Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Did they indicate or just cut me off?

If they indicated, no stress.

If no indicator and they didn't say sorry after the first hoot then,

D: Hoot repeatedly and show them a hand gesture.

If the hand gesture is returned to me then try overtake them and cut them off and slam on brakes, therefore if they hit the back of me it is all their fault.

Ah see in that case I'm sure it would be your fault. The accident resulted from an intentional act on your part

And me = I'd do number b. And report it.

Edit - sorry, I'd do a as well

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More understandable, yes. But an understanding of what set them off does not mean that their actions or in this case retribution was justifiable or right.

For example - I can see why someone may want to kill someone schtoeping their wife. But it doesn't mean that my understanding the reasons behind it make it an acceptable action or response to the initial problem

Video footage?

Ah see in that case I'm sure it would be your fault. The accident resulted from an intentional act on your part

And me = I'd do number b. And report it.

See, there was actually a cat that ran across the road, pity there is no video footage.

If it was company car I would do A + a hand gesture and then report.

Did they indicate or just cut me off?

If they indicated, no stress.

If no indicator and they didn't say sorry after the first hoot then,

D: Hoot repeatedly and show them a hand gesture.

If the hand gesture is returned to me then try overtake them and cut them off and slam on brakes, therefore if they hit the back of me it is all their fault.

Are you really this much of an idiot away from a keyboard?

I am going to assume you are joking here because the actions you describe there are those of an uncontrollable idiot that should be locked away for his own safety and for the safety and peace of mind of all that come into contact with you. If you act the way you describe you need to be put somewhere where the residents arent allowed shoelaces, belts, anything pointy and get to write with crayons if they have been good that day.

Various websites have that spot of thing for you to see

I normally have lame attempts at humour.. Apologies .I'm out of here. See you guys in CT tomorrow.

Something just struck me. The kids that were with, to some it was a traumatic experience. What about those poor kids. I pray that they find peace in their experience and try to move past it.

The kids was the thing what struck me as well:

How calm they are in a situation like that, ready to move in behind the leaders when things open up - as if they are used to it. Even joined with the pepper spraying.

My line of thought was that what must they had seen before to make them so casual about it here. I pray that they find some mentors that can demonstrate social acceptable behaviour, otherwise we are doomed.

So only two are willing to put their hands up and fall on the sword, pffft how brave are all of them now that they are outnumbered.

I normally have lame attempts at humour.. Apologies .I'm out of here. See you guys in CT tomorrow.

Lol.

Google search does wonders, mate..

And dude - I was humouring your humour!

The two cyclists who allegedly assaulted a motorist in Sea Point have been chargedhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png and are appearing in court on Wednesday.

And the pairhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png have been banned from Sunday’s Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour.

Policehttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png spokesman FC van Wyk said on Wednesday morning: “Two men, Faizel Hendricks, 39, and Mogammed Solomon, 29, were arrested at Sea Point SAPS for common assault and malicious damage to property.”

Van Wyk disclosed they were seeking a third suspect.

The pair remained in custody from midday on Tuesday until 2.30am, when they were released on a police warning of R500 each.

They were due to appear in Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

Pedal Power Association chairman Steve Hayward told the Cape Argus on Wednesday: “We have checked pair’s names and they are members of the PPA.

“We have pulled their names from the Tour,” he said.

“Action will certainly also be taken against any further cyclists who may have been involved.”

On Tuesday the driver, Cape Town student Ibrahim Waggie, spoke exclusivelyhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png to the Cape Argus about being attacked by cyclists – an incident which went viral on social media.

Waggie, 19, had been assisting as a volunteer at a charity event, the Sunshine D Polar Ice Creamhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png10km Big Walk, on Sunday.

His job was to drive a Toyota Quantum van, sponsored by Market Toyota, which tailed the field. The fellow volunteers in his van were tasked with picking up empty water sachets which had been abandoned by walkers along the route.

