Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traffic off the N14 was fine when I went through at 5am. The moaners should wake up earlier.

Took 15 mins from the N14 Offramp to my parking spot, no issues at all.

It's a good venue, and I liked the new route as well. Everyone who was going on about 500m of extra climbing was worrying about nothing, it was 200 extra, so bugger all really.

Still got my sub 3, so all is good with the venue and the route imo.

When I left before 10:00 there was about 10km of traffic into the venue!! N14 standing dead still. Many people will struggle to make the M1 cutoff time.

1333 climbing on my Garmin (it has been shown to be a bit erratic).

Lost my group at 3km. Felt OK but I realise that age is creeping up on me. Very average time. 2:52 ish.

At least I cycled I cycled with the LEGEND for 10 min.!! The cavalcade was very erratic and edgy. I think everybody wanted to see her.

I expect lots of unhappiness re the traffic but for me the route was an improvement.

Started near back of batch B, and at start a group broke away, tried to chase them down for 15mins (197bpm average!) with 2 wheel sucker who wouldn't help, just couldn't catch them so sat up and formed a new group.

Bunch of lazies on the highway :)

Managed to push a bit up Cedar and that bladdy hill in Steyn City. But paid for the for it after burning everything at start.

Happy with 2h47

Edited by Patchelicious

Starting in E batch, I found the 20km odd to the highway two-paced, not to mention the highway section. Guys were not prepared to work upfront compared to last year. It felt like there was a decent headwind on the highway however, blowing from the front left shoulder.

Once we hit Joe Slovo the group pretty much disintegrated and until Witkoppen, it was a case of jumping between clusters of riders. 

I approached the parking from Zinnia Rd and had absolutely no problems. I was there however nice and early as we did a car share and had an early starter.

Course:

Testing but good! 1402m of climbing over the 94km. Finished in 2h46min01sec. 

She is tiny in real life. I find it hard to believe she weighs 58kg! I eavesdropped part of her post race interview. She seems really nice.

Great event , I registered 1452 meters of elevation...was kind of holding back anticipating closer to 1800 meters of elevation.... Anyway, went well ,had a pit break halfway and chain came off on that hill in stein city but all good.

Bmwfan , good to see you , hard luck with yr mechanical failure

Great event , I registered 1452 meters of elevation...was kind of holding back anticipating closer to 1800 meters of elevation.... Anyway, went well ,had a pit break halfway and chain came off on that hill in stein city but all good.

Bmwfan , good to see you , hard luck with yr mechanical failure an awesome for finishing

Edited by IceCreamMan

Managed a 2.52 from E but people wasn't prepared to work together. Did a couple of turns in front but help wasn't there even when a lady started to pull the group.

According to me the race was easier than last year.

Managed an average 02h48 from VC , having had flu this week and working 3 days standing at the expo I am  happy with the time , lost the vets up joe slovo .Heart rate was to high : :eek:

Found it rather hilly.

B2iyQljIIAAbrWJ.jpg

Saw her on the podium at least, MC could have given her more of a Big Up. And it was me and about two others clapping, tried to ululate but was feeling a bit roff after all those silly last hills.

Edited by kosmonooit

Being stuck in the traffic on the N14, I passed the wheel to my girlfriend and hopped on my bike to the starting line. A nice 8.5km warm up just to be in time for my starting group K (with only 15 seconds to spare before starting). I later found out she only reached the parking at 8am, after we left Pretoria at 5am.

Ignoring the traffic part of the morning,  I loved the new venue. I loved the new route even more, managed to shake of 24min from last years time. More than enough hydration points and lots of support. The extra climbing got to me only at SteynCity, but i just have to train harder next year then...

Great event!