Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Great event , I registered 1452 meters of elevation...was kind of holding back anticipating closer to 1800 meters of elevation.... Anyway, went well ,had a pit break halfway and chain came off on that hill in stein city but all good.

Bmwfan , good to see you , hard luck with yr mechanical failure an awesome for finishing

CRY Cry ... limp ...limp 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed a 2.52 from E but people wasn't prepared to work together. Did a couple of turns in front but help wasn't there even when a lady started to pull the group.

According to me the race was easier than last year.

Totally agree having started in E myself. I tried lifting the pace at heartbreak hill, M2 after Joe slovo and eventually gave up and went it alone. The M1 was quite slow and I started wondering whether we'd break 3 hours at one point.

Was the route easier? I don't think so.

My Club had an issue with me dropping from A to D , The whole thing about trusting your training etc (meh)... Anyway, bravely started in A, I felt totally race ready... Nice and early , all set ... Damn that A bunch popped me off in a heartbeat, 190 heartrate and my max is 183... 6km mark, B bunch catches me... Hang on for dear life but still not recovering enough. 15km later C catches me(Cramping like hell already)  and D just before Joe Slovo... I was on the extreme left and almost got taken out by a guy passing on my left then switching and touching my front wheel(twice)... double heartattack ... thinking of bailing big time but wife was still asleep. back on the bike .Start getting comfy and picking up pace 70 km mark , I'm alone on the extreme left to grab a water pouch ... Out of the blue i get hit from behind , so Hard i fly over the bars and hit the deck. scrapes and bruises and rear deraileur through the wheel. Ipanelbeat and get going after some patch up but DI2 deraileur is buggered, stuck on 11 ring... needless to say i K@kked from there on ... mechanic gets it onto a 23 and I limp to the finish(Curse that bloody steyn City Drag ...  final time 3h48  :wacko:

Kudos for your achievements Guys... some impressive times  :thumbup:

My Club had an issue with me dropping from A to D , The whole thing about trusting your training etc (meh)... Anyway, bravely started in A, I felt totally race ready... Nice and early , all set ... Damn that A bunch popped me off in a heartbeat, 190 heartrate and my max is 183... 6km mark, B bunch catches me... Hang on for dear life but still not recovering enough. 15km later C catches me(Cramping like hell already) and D just before Joe Slovo... I was on the extreme left and almost got taken out by a guy passing on my left then switching and touching my front wheel(twice)... double heartattack ... thinking of bailing big time but wife was still asleep. back on the bike .Start getting comfy and picking up pace 70 km mark , I'm alone on the extreme left to grab a water pouch ... Out of the blue i get hit from behind , so Hard i fly over the bars and hit the deck. scrapes and bruises and rear deraileur through the wheel. Ipanelbeat and get going after some patch up but DI2 deraileur is buggered, stuck on 11 ring... needless to say i K@kked from there on ... mechanic gets it onto a 23 and I limp to the finish(Curse that bloody steyn City Drag ... final time 3h48 :wacko:

Kudos for your achievements Guys... some impressive times :thumbup:

I rode around one of your club mates for most of the race. Nice man. He must have done about 2:53.

Tough Luck mate! What doesn't kill you...

Edited by TALUS

My Club had an issue with me dropping from A to D , The whole thing about trusting your training etc (meh)... Anyway, bravely started in A, I felt totally race ready... Nice and early , all set ... Damn that A bunch popped me off in a heartbeat, 190 heartrate and my max is 183... 6km mark, B bunch catches me... Hang on for dear life but still not recovering enough. 15km later C catches me(Cramping like hell already)  and D just before Joe Slovo... I was on the extreme left and almost got taken out by a guy passing on my left then switching and touching my front wheel(twice)... double heartattack ... thinking of bailing big time but wife was still asleep. back on the bike .Start getting comfy and picking up pace 70 km mark , I'm alone on the extreme left to grab a water pouch ... Out of the blue i get hit from behind , so Hard i fly over the bars and hit the deck. scrapes and bruises and rear deraileur through the wheel. Ipanelbeat and get going after some patch up but DI2 deraileur is buggered, stuck on 11 ring... needless to say i K@kked from there on ... mechanic gets it onto a 23 and I limp to the finish(Curse that bloody steyn City Drag ...  final time 3h48  :wacko:

Hell brother. Morning would have been better spent in bed.

On the bright side, you didn't leave the race in an ambulance...

When I left the venue and cycled back to Leaping Frog, 4 ambulances passed me. Not lekker.

Better luck next year, bud.

Kakked off myself and limped home in 3h12. Putting it down to next to no training.

I'll be back...

Single speed not all it's cracked up to be eh? Well done for finishing!

I rode around one of your club mates for most of the race. Nice man. He must have done about 2:53.

Tough Luck mate! What doesn't kill you...

Tall Guy on a Propel, Its Ary... He is on the chat . well done !

My Club had an issue with me dropping from A to D , The whole thing about trusting your training etc (meh)... Anyway, bravely started in A, I felt totally race ready... Nice and early , all set ... Damn that A bunch popped me off in a heartbeat, 190 heartrate and my max is 183... 6km mark, B bunch catches me... Hang on for dear life but still not recovering enough. 15km later C catches me(Cramping like hell already) and D just before Joe Slovo... I was on the extreme left and almost got taken out by a guy passing on my left then switching and touching my front wheel(twice)... double heartattack ... thinking of bailing big time but wife was still asleep. back on the bike .Start getting comfy and picking up pace 70 km mark , I'm alone on the extreme left to grab a water pouch ... Out of the blue i get hit from behind , so Hard i fly over the bars and hit the deck. scrapes and bruises and rear deraileur through the wheel. Ipanelbeat and get going after some patch up but DI2 deraileur is buggered, stuck on 11 ring... needless to say i K@kked from there on ... mechanic gets it onto a 23 and I limp to the finish(Curse that bloody steyn City Drag ... final time 3h48 :wacko:

Kudos for your achievements Guys... some impressive times [emoji106]

Hard luck there. Hope you heal up soon and get back on riding you know you can

The M1 was supposed to be open at 14:00. When I drove passed an hour ago it was still closed at the Buccleuch Interchange.

If people were still exiting Carr Street on the double decker at 14:00 (let alone 15:00), I can see a lot of sweeper vehicles needed.

Eish! Met ys

Edited by geraldm24

Whoever had the idea of parking at fourways mall and riding to the start, I owe you a beer! What a pleasure.

Well done to all, for me the biggest heroes are the people that start with the last groups and slog it out for 6 hours.

Single speed not all it's cracked up to be eh? Well done for finishing!

Not at all... lol, Plus i ride 40 small chainring, didnt help much (tears) .. mentally kicked myself a LOtt !!!

I feel for you as I have not put enough training into the last 6 months, I started in H, made it into the paddocks with 2 minutes to spare(also parked at leaping frog - What a k@k little uphill back to the car after the ride), battled to stick with any decent groups that formed around me, either they were to quick for my legs or I would get sucked into a passing group only to get spat out 1km later and then get blown past by my old group(or the passing group would cause Chaos in our ranks) ... managed a 3:38... reasonable happy with it(based on the non-training) but would have proffered it closer to the 3 hour mark, I put every last drop of fuel I had left in the tank racing up cedar road thinking that was the last big hill(dumb move I know).....

Other then the above very happy racing earlier in the day compared to the prior 2 years where I only started at 9:55am...

Whoever had the idea of parking at fourways mall and riding to the start, I owe you a beer! What a pleasure.

Well done to all, for me the biggest heroes are the people that start with the last groups and slog it out for 6 hours.

If you parked at Leaping frog it was even closer, Next year I am leaving home at 4:30am not 5am as the traffic was Shyt when I got to william nicole.....