After stopping at a red traffic light, he was allegedly assaulted by cyclists he had overtaken – with fists, a bicycle and pepper spray.

The perpetrators also allegedly damaged the van.

They were later identified as members of the Muhammedeyah Cycling Club on a training ride.

Just a legal question...

Since this video clip was taken by the driver of the vehicle with his cellphone whilst driving, is this not illegal in itself. Is this evidence then not deemed null and void in a court of law?

No.

So they judge other people and form an opinion, much like you just did?

And yet there you sit judging others who claim to hold a sort of moral high ground...

Ofcourse ..that's what we do here in hubland....we judge, classify people as savages, thugs etc..we want to close down the club ...not cool. :thumbdown:

Here's a hypothetical scenario for those of you still committed to this thread.

Straight up. What would be your response if the cycling mates you have are out on a ride with you and your bunch is say 20 strong. You're doing final prep for your full effort at a fast race. It's the weekend before and you're riding a recce race pace effort on the course. You enter the final 10 km stretch and start upping the pace. A Toyota Quantum carrying a bunch of kids starts hooting behind you as you cycle through a single lane road on your approach towards a section of road that becomes a dual carriage piece. It is not safe for the van to overtake your group as the road is too narrow for him to get by safely even if you ride in single file. For safety reasons you choose not to and remove the option for him to try. You're happily cruising along at a similar speed to motorized traffic along the stretch anyway. The van keeps hooting and the driver and his cohorts are hurling abuse at being held up. You enter the dual carriage piece traveling at close to the speed limit for vehicular traffic in the left lane and the van pulls alongside on your right. The side door opens and a bunch of teenagers start throwing water bombs at you from point blank range. Expletives are exchanged and then the driver decides to show your group what he thinks about being held up by squeezing the group as he begins to deliberately veer left into your group and then completely brake checks you with his abs equipped vehicle, putting your entire cycle group into PROPER danger. Who here climbs off their bike and calmly proceeds to have a civil discussion with the driver and his cronies about the situation at this point??

Here's a hypothetical scenario for those of you still committed to this thread.

Straight up. What would be your response if the cycling mates you have are out on a ride with you and your bunch is say 20 strong. You're doing final prep for your full effort at a fast race. It's the weekend before and you're riding a recce race pace effort on the course. You enter the final 10 km stretch and start upping the pace. A Toyota Quantum carrying a bunch of kids starts hooting behind you as you cycle through a single lane road on your approach towards a section of road that becomes a dual carriage piece. It is not safe for the van to overtake your group as the road is too narrow for him to get by safely even if you ride in single file. For safety reasons you choose not to and remove the option for him to try. You're happily cruising along at a similar speed to motorized traffic along the stretch anyway. The van keeps hooting and the driver and his cohorts are hurling abuse at being held up. You enter the dual carriage piece traveling at close to the speed limit for vehicular traffic in the left lane and the van pulls alongside on your right. The side door opens and a bunch of teenagers start throwing water bombs at you from point blank range. Expletives are exchanged and then the driver decides to show your group what he thinks about being held up by squeezing the group as he begins to deliberately veer left into your group and then completely brake checks you with his abs equipped vehicle, putting your entire cycle group into PROPER danger. Who here climbs off their bike and calmly proceeds to have a civil discussion with the driver and his cronies about the situation at this point??

I would think to myself 'what kind of an idiot cycles along a route where they are hosting a run, couldn't they pick a different route'

I would think to myself 'what kind of an idiot cycles along a route where they are hosting a run, couldn't they pick a different route'

Last year on one of my early sun morn rides, i came across runners running a race. I stayed with them for about 10 min until i could reroute. So ja, while I was riding there I was uncomfortable as I was alongside guys running for time and I didnt want to spoil it for them

Probably

But its being dealt with by the police and the cycling body and the cycling club, so no need for us to worry.

They appear in court shortly, so more stories will come out there.

This is going to be more interesting than the Oscar Trial do you think they can dedicate a channel to it on Supersport?