

I guess its his choice after all to ride without a helmet on as he will suffer the consequences if something goes wrong, but then i ask, what kind of example is he setting to younger riders and the kids out there??

*RANT OFF*

I passed him as well. It looks odd to see a guy so kitted out without a helmet.

Why should he be setting an example to anyone? And if he's made it to his mid-60s he probably knows what he's doing.

He did not strike me as a seasoned cycling veteran.

I have to disagree there... Riding my bike with my helmet on still feels awesome... :whistling:

I wear my helmet when having sex though.

Helmets optional?!

Why are we even discussing this? - Really !

OP's first post was a question about noticing an increase in riders not using a helmet.

So if helmet promotion/law has the effect of causing cycling to fall, this has the unintended effect of decreasing the safety of cyclists on the road.

Interesting argument, the flaw for me in that statement is that in this context "safety" only refers to motorists hitting cyclists.

What about accidents not involving other cars, nor is there any mention on the effect on the severity of crashes, only the incidence of accidents.

What still grates me the most are parents who send their kids to school on bikes in peak traffic with no lids, and the schools that allow kids to pitch up without lids. Adults without helmets i couldn't care less about they have been depriving this planet of oxygen and food sources long enough.

Went for a spin around the complex I live in just now after changing the grips on the mtb, no helmet and doing a few wheelies and playing around I felt very naked and exposed without my helmet on, especially when I almost went over backwards doing a wheelie!!

Those that think a helmet does not help must be a little retarded, its common sense it will help. Like if I said I'm hitting you on the head with a 10-pound hammer, would you like to wear a helmet or not?

The helmet deniers always bring up these big studies and statistics and it normally boils down to enforcing a helmet law means less cyclists on the road as the "uncool" factor persuades many to not cycle and then the odds of motorists being aware of cyclists becomes less and then the ratio of cyclists injured to the amount of cyclists as a whole becomes bigger as the pool of cyclists becomes smaller.

Ok fair but the fact that head butting a light pole without a helmet on hurts enormously more than with one on remains constant....

Edited by Skylark

Take your bike for a cruise along the sea point promenade without your helmet on and tell me it doesn't feel flippin' lekker.

Sadly, that's probably about the only place it's safe to do it...

Why should he be setting an example to anyone? And if he's made it to his mid-60s he probably knows what he's doing.

No matter if hes been cycling for 80 years and knows what he is doing, if a guy infront of him goes down or someone clips him from behind, hes gonna get seriously hurt no matter how many years on the bike he has under his belt...

I'm not trying to start an argument, just stated that he was someone i saw on the weekend fully kit without a helmet on! His choice to ride without 1 on i guess, reckless in MY opinion....

That is all...