Two Riders Out Of Absa Cape Epic Due To Doping

News bot

Two South African mountain bikers are out of the Absa Cape Epic after failing anti-doping tests. One of the riders has been provisionally suspended by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) and in the meantime is not eligible to take part in any races sanctioned by the International Cycling Union (UCI) - including the Cape Epic. His case is currently being reviewed by SAIDS.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smimby

So a "funrider" can now be busted for taking cough syrup?....how do a funrider apply for exemption when they are using something that the doctor ordered?

I am all for a life time ban for the stuff you have to inject, take deliberately.

The guy who got three months was probably for dagga or hexan...(sp?) which can be ingested purely accidently. The SAIDS sanction should be enough. Not being completely vigilant is not the same as cheating.

A three month or less SAIDS sanction probably indicates it was a mistake rather than a deliberate cheat.

Sounds like the line is drawn in the wrong place.

Random testing at many events, one also does not need to be a Pro to get onto the podium, especially where separate age cats are catered for.

They had no problem releasing our very own MTBBAAISAAIKLIST's name so what's special about these 2?

he just got a lot of profile views ^_^

They had no problem releasing our very own MTBBAAISAAIKLIST's name so what's special about these 2?

What did I miss? :whistling:

There is no line, your either did or did not.

Same rules must be applied to all, even if you are plonking at the back.

Anti doping is not only about stopping cheating, it (should) be about protecting the health of riders.

I like what KV says hear, someone buy him a beer from me

“I don’t care whether a rider has been banned for three months or three years, if you cheat then we don’t have time for you - even if you are not earning a living from cycling, as is the case with these riders,” said Cape Epic founder Kevin Vermaak. “This is a new era in cycling, things are changing and I don’t want to entertain anybody who still feels the need to dope.”

I say good for catching and banning them.

(Note to self: Talk to GP about letter re. Voltaren for dickie right hip, right knee, right shoulder, whole back, left hand and all manner of high mileage niggles) ;)