Tool Kits

rkeetsa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A DIY bike stand can be done in your garage, by looping rope (or tie downs or whatever really) through the rafters and under the saddle and behind the fork crown. Not the best, a proper stand is much much better, but okay if you're looking to do some work right now.

Ala:

post-29877-0-67373200-1393187092_thumb.jpgpost-29877-0-66748200-1393187121_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I know my garage is messy. I have subsequently cleaned it up. :thumbup:

Edited by TopFuel

These are good enough. Add something to put your total over a R1000 and you get free postage.

http://www.cwcycles....-pronto-toolbox

Agreed, this toolkit has a good range of starter tools on which you can build your collection. Next from here for me was:

• Campagnolo cassette tool
  • Torque wrench
  • Cable cutters

Thanks for all the input, will definitely build onto what i already have. Any suggestions where to buy cycling tools at a decent price?

In Pta, shop around!!!! Bruce-cycles has decent tools but they're pretty pricey!! Solomons (on lynnwood) has fairly cheap tools, I got a chainwhip from them for under R100 and it works like a charm!!! And things like allen keys, go to Midas, you can get a pretty cool set for around R80

Edited by Letum911

I actually baught myself the Parktool T handle set and the smaller GOOD (X-Tool) quality allen wrenches,

Depending how you bike is shaped the park tools does not always fit into some spots.

When buying Allen wrenches and the hex design, spend good money, buy good quality, a low quality tool just stuffs up a bolt/not.

G

Handy but not as hand friendly as the Parktool allen key set.

They also have the ball ends to allow you to work at otherwise difficult angles.

You have way more leverage with that handle and you dont feel manhandled when finished working with them!

:D

Edited by awesme

I'm yet to find a good quality, won't strip or deform allen key or hex at a Macro or Builders.

Spend the money, you won't regret not stripping a Allen key or hex head.

G

Yes Tankman Parktool kit if kool, and its handy to have them all lined up and ready for action, my point is really for the DIY bike maintenance beginner no need to over capitalise and get fancy Pro tools, basic but decent quality tool sets that you can get at Builders, Makro etc will do fine,

That parktool PH1 hex key set set lists on CRC at R900+ (ex VAT) thats about the OP's entire budget

I actually baught myself the Parktool T handle set and the smaller GOOD (X-Tool) quality allen wrenches,

Depending how you bike is shaped the park tools does not always fit into some spots.

When buying Allen wrenches and the hex design, spend good money, buy good quality, a low quality tool just stuffs up a bolt/not.

G

I managed to round off a bolt on my crank and it took some patience and a small cold chisel to get that out without any damage! The cheap ones dont last long at all and cause more trouble than they are worth.

hehehe

was trying to figure out how that bike is off the ground, just floating there, no sign of a wall mount bracket, eventually saw the straps.

G

A DIY bike stand can be done in your garage, by looping rope (or tie downs or whatever really) through the rafters and under the saddle and behind the fork crown. Not the best, a proper stand is much much better, but okay if you're looking to do some work right now.

Ala:

post-29877-0-67373200-1393187092_thumb.jpgpost-29877-0-66748200-1393187121_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I know my garage is messy. I have subsequently cleaned it up. :thumbup:

For cycling specific tools I use park tool.

I am not a fan of tool kits, rather buy specific tools as you start to need them. A good start in bike maintenance is chain, cassette and shifter cable removal and installation. For this you will need hex keys, cable cutter, crimping tool, cassette lockring tool and a chain whip. Once you have mastered these, you can start getting specific tools for your hubs and BB and expand your work to those parts. Before you know it, you will be able to build up an entire bike in an hour or two.

For normal tools used in bicycle maintenance there are many other value for money non-cycling-brands out there which are far better priced.

I use:

VERA screw drivers

AMF hex keys

AMF torx keys

TA wire rope cutter (R95 from Toolquip & Allied - looks exactly like Pedros cable cutter, and works great)

Stainless steel imperial and metric ruler

Mitutoyo metric vernier

A few pin punches - for removal of suspension pivot bearings

Motorcycle tyre lever - for removal of fork seals

Strap wrench - for removal of shock air can

And remember tools are useless if you do not apply the correct lubricant or anti-seize compound before fitting the parts.

Lubricants I use:

Spanjaard rubber grease (for suspension)

Spanjaard 2X grease (bearings)

Spanjaard copper compound ( copper slip - for creaky interfaces and threads)

Edited by Brian Fantana

I'm yet to find a good quality, won't strip or deform allen key or hex at a Macro or Builders.

Spend the money, you won't regret not stripping a Allen key or hex head.

G

You get that Stanley hex key set I mentioned at the mass marts, also Gedore tools (good) but also cheap junk

Look at CWC for IceToolz equipment. They relatively cheap and I've found of a fairly good quality. Got there cassette removal tool, cone wrench and cable cutters.

Also look at the DIY tools thread on the Hub, you can make a decent cheap whip, with an old chain, and some steal.