2014 Dischem ride for sight.

Jeri

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very fast and flat. Too fast almost, after last year I swore never to do this race again. There are some places where they take you through narrow country roads with lots of trucks. I witnessed 4 accidents last year, one of which I was involved in. Am not keen to crash this close to the Argus, having said that....... yes I have entered again anyways.

Ditto. I had a bad fall last year after some genius decided to cut accross a pack going at 50kph to grab a water sachet... back for more anyway... (its a great race and idiots will be idiots)

Ditto. I had a bad fall last year after some genius decided to cut accross a pack going at 50kph to grab a water sachet... back for more anyway... (its a great race and idiots will be idiots)

A person that does that better hope I can't get up after such a fall because he will feel my pain.

Some people get real dof when they start riding.

my buddy got taken out by a car last year(white toyota) about 10 ks from the finish ... flipped right over the roof into the veld... he was ok(bike not so much)... but im back too :cursing:

Hoping to actually ride this year... missed the last two due to flu (2012) and dislocated AC joint (2013).

Also said I won't be back due to 2 incidents when cl caught bl at the nice downhill before climbing to the small restaurant on the left hand side. 1 cause by a touch of wheels doing 55kmph 2m to my left and hearing carbon break and the other by oncoming traffic almost 500m after the 1st one.

But back again this year. Like the distance. Just keep in the 1st 10 positions and all should be ok. I hope

Edited by Zatek

A few years back, VC (40-44's) caught VB (35-39's) at the top of the steps - very embarrassing so close after the start. Both groups stayed together until just before the reserve, despite the commissaire's efforts to neutralise the VB's - there's no way I was going to drop back and get dropped by the other VB's that refused to listen to the officials, unless they threatened a DQ.

A few years back, VC (40-44's) caught VB (35-39's) at the top of the steps - very embarrassing so close after the start. Both groups stayed together until just before the reserve, despite the commissaire's efforts to neutralise the VB's - there's no way I was going to drop back and get dropped by the other VB's that refused to listen to the officials, unless they threatened a DQ.
two years ago BL caught the 50+ men and the elite ladies. Mega bunch going down the steps was absolutely terrifying.

Lots of "get out of our bunch" between the ladies (BL startwd 8 minutes after them!) and the others, with only one lonely commisaire in a bakkie.... Eventually the ladies neutralised their own race on the final climb out Heidelberg to let the rest go.

Scary fast race... still my highest avg speed for a race, and then it is the longest one of all of them ....

Back as well ;)

Entered for my first one, but all this scary talk now has me shivering a bit! Sounds more like the last one standing wins……

I started in AL last year and punctured 15km into the race. By the time I got back on the road I joined a group of VC riders. We eventually caught up to the elite ladies.

It was an eye-opener watching them ride. We easily overtook them on a flat section, and thought they were spent. As soon as we hit a slight incline they came shooting past us like we were on a recovery ride. As soon they were over the incline, the ladies would again slow down to a crawl, and we'd overtake them...until the next hill.

That's when I realised that the elites are playing to win...not to post good times!

(Slightly off-topic, I know, but interesting nonetheless :D )

Also said I won't be back due to 2 incidents when cl caught bl at the nice downhill before climbing to the small restaurant on the left hand side. 1 cause by a touch of wheels doing 55kmph 2m to my left and hearing carbon break and the other by oncoming traffic almost 500m after the 1st one.

But back again this year. Like the distance. Just keep in the 1st 10 positions and all should be ok. I hope

Agree 1000%, keep is the 1st 10, and all SHOULD be ok. Will check my Cyclesure insurance, just to be certain!

I started in AL last year and punctured 15km into the race. By the time I got back on the road I joined a group of VC riders. We eventually caught up to the elite ladies.

It was an eye-opener watching them ride. We easily overtook them on a flat section, and thought they were spent. As soon as we hit a slight incline they came shooting past us like we were on a recovery ride. As soon they were over the incline, the ladies would again slow down to a crawl, and we'd overtake them...until the next hill.

That's when I realised that the elites are playing to win...not to post good times!

(Slightly off-topic, I know, but interesting nonetheless :D )

Few years back there was a race in Edenvale, i was seeded BL and we caught the ladies about half way into the race and as we were overtaking them someone chirped about "boep pens ooms and tannies catching them" next thing they they put foot and left us eating their dirt.

did my first one last year, first 60 km was fast but I was at the back of the group, when the climbs started got dropped and suffered the rest of the way, think it was a 3:30, I will have my revenge this year