Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Just for interest sake, what is the max speed you guys recorded?

I normally get into the mid 80's on the 94.7 but this year my max was only 79.1km/h

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be grateful. the reason for your "LL" start group is because they were late with starting some of the batches.

Group C was amalgamated with Group D and some C groupers got a discount of 4min. Further back Group EE was still in the starting blocks by the time Group FF were suppose to start and hence everyone round there had an additional 5-6min added to their time but it still registered as if you started in your correct group. so to combat this lateness they say you started in LL to give you a move accurate time as your individual time doesn't start when you cross the matt but when your group gets sent on their merry way.

So that must be the reason i missed my sub 3h by 31seconds .I started right at the back of the enormous D batch .The first riders were on the righthand hill already when i crossed the mat .

Top speed 82.1kmh, also past the Zoo. I didn't realize at the time, probably just as well because I would have k@kked myself.

Overall it was a good day out. I found the new route quite a bit tougher than the previous route though. That first climb had me doubting myself because my legs were burning and I was gasping for air.

From there A bunch were fairly well behaved until Joe Slovo where things got a bit heated and stayed that way until the end. Managed to hold onto the front bunch until the first climb inside Steyn City and then I popped in a bad way and licked my wounds all the way to the finish.

Some very dangerous descents, as a few have already said, something needs to be done on Homestead, every year it seems that there are accidents on that stretch. The speed bumps inside Steyn City are also very dangerous, I remember hitting the first few and thinking the poor back markers are going to battle with them.

No real gripes with the organization, except that they are going to have to rethink the access to the venue.

See you all again next year, maybe for two laps next time.

Yip, since I learnt that they do gun to mat and not mat to mat, I start my timer on the gun. It's safer, and the difference between my time and the racetec time is always less than 5 sec.

how does it work for those that start out of their batches?

i waited for my wife and started in AA not N as i was supposed to, does my start time begin with the gun for my batch then? surely not or i would have had an extra hour and a bit on my time over my wife, we both crossed the mats together and our times are almost identical.

perhaps i am just not understanding the workings for the timing properly.

how does it work for those that start out of their batches?

You are supposed to get the time of the batch you started in (not the one where you were seeded in)

I also dropped back many batches and my time is correct.

Archived