Multigrade engine oil as chain lube?

cathmtb

Hi all

My local bike shop suggested i use engine oil as lube for my mountain bike instead of buying lube. He says he has been using it for years as its much cheaper. he said i must only put a drop on every second link. Any objections to this?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's thicker than bike lube and all dirt sticks to it.

I used it a few times in an emergency but wouldn't use it daily.

Not sure why he told you only every second link?Think he want's you to wreck the components to make a sale to you.

No objection...... works like a charm..

I'v gone full circle with chain lubes... Wax/dry lubes are clean, but wax builds up in the cassette. thick wet lubes are messy......

Motor oil is a little thinner then the "wet lubes", so it is a bit easier to clean your bike and i believe offers the bets lube for your chain.... and hence chain life..

I use gear oil, supposed to be a 'heavier' oil? I dont know, but I do know that its around R40 for 500ml compared to about R100+ for a small bottle of squirt I used to use. Thats a considerable saving when you are cleaning chains on 3 bikes quite often! I had a litre left over from a gearbox service so I might as well use it!

I clean my chains after every ride and remove the chain for a thorough cleaning after every 3-5 rides (depending on the riding conditions). I add one drop (i used an old Q20 drip bottle) to every roller, spin the cranks about 20 times and wipe off the excess. No issues so far....

Manual Gearbox oil mixed 50/50 with Engine oil gives the best chain lube from my experiments but straight engine oil works fine. Try find an old eye dropper bottle or lube bottle because thats actaully the biggest challenge as you need a nice receptacle for applying it evenly to your chain with minimum mess.

As per JB's tip, I use engine oil (Castrol synthetic, because I got it for free), 1 drop per link, applied using a matchstick. One container should last a lifetime.

It's thicker than bike lube and all dirt sticks to it.

I used it a few times in an emergency but wouldn't use it daily.

Not sure why he told you only every second link?Think he want's you to wreck the components to make a sale to you.

The every second link part is because the oil will travel along the inside of the inner plates and lubricate the alternate rollers. Half a drop of oil per roller is plenty, and means that there won't be as much oil on the side plates and rollers for dust and muck to stick to.

For best chain life on a MTB you've got to take the chain off and wash it every few rides anyway, so dry lube vs. wet lube won't make that much of a difference anyway. The main trick is not to relube the chain in between washes as this carries the dirt from the rollers into the bushings, which causes wear.

So yes, motor oil works, but you have to do it right.

ahhh good ol lube thread to start the week with...

For me a lube needs to

1.Extend the drivetrain's life over not using lube at all...so it must wait for it...lubricate

2.Keep the drivetrain quiet...I hate squeeky / screaming bikes

3.Last a minimum of 100km in dry conditions, I don't want to carry extra lube and have to re-apply

4.Easy to clean off the drivetrain and chain to re-apply and not make a mess of the frame due to splatter

For me, only two lubes do the above...

R&R Blue and spokeworks lube...have tried them all and will only go with those two. Choose according to what you want from it.

As per JB's tip, I use engine oil (Castrol synthetic, because I got it for free), 1 drop per link, applied using a matchstick. One container should last a lifetime.

As the man says. Have done it for years and many miles. Not a problem. Just do it.

Big trick is to use sparingly and wipe clean/dry after application.

rouxtjie going for the bone - go boy go!

Motor oil is great!

BUT yes BUT - clean your chain regularly. (You should take your chain off and wash it - THEN oil)

If you oil a very dirty chain the dirt "flows" into the links with the oil - BAD news.

rouxtjie going for the bone - go boy go!

Motor oil is great!

BUT yes BUT - clean your chain regularly. (You should take your chain off and wash it - THEN oil)

If you oil a very dirty chain the dirt "flows" into the links with the oil - BAD news.

hahahha no no no, just laying my bait out there...someone will respond soon I guess about snakeoil this and wasting money that. I like those two lubes cause they deliver on their promise...if castrol gtx work for you, go for it. It doesn't for me.

My daily MTB routine:

1) wash chain with degreaser

2) Wipe clean and dry

3) Dip whole chain into tub filled with gear box oil

4) Wash bike drive train while chain absorbs oil

5) Pick up dripping chain, and wipe excess oil off back into tub

6) Place on bike

7) Give another wipe to remove excess oil

A 5L has lasted since last year around July doing this around 4 - 5 times a week. I ride in all kinds of dirt.

Chain is always well lubed for me.

I use engine oil on my chain, works a charm.

I havent washed my bike in the last 3 rides after the last application and only this weekend did I need to put some oil on when we stopped for beers 11km from the end.

Chain never gets dirty as I dont apply it like a cosatu labourer and leave it like that.

If you do put too much on, wipe the excess off

Just out of interest you diligent mtb riders that clean and lube your chain before virtually every ride, how much mileage do you get out of your drive train?

I try clean my chain/drive train about once every a month or so but I keep it well lubed up in between which it seems is not the thing to do and I get approx 3000km a drivetrain, which seems not to bad?

Just out of interest you diligent mtb riders that clean and lube your chain before virtually every ride, how much mileage do you get out of your drive train?

I try clean my chain/drive train about once every a month or so but I keep it well lubed up in between which it seems is not the thing to do and I get approx 3000km a drivetrain, which seems not to bad?

I cycle between 3 chains... Once they are done, the cassette is normally also finished....so wouldn't know....guessing about 7000-8000km on 3 chain combo and single cassette